EquiChain, a London-based fintech company, is in discussions with regulators to launch a pilot in emerging markets this year for end-to-end execution to custody using distributed ledger technology.
Nicholas Bone, founder and chief executive of EquiChain, said that that the firm is different from other DLT, or Blockchain, initiatives because it is working with regulators and it has focus on emerging markets.
“We are having a number of conversations with regulators as developing international standards for Blockchain is important in capital markets,” Bone added.
The International Organization of Securities Commissions warned in a report last week that the numerous Blockchain networks being developed need to communicate and operate with each other. Iosco said in a Research Report on Financial Technology that a large number of Blockchain proofs of concept are ongoing and even if they are successful, implementation in the securities markets may raise technological, operational, business and regulatory challenges including interoperability between different networks.
“In the potential area of application for post-trading settlement, it will be important to ensure interoperability among the systems of all current market participants (brokers, issuers, investors, trading venues and financial market infrastructure operators),” added Iosco. “It is also essential for different DLT networks to communicate and operate with each other.”
Bone continued that EquiChain will be able to work with any Blockchain protocol such as Hyperledger, Ripple or Corda.
Hyperledger is hosted by the Linux Foundation as an open source project for cross-industry Blockchain technologies; Ripple is an interbank rules-based Blockchain payments network while Corda has been developed as a Blockchain for use by regulated financial institutions by the R3 consortium, which has more than 70 members.
“We don’t want to get into a Betamax versus VHS situation,” added Bone, referring to the fight between different proprietary formats for home video recorders.
Hugh Madden, co-founder of Blockchain solutions provider ANX International, is EquiChain’s chief technology officer. He told Markets Media that EquiChain is working with a select group of institutions and regulators and chose to focus on emerging markets where there is less existing infrastructure, and so more incentive for change.
Equichain has an Asia regional office in Hong Kong and will begin in the Middle East with support from the Abu Dhabi Global Market, Bahrain Bourse and Qatar Stock Exchange. Asset managers such as Henderson Global Investors and Legal & General Investment Management are also supporters.
“We are working with people who want to move to Blockchain and redefine the post-trade architecture with the blessing of regulators,” said Madden. “For a fintech firm there is no easier time to engage with regulators as there has been a proliferation of sandboxes to allow testing.”
For example, the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority launched a sandbox in 2015 to allow businesses to test innovative products, services, business models and delivery mechanisms in a live environment and make it cheaper and quicker for fintech firms to meet regulatory requirements and go live.
Bone said EquiChain will initially focus on equities. “Once that is 90%
“Once that is 90% completed, then there is synergy to digitise other asset classes,” he added.
Blockchain has the potential to radically decrease post-trade costs through the use of a trusted centralised ledger which can be updated in near real-time, removing the need for numerous intermediaries between the counterparties of a trade.
For example, EquiChain’s working prototype is a hybrid system which consolidates the currently siloed functions of a securities transaction such as an asset manager, custodian, broker, exchange and central securities depository. Madden said: “EquiChain’s use of cryptographic signatures reduces counterparty risk and prevents fraud, making Blockchain-based transfers safer than other alternatives.”
Equichain also said today it has closed its initial funding round, secured from its board members, advisors and close stakeholders. The firm’s advisory board includes Peter Sands, former group chief executive of Standard Chartered; Markus Ruetimann, former group chief operating officer of Schroders and Sonia Rossetti, chair of SWIFT UK National Member Group and SWIFT UK board chair.
The Post-Trade Distributed Ledger Group of nearly 40 financial institutions and market infrastructures said in a report today that 48% of members believe Blockchain will be adopted in the financial post-trade area in three to five years. However, 21% also said adoption will take more than five years.
Jörn Tobias, managing director at State Street and PTDL group representative, said in a statement:
“The big barrier to growth, however, is seen as caution: fears over adoption and hesitation about embracing what remains cutting-edge technology. This is a core focus for the PTDL Group – engaging with financial services firms, technology companies and other stakeholders and helping catalyse adoption across the world for the benefit of all parties the financial post-trade area.”
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017
- Santa Claus Is Moving To Blockchain! Bye, Bye Chimney! - November 13, 2017
- Safinus Platform Wants to Unite Investors and Traders in One Place - November 13, 2017
- Exscudo Uses Multisignature Technology To Protect User Accounts - November 13, 2017
- Lykke To Support ERC20 Tokens In Latest Lykke Wallet Release - November 13, 2017
- Can Blockchain Revolutionise The Third Sector? Introducing The World’s First Recycling Intiative - November 13, 2017
- JBOX Announces Initial Coin Offering for Blockchain-Powered Decentralized Video Platform - November 13, 2017
- Perkins Coie Selected as a Founding Steward in Self-Sovereign Identity Network - November 13, 2017
- Waves Claims it Will Become the Fastest Blockchain Platform in the World - November 13, 2017
- Binary.com Announces ICO - November 13, 2017
- Finova Financial Announces The JOBS Crypto Offering (JCO): A Path To A Regulated Public Securities Offering for Non-Accredited Investors Using Cryptocurrency - November 13, 2017
- Dash Transactions Now 215 Times Cheaper Than Bitcoin After New Network Upgrade - November 13, 2017
- Tech Bureau’s mijin Opens Applications for Powerful New Enterprise Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Human Discovery Platform Launches Token Sale to Build the Largest Storage of Human Behavior Powered by Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- CarFix Will Repair Your Vehicle For A Fraction Of The Price, With Help From The Ethereum Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Neufund, Receives 10M Euro In Funding To Create ‘Equity Token’ - November 13, 2017
- Beenest Begins Decentralized Future For Short-term Housing Rentals - November 13, 2017
- CanYa Wants to Eliminate Crypto Volatility within Online Gig Economy Marketplace - November 13, 2017
- Allianz Pioneers Blockchain Prototype for the Captive Insurance Market - November 13, 2017
- Third Generation Cryptocurrency SkyCoin Aims to Shake up the Market - November 7, 2017
- DAO PlayMarket 2.0 – a New Era of Mobile Applications - November 7, 2017
- The International Scientific and Practical Association Jus Naturale – The first NGO with Blockchain-Based Membership - November 7, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes Lead Investor In Botanic Technologies And Seed Token, To Decentralize Bot Creation And Deployment - November 7, 2017
- TOKIT, Ethereum Blockchain Application Launches - November 6, 2017
- Australian Blockchain Startup HCash Raises $53M in ICO - November 6, 2017
- Publicly Listed Companies on Major Capital Markets to Raise Funds via ICOs? Yes, Says Pegasus Fintech - November 6, 2017
- Quantstamp Announces Partnership with Experty for Smart Contract Auditing Consultations - November 6, 2017
- Internxt Challenges Storj on Blockchain Storage Front - November 6, 2017
- ShoCard Announces Bob Tinker as Board Member - November 6, 2017
- Streamr Announces DATA Tokens Listed on Bitfinex, the Leading Global Exchange - November 6, 2017
- UltraPlay introduces eGold, the ultimate eSports betting cryptocurrency - November 6, 2017