EquiChain, a London-based fintech company, is in discussions with regulators to launch a pilot in emerging markets this year for end-to-end execution to custody using distributed ledger technology.
Nicholas Bone, founder and chief executive of EquiChain, said that that the firm is different from other DLT, or Blockchain, initiatives because it is working with regulators and it has focus on emerging markets.
“We are having a number of conversations with regulators as developing international standards for Blockchain is important in capital markets,” Bone added.
The International Organization of Securities Commissions warned in a report last week that the numerous Blockchain networks being developed need to communicate and operate with each other. Iosco said in a Research Report on Financial Technology that a large number of Blockchain proofs of concept are ongoing and even if they are successful, implementation in the securities markets may raise technological, operational, business and regulatory challenges including interoperability between different networks.
“In the potential area of application for post-trading settlement, it will be important to ensure interoperability among the systems of all current market participants (brokers, issuers, investors, trading venues and financial market infrastructure operators),” added Iosco. “It is also essential for different DLT networks to communicate and operate with each other.”
Bone continued that EquiChain will be able to work with any Blockchain protocol such as Hyperledger, Ripple or Corda.
Hyperledger is hosted by the Linux Foundation as an open source project for cross-industry Blockchain technologies; Ripple is an interbank rules-based Blockchain payments network while Corda has been developed as a Blockchain for use by regulated financial institutions by the R3 consortium, which has more than 70 members.
“We don’t want to get into a Betamax versus VHS situation,” added Bone, referring to the fight between different proprietary formats for home video recorders.
Hugh Madden, co-founder of Blockchain solutions provider ANX International, is EquiChain’s chief technology officer. He told Markets Media that EquiChain is working with a select group of institutions and regulators and chose to focus on emerging markets where there is less existing infrastructure, and so more incentive for change.
Equichain has an Asia regional office in Hong Kong and will begin in the Middle East with support from the Abu Dhabi Global Market, Bahrain Bourse and Qatar Stock Exchange. Asset managers such as Henderson Global Investors and Legal & General Investment Management are also supporters.
“We are working with people who want to move to Blockchain and redefine the post-trade architecture with the blessing of regulators,” said Madden. “For a fintech firm there is no easier time to engage with regulators as there has been a proliferation of sandboxes to allow testing.”
For example, the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority launched a sandbox in 2015 to allow businesses to test innovative products, services, business models and delivery mechanisms in a live environment and make it cheaper and quicker for fintech firms to meet regulatory requirements and go live.
Bone said EquiChain will initially focus on equities. “Once that is 90%
“Once that is 90% completed, then there is synergy to digitise other asset classes,” he added.
Blockchain has the potential to radically decrease post-trade costs through the use of a trusted centralised ledger which can be updated in near real-time, removing the need for numerous intermediaries between the counterparties of a trade.
For example, EquiChain’s working prototype is a hybrid system which consolidates the currently siloed functions of a securities transaction such as an asset manager, custodian, broker, exchange and central securities depository. Madden said: “EquiChain’s use of cryptographic signatures reduces counterparty risk and prevents fraud, making Blockchain-based transfers safer than other alternatives.”
Equichain also said today it has closed its initial funding round, secured from its board members, advisors and close stakeholders. The firm’s advisory board includes Peter Sands, former group chief executive of Standard Chartered; Markus Ruetimann, former group chief operating officer of Schroders and Sonia Rossetti, chair of SWIFT UK National Member Group and SWIFT UK board chair.
The Post-Trade Distributed Ledger Group of nearly 40 financial institutions and market infrastructures said in a report today that 48% of members believe Blockchain will be adopted in the financial post-trade area in three to five years. However, 21% also said adoption will take more than five years.
Jörn Tobias, managing director at State Street and PTDL group representative, said in a statement:
“The big barrier to growth, however, is seen as caution: fears over adoption and hesitation about embracing what remains cutting-edge technology. This is a core focus for the PTDL Group – engaging with financial services firms, technology companies and other stakeholders and helping catalyse adoption across the world for the benefit of all parties the financial post-trade area.”
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017