Today is the first day of the invite-only Lake Tahoe based Linux Foundation’s Open Source Leadership Summit, where Executive Director, Brian Behlendorf is to give an update to the community on Hyperledger, the largest open source private Blockchain currently being managed by the Linux team.
Behlendorf blogged on the one-year milestone:
Last February, The Linux Foundation announced 30 founding members and six of those proposed contributions of code to advance blockchain technology under Hyperledger. Fast forward to today, Hyperledger is now the fastest growing project ever hosted by The Linux Foundation. More than 110 member companies that span numerous industries make up the project and support five incubated open source projects. Hyperledger membership is truly global with 39% in APAC (25% in China), 20% in EMEA and 41% spread across North America. Below is an overview highlighting the important achievements in Hyperledger’s first year.
In May 2016, the co-founder of the Apache Software Foundation, Brian Behlendorf joined Hyperledger. Like any great collaborative effort, Hyperledger needed direction and as a veteran of free and open software projects, Brian was the perfect person to embody the values of the Hyperledger community. Not soon after, Brian laid out the vision he had for Hyperledger to become more of an umbrella effort for software developer communities building open source blockchain and related technologies. Today, Hyperledger consists of not only Fabric and Sawtooth Lake, but also Blockchain Explorer, Cello, Iroha, and many other projects are on the way.
The Fabric and Sawtooth Lake projects picked up new contributions, developer momentum, and significant commercial interest over the past year. In fact, we saw more than 25 proof of concepts and pilots built on top of the technologies in 2016 by some of the world’s leading financial services institutions. The healthcare industry started to get interested in blockchain technology in 2016, so Hyperledger launched a Healthcare Working Group in October to house and foster technical and business-level conversations about appropriate applications for blockchain technology. New members Airbus, Wanda, and Energy Blockchain Labs point to even more industries with the potential to be reinvented by blockchain technology in 2017.
“While Hyperledger is still a relatively young initiative, the strong momentum we have after just one year is truly incredible. The quantity and quality of organizations of all different sizes that have joined the project, as well as its global expansion, has established Hyperledger as the premier venue for open source collaboration for the blockchain industry. This shows great promise for Distributed Ledger Technology beyond proof of concepts to full blown production deployments in many applications and industries in 2017.”
– Dan O’Prey of Digital Asset and chair of the Hyperledger Marketing Committee.
As for the Hyperledger community, it grew to 8,848 members across 38 Meetups, all over the world. From Sydney, to Beijing, to Singapore, to Tokyo, Dubai, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Berlin, Madrid, Paris, London, Silicon Valley, New York, Boston, to many of the largest cities across the globe. Our Rocket.Chat channel has grown to more than 5,300 people.
“We held eight hackfests/hackathons in the past year in New York, Amsterdam and San Francisco, where hundreds of developers showed up to work together on Hyperledger,” stated Behlendorf.
“I’m really pleased with the progress we’ve made in the first year in building a collaborative spirit amongst the contributors on the various incubating projects. Contributions come in a variety of forms, ranging from code contributions, user feedback, use case and requirements analysis, editorial contributions on documentation and offers to lead or participate in the various technical working groups. All of these contributions help to advance the goals of Hyperledger and are equally valued.”
– Christopher Ferris of IBM and chair of the Hyperledger Technical Steering Committee
From an awareness perspective, Hyperledger was mentioned in more than 5,500 global stories in the past year, in top tier publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, American Banker, Reuters, and many others. Hyperledger garnered more than 9,000 followers on Twitter, and its other social channels also saw significant growth.
“We owe a lot of the growth and success of Hyperledger in its first year to The Linux Foundation’s model of governance (both in terms of a business and technical perspective). The model has allowed for collaboration at the highest level among organizations of all shapes and sizes, as well as for developer communities, and technical experts to iterate in an open, fair and structured manner. All contributions are valued and are encouraged within Hyperledger. As of the end of January, the project has seen 3,821 commits made by 119 contributors representing 222,865 lines of code. That’s terrific for a first-year effort, and momentum continues to grow.”
“As we head towards further maturation of the Hyperledger umbrella projects to 1.0 releases and beyond, our goal is to increase enterprise developer interest and traction by communicating the benefits of developing in a truly open community. Like we see in other thriving open source communities, the power comes from public development processes, from the “do-ocracy” where governance is based on participation, and where development ideas get input and scrutiny from some of the brightest developers in the industry. The end result of all this, is code that will change how the world works.”
“We’re excited for what the future holds; We hope that you join us in the fun: https://www.hyperledger.org/. Stay up to date with all Hyperledger news here or follow us on Twitter to stay current. We hold regular hackfests for Hyperledger, so be sure to check out the events page and join us for the next one!”
- NEM.io Foundation to Create a XEM Exchange - July 27, 2017
- Zeppelin Solutions Introduces ZeppelinOS: An Operating System for Smart Contract Applications - July 27, 2017
- Hash Rush, the First Hash-Powered Online Game to Launch Token Sale - July 26, 2017
- The US SEC Issues Investigative Report on ICOs and Token Sales – Calling Some Securities - July 26, 2017
- ACT, a Decentralized Autonomous Organization for Citizen Action, is using the Ether Cryptocurrency to support a Community Fighting Opencast Coal Mining in Wales - July 25, 2017
- Giant Pepe and Vitalik Buterin Busts Capture Attention as Uncensorable Art in Decentraland Alpha - July 25, 2017
- Skycoin Distribution Event moved to August 8th, 2017 - July 25, 2017
- Propy, World’s First Global Property Store with Decentralized Title Registry Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- DAO.Casino and True Flip Announce Strategic Partnership - July 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Adjoint Announces First Close of One Million Dollar Pre-Seed Round - July 24, 2017
- Ambrosus, the Trusted Food Ecosystem, Launches To Assure Food Quality from Farm to Fork - July 24, 2017
- Pillar Token Sale Raises $21 million for Personal Data Locker - July 24, 2017
- Waves Launches Ether Gateway - July 24, 2017
- Dash Passes Apple’s Rigorous Review Process And Becomes An Approved Digital Currency - July 24, 2017
- Decentraland Announces Anticipated Token Sale for Massive Virtual Reality Economy - July 24, 2017
- First Block Capital Launches Canada’s First Bitcoin Trust Through FrontFundr - July 24, 2017
- Smart Volume Analysis Crypto Trading Fund Launches Token Sale - July 24, 2017
- investFeed Kicks Off ‘Unconventional,’ Responsible, Hard Cap Token Generation Event - July 24, 2017
- Dutch Blockchain Startup AdCoin Promises Alternative for the Online Advertising Market - July 24, 2017
- Skycoin To Launch Coin Distribution Event July 24, 2017 - July 21, 2017
- CoinAgenda Europe 2017 Blockchain Winners Announced - July 20, 2017
- BurstIQ Announces Token Crowdsale for its Health Data Ecosystem and Marketplace - July 20, 2017
- Gaming cryptocurrency meets online betting: Loot.bet pledges support to SkinCoin - July 20, 2017
- Kybernetwork Introduces A Decentralized Platform For The Instant Trading Of Any Crypto-asset - July 19, 2017
- Announcement of Proof of Existence 2.0 – PO.ET Token Sale August 8, 2017 - July 19, 2017
- Equities.com and KrowdMentor Announce Exclusive Strategic Partnership at CoinAgenda - July 19, 2017
- NASSCOM in association with BlockSmiths & Quatrro forms India’s First Blockchain SIG - July 18, 2017
- DENT Partners with Aquto to Bring Decentralized Global Mobile Data Exchange to 500 Million People - July 18, 2017
- Moeda Cooperative Banking-as-a-Service Relaunches Digital Token - July 18, 2017
- Aicoin Launches Today – Next Generation Of Investment Innovation In Initial Coin Offerings - July 18, 2017
- Pillar Tokens worth $12 Million Sold in First Hour of Sale - July 17, 2017
- CausePlay’s Thirtythree.8 Division Is Launching The Virtual Cash Back Token (VCB) and Its Ethereum-Based Blockchain Coupon and Rebate Platform - July 16, 2017
- Kazakhstan Becomes The Second Government To Embrace The Cryptocurrency Market System - July 16, 2017
- EnvisionX to Bring Blockchain to Programmatic Advertising - July 16, 2017
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Unveils New Technical Steering Committee and Seven New Working Groups - July 16, 2017
- Hungry Panda Games Launches ICO – Ethereum Powered Game And Esports Ecosystem - July 16, 2017
- CakeCodes Announces Highly-Anticipated Hybrid-Model Token Generation Event Via Bittrex - July 16, 2017
- Santiment Announces SAN Tokens Now Trading on Bitfinex - July 15, 2017
- Exchange Union Coin To Bridge Digital Currency Exchanges For Enhanced Trading - July 15, 2017
- Harbour DAO Updates Their ICO Model and Voting System to More Closely Align with a Commitment to Community-driven Governance - July 15, 2017
- ACChain Digital Coin Begins Trading on Japan’s NERAEX Exchange - July 14, 2017
- Token Sales For Entrepreneurs: A Workshop On Token Economic Design And Legal Compliance - July 13, 2017
- New York Trading Platform investFeed Replaces Equities for Cryptocurrency - July 13, 2017
- Falcon First Swiss Private Bank To Enter Blockchain Asset Management Market With Bitcoin - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain technology breaking barriers for effective foreign aid - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Genomics company raises over $1M with Gene-Chain Coin Token Sales - July 12, 2017
- ANZ, Westpac, Scentre and IBM Complete Successful Blockchain Trial for Bank Guarantees - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Based Ticketing Company Aventus Systems Announces Advisory Board - July 12, 2017
- DENT Wireless is the First Blockchain Platform to Power New Mobile Data Exchange Marketplace - July 12, 2017
- Blockchain Music Sharing Platform Aurovine Launches in India - July 12, 2017