Today is the first day of the invite-only Lake Tahoe based Linux Foundation’s Open Source Leadership Summit, where Executive Director, Brian Behlendorf is to give an update to the community on Hyperledger, the largest open source private Blockchain currently being managed by the Linux team.
Behlendorf blogged on the one-year milestone:
Last February, The Linux Foundation announced 30 founding members and six of those proposed contributions of code to advance blockchain technology under Hyperledger. Fast forward to today, Hyperledger is now the fastest growing project ever hosted by The Linux Foundation. More than 110 member companies that span numerous industries make up the project and support five incubated open source projects. Hyperledger membership is truly global with 39% in APAC (25% in China), 20% in EMEA and 41% spread across North America. Below is an overview highlighting the important achievements in Hyperledger’s first year.
In May 2016, the co-founder of the Apache Software Foundation, Brian Behlendorf joined Hyperledger. Like any great collaborative effort, Hyperledger needed direction and as a veteran of free and open software projects, Brian was the perfect person to embody the values of the Hyperledger community. Not soon after, Brian laid out the vision he had for Hyperledger to become more of an umbrella effort for software developer communities building open source blockchain and related technologies. Today, Hyperledger consists of not only Fabric and Sawtooth Lake, but also Blockchain Explorer, Cello, Iroha, and many other projects are on the way.
The Fabric and Sawtooth Lake projects picked up new contributions, developer momentum, and significant commercial interest over the past year. In fact, we saw more than 25 proof of concepts and pilots built on top of the technologies in 2016 by some of the world’s leading financial services institutions. The healthcare industry started to get interested in blockchain technology in 2016, so Hyperledger launched a Healthcare Working Group in October to house and foster technical and business-level conversations about appropriate applications for blockchain technology. New members Airbus, Wanda, and Energy Blockchain Labs point to even more industries with the potential to be reinvented by blockchain technology in 2017.
“While Hyperledger is still a relatively young initiative, the strong momentum we have after just one year is truly incredible. The quantity and quality of organizations of all different sizes that have joined the project, as well as its global expansion, has established Hyperledger as the premier venue for open source collaboration for the blockchain industry. This shows great promise for Distributed Ledger Technology beyond proof of concepts to full blown production deployments in many applications and industries in 2017.”
– Dan O’Prey of Digital Asset and chair of the Hyperledger Marketing Committee.
As for the Hyperledger community, it grew to 8,848 members across 38 Meetups, all over the world. From Sydney, to Beijing, to Singapore, to Tokyo, Dubai, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Berlin, Madrid, Paris, London, Silicon Valley, New York, Boston, to many of the largest cities across the globe. Our Rocket.Chat channel has grown to more than 5,300 people.
“We held eight hackfests/hackathons in the past year in New York, Amsterdam and San Francisco, where hundreds of developers showed up to work together on Hyperledger,” stated Behlendorf.
“I’m really pleased with the progress we’ve made in the first year in building a collaborative spirit amongst the contributors on the various incubating projects. Contributions come in a variety of forms, ranging from code contributions, user feedback, use case and requirements analysis, editorial contributions on documentation and offers to lead or participate in the various technical working groups. All of these contributions help to advance the goals of Hyperledger and are equally valued.”
– Christopher Ferris of IBM and chair of the Hyperledger Technical Steering Committee
From an awareness perspective, Hyperledger was mentioned in more than 5,500 global stories in the past year, in top tier publications including the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, American Banker, Reuters, and many others. Hyperledger garnered more than 9,000 followers on Twitter, and its other social channels also saw significant growth.
“We owe a lot of the growth and success of Hyperledger in its first year to The Linux Foundation’s model of governance (both in terms of a business and technical perspective). The model has allowed for collaboration at the highest level among organizations of all shapes and sizes, as well as for developer communities, and technical experts to iterate in an open, fair and structured manner. All contributions are valued and are encouraged within Hyperledger. As of the end of January, the project has seen 3,821 commits made by 119 contributors representing 222,865 lines of code. That’s terrific for a first-year effort, and momentum continues to grow.”
“As we head towards further maturation of the Hyperledger umbrella projects to 1.0 releases and beyond, our goal is to increase enterprise developer interest and traction by communicating the benefits of developing in a truly open community. Like we see in other thriving open source communities, the power comes from public development processes, from the “do-ocracy” where governance is based on participation, and where development ideas get input and scrutiny from some of the brightest developers in the industry. The end result of all this, is code that will change how the world works.”
“We’re excited for what the future holds; We hope that you join us in the fun: https://www.hyperledger.org/. Stay up to date with all Hyperledger news here or follow us on Twitter to stay current. We hold regular hackfests for Hyperledger, so be sure to check out the events page and join us for the next one!”
- Founder and CEO of eToro, Yoni Assia, Joins Bancor Protocol Advisory Board - May 25, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Exscudo Rolls Out EON Source Code On GitHub - May 24, 2017
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017