R3CEV, the largest Blockchain consortium got caught in a semantic whirlwind last week when it was noted in a slide presentation at an event for its Distributed Ledger Technology or Private Blockchain platform Corda – that they have officially moved on from ‘Blockchain technology’ development. The cryptocommunity lined up en masse to digitally jeer the bankers, particularly at Reddit.
pluribusblanks wrote at Reddit.
They don’t ‘need’ a Blockchain because it is not possible for a centralized, bank-like entity to offer the services to users that the decentralized permissionless Bitcoin Blockchain offers,
R3 founder David Rutter followed up with a retort in the organisation’s blog:
Corda’s open source distributed ledger technology was designed from the ground up to address the specific needs of the financial services industry. It is heavily inspired by and captures the benefits of blockchain systems, but with design choices that make it able to meet the needs of regulated financial institutions.
Crucially, Corda restricts access to data within an agreement to only those explicitly entitled to it, rather than the entire network. And financial agreements on Corda are intended to be enforceable, linking business logic and data to associated legal prose in order to ensure that the financial agreements on the platform are rooted firmly in law.
Corda was designed from the ground up to address the specific needs of the financial services industry. There are currently very few tangible examples of distributed ledger platforms in the market – and none that were developed with over 70 global institutions from all corners of the financial services industry. It is unique and its launch was a landmark moment for the market.
The project has been somewhat of a disaster recently with a number of members bailing out due to internal conflict over open source versus proprietary – as some of the banks and other partners were taking out patents on Blockchain – orginally released by Satoshi Nakamoto as open source software.
For instance, Goldman Sachs was taking out patents on Blockchain and there were already tensions rising in October with European R3 members apparantly getting irate that the Americans were playing both sides, but trying to secure intellectual property rights by filing for proprietary patents while still participating in the Corda project.
The decision by R3 to open source Corda and merge it with Hyperledger was probably the last straw for some in the organsiation at any rate.
In a presentation about the R3 Corda, R3CEV engineers, developers and researchers stated “No ‘Blockchain’ because we don’t need one,” admitting that the utilization and implementation of Blockchain doesn’t fit their vision and more importantly, technological compatibility. One assumes they meant Public Blockchains.
They soon followed up with another slide, mocking their critics.
And David Rutter followed up with a retort in the organisation’s blog:
When is a Blockchain not a Blockchain? When it’s corda.
The issue of semantics is always a challenge as new ideas, technologies and cultural phenomena work their way into mainstream consciousness and the media. Rewind a few years and who would have thought the oxford english dictionary’s definition of ‘meme’ would be updated to refer to a picture of a grumpy cat or a sad michael jordan on instagram?
When we launched r3 in 2015, we were among a handful of companies inspired by the technology underpinning bitcoin, known as Blockchain, and its potential application to wholesale financial markets. Conversations in boardrooms and the media revolved around Blockchain, which at that point was the most pertinent example of distributed ledger technology in the mainstream consciousness.
Humans are creatures of habit. As time went on, the term Blockchain came to be associated with any type of distributed ledger, even as the technology matured and evolved to meet the needs of different groups of users. This isn’t an issue unique to our space. The marketing team at canon must have spent countless hours working out how to stop people referring to all copy machines as xeroxs’.
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy - September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light - September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network - September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale - September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece - September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows - September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017