At the recent d10e event in Bucharest managing partner of Blockchain Capital Brock Pierce announced plans to partly raise a new $50 million fund by issuing its own digital tokens in an Initial Coin Offering (ICO) becoming the first VC to jump into the fray.
Pierce was pragmatic about it while announcing to the crowd in Romania – stating that it was a risk they really wanted to take, but was also a little uncertain how it would play out.
“Every morning I get up I am totally excited to enter into another day of Blockchain – we are investing half a million a month,” stated Pierce.
In a later interview in Bloomberg Pierce said the ICO could take place “in the next month or two,” and the company will more fully describe the tokens, which are expected to trade on secondary markets, in an upcoming offering memorandum, which will be issued through TokenHub in about a month.
“We think this is the future of venture capital,” Pierce said. “We’ll be the first in the world to do this. We want to democratize venture capital. We think this is going to change the game, this is going to completely disrupt the VC industry.”
Blockchain startups doing ICOs have raised about $270 million last year according to Blockchain researcher Smith & Crown and they are popular as even small investors typically afford to invest, you don’t need to be accredited and buyers can trade them on secondary markets, instead of sticking around long term.
The regulatory uncertainty around ICOs is what allows anyone from anywhere who wants to make the choice to invest, the ability to do so without being told they are unaccredited (not wealthy enough to play).
The regulatory uncertainty allows for the ICOs to move at pace of innovation that is not tied to pencil pushers lobbied by big interest groups to create laws that inhibit or even snuff out the ecosystem.
Governments are national while ICOs take place in a global setting. The US SEC and other regulatory bodies are moot for the most part as US and other investors are investing with pseudonymity using Bitcoin which is not even considered money by most governments – but rather a capital asset.
And for most ICOs, the startups are not even offering any equity but just the chance to buy into the currency at reduced rates for bigger profits after the ICO on the cyptocurrency exchanges.
The ICO community crowdsources due diligence on upcoming ICOs which offers a high level of self-regulation and industry security.
In the crypto-hangouts – particular at Bitcointalk where almost all ICOs are first broadcast, scores of net-savvy investors start googling the history of the founders and teams, ripping apart the code, hammering the theory, and generally kicking the living shit out of the concept – by the tens. Then they out scammers who end up shrivelling out the forum with their tails tucked and hang the ICO. You also have new companies like Smith and Crown doing great work analysing ICOs and others are now moving into that space and providing more centralised market intelligence.
In terms of ‘breaking the law’ when it comes to spending your own money as one sees fit in an investment they feel they can handle – Obama opened the doors slightly with the JOBS act and one does not have to be an accredited investor to reap rewards any longer. And so it should be.
But the Americans are already three years behind the UK and Netherlands in crowdfinancing. ICOs are, in particular, have been a panacea to American investors (particularly those with a lot of unclaimed cryptocurrency) who want to participate.
One glaring issue that many VC will have with the ICO arena is the fact that many of the projects are open source software and hardware projects which are usually the kind of investments that get kicked to the curb by most traditional investors. Propietary means patents and Intellectual Property means protection of assets. Giving everything away via Open Source is not considered the best business strategy by most investors. Except the ones who get it.
Secondly there is no equity in many cases – believe it or not – most Blockchain startups doing ICOs don’t go the equity route just to keep far from the problem of securities – and for most investors, they are happy to play the exchanges after the ICO and buy and sell much like the Forex scene.
Yes, it is the Wild West – there’s quite a lot of Bitcoin and Ether profit floating around that is getting pumped into these projects. Half of all Bitcoins are in the hands of less than 1000 people out of a $15 billion market cap. They are called Bitcoin whales. And they are the ones manning the pumps for a large part of the $270 million invested via ICOs over the past year.
Blockchain Capital is smart to take a leap into this space because it will encourage others – particularly if Pierce can turn a healthy profit.
Recently Polychain Capital raised $10 million from Andreessen Horowitz and Union Square Ventures for a cryptocurrency hedge fund, but Pierce it taking it one step further by actually doing his own ICO with Blockchain Partners. With Blockchain Partner’s strong track record and history of supporting the cryptocurrency scene, it’s highly like Pierce has nothing to worry about and this could be the beginning of the next chapter for venture capitalism.
- Blockchain Startup Binded Raises $950k in Seed Round to Democratize Copyright - May 24, 2017
- Waves launches Gatway for the Euro - May 23, 2017
- Netki & Bitt Production Release Underway with Caribbean Financial Institution - May 23, 2017
- Kibo Lotto Launched in Ethereum Test Network - May 23, 2017
- Deloitte’s Blockchain Team Unveils Prototypes, Research and Alliances at Consensus 2017 - May 23, 2017
- Swiss e-government startup Procivis releases integrated e-identity platform - May 23, 2017
- Blockchain Wallet Jaxx Announces Massive Expansion - May 22, 2017
- ShapeShift Launches First Trustless Asset Portfolio Platform - May 22, 2017
- Status.im and Bancor Protocol Cut Deal to Issue Tokens From Smartphones - May 22, 2017
- Future\Perfect Lab Launches Blockchain, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Security Convergence Project - May 21, 2017
- Storj Labs Claims Number Two ICO Spot With $20 Million Raised in Less than Six Hours - May 19, 2017
- Starta ICO Announces Crowdsale for Eastern European VC Vehicle on Waves Platform - May 19, 2017
- SingularDTV Announces New 11 Application Ecosystem - May 19, 2017
- Storj Labs Launches Token Sale - May 19, 2017
- CORION Announces Full-Service Blockchain Platform to Build and Manage Any Business - May 19, 2017
- Luxembourg Blockchain Group Incorporates Infrachain a.s.b.l. - May 18, 2017
- Fintech Investment Group Launches With AI Forex Trading Platform And Compcoin Digital Tokens Ahead Of Initial Coin Offering - May 18, 2017
- IBM and Chile’s Santiago Exchange to Deliver World’s First Securities Lending Blockchain Solution - May 18, 2017
- Supercomputer Organized by Network Mining (SONM) announces ICO - May 18, 2017
- Digital Assess Wants to Use Blockchain Technology to Replace Paper Qualifications - May 18, 2017
- Aragon Smashes ICO Record Pulling in $25 million in 15 Minutes - May 18, 2017
- Bloq Launches BloqLabs to Bring Open Source Blockchain Technologies to Enterprise - May 17, 2017
- Wagerr (WGR) — Sports Betting on the Blockchain - May 17, 2017
- Avalon Life Puts Land Ownership on Blockchain, Launches GREEN EARTH ZERO Service with NEM Technology - May 17, 2017
- Swiss EY Team Joins Polybius Cryptobank as Advisors, ICO to Follow - May 17, 2017
- IOTA Announces $2 Million IOTA Ecosystem Fund - May 17, 2017
- Crypviser Blockchain-Based Encrypted Communication Platform Announces the ICO of CVCoin Tokens - May 17, 2017
- Blockchain App Puts An End To Medical Records Being Held To Ransom - May 17, 2017
- Report on Blockchain Start-up Marketing Maturity Shows Challenges and Opportunities Ahead - May 17, 2017
- BlockEx Partners With Winston & Strawn to Leverage Blockchain for Bond Issuance - May 17, 2017
- US Brokerage Petitions SEC to Get Moving on ICOs - May 17, 2017
- Silicon Valley’s Boost VC to Invest in ICOs - May 16, 2017
- Aragon Partners with Leading Digital Asset Exchange ShapeShift Ahead of Highly Anticipated Token Sale - May 16, 2017
- LuxTrust and Cambridge Blockchain Announce Privacy-Protecting Identity Platform - May 15, 2017
- Sphre Partners with Airbitz to Power Secure Blockchain-Based Identity Management - May 15, 2017
- Furtherfield Gallery – Blockchain Art Exhibition London - May 12, 2017
- P2pfisy: An Innovative, Cross-sectoral Perspective On The Ongoing Disintermediation Of Financial Systems. - May 12, 2017
- How Exscudo Helps You To Store Cryptocurrencies - May 12, 2017
- Blockchain-Fueled Waves Platform Integrated in Microsoft Azure - May 12, 2017
- Nick Gogerty Joins the Lykke Team as Chief Strategist - May 12, 2017
- Countr POS Partners with Coinify to bring Blockchain Payments to its Merchants - May 12, 2017
- Wall Street Fintech PR Agency, Wachsman PR, Chooses Dublin as European HQ - May 12, 2017
- London Crypofinancing Conference – The Future of Startup Finance – Initial Coin Offerings, Token Sales, Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain - May 12, 2017
- AST to Deliver Blockchain-based Proxy Voting Solution - May 10, 2017
- Cofound.it Launches Token Sale for Startup Platform - May 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Expands, Partners with Cicada - May 9, 2017
- Gideon Greenspan – Where Flexible Thinking is Preferable to Dogmatism – The Blockchain Immutability Myth - May 9, 2017
- Mathematician and Israeli Bitcoin Association Chairman Meni Rosenfeld Joins Bancor Advisory Board - May 7, 2017
- South Korea’s BOScoin announces ICO May 10th, 2017 - May 6, 2017
- ICO Token Raises Blow Past VC for Blockchain Investment in last 12 Months - May 6, 2017