Blockchain technology is a solution to many issues but it also is ridden by its own inherent problems. The more complex issues the technology tackles the more visible its own shortcomings become. Smart contracts were a huge breakthrough for various Blockchain solutions but were they perfectly designed? Problems of the existing Blockchain-based smart contracts have been widely discussed within the cryptocommunity.
Why not to store smart contracts on-chain?
One of those issues is that using a Blockchain’s distributed ledger is not a very efficient way to perform large computations sometimes needed in order to meet contract conditions as stressed Bitcoin Core developer Gregory Maxwell in his comment on the topic:
“Smart contracts in a public ledger system are a predicate – Bitcoin’s creator understood this. They take input – about the transaction, and perhaps the chain – and they accept or reject the update to the system. The network of thousands of nodes all around the world doesn’t give a darn about the particulars of the computation, they care only that it was accepted. The transaction is free to provide arbitrary side information to help it make its decision.
Deciding if an arbitrarily complex condition was met doesn’t require a turing complete language or what not,” he said.
So the Bitcoin Core’s approach is to host all the conditions for transactions outside the main-chain and to use scripting, foregoing Turing-completeness and thus flexibility of the Ethereum Virtual Machine for the sake of security.
“Doing heavy computation on the Blockchain is indeed insane; that’s what services like the ethereum computation market are for,” commented Vitalik Buterin himself on Reddit.
However, the introduction of third-party computations may lead to excessive trust issues, when dealing with either owners of computational facilities themselves or some authority vetting each provider on the market. Obviously, this signifies that the system has to be further centralized as a result.
It can also be argued that while the overall consensus on the Blockchain is important, it is still ridiculously inefficient and even not needed in many cases to agree on everything each time. Moreover, “reaching multi-party decentralized global consensus quickly is trading off security for speed”, according to Thaddeus Dryja of LN.
With state channels to Aeternity
A more elegant solution for Blockchain scalability has been proposed by another initiative called Aeternity. The project’s team led by one of the early Blockchain technology enthusiasts Yanislav Malahov aims to alleviate the existing smart contract inefficiency by introducing a novel extension over Blockchain called “state channels”.
Similarly to payment channels of Lightning Network, state channels can operate the information off the main chain privately between counterparties in a trustless way. As evident from the name, the distinction from payment channels is that Aeternity’s state channels can host not only transactions, but also a contract’s current state. These state channels also enable instant, parallelized conditional transactions instead of rowing them up, which also adds to the overall system’s performance.
Thus the Blockchain itself serves mostly as a collective authority, in a sense acting as a decentralized cryptocourt, resolving disagreements between counterparties.
“Malahov’s approach to decentralized processing elegantly addresses issues of scale, by taking the state channel approach to the nth degree,” Trent McConaghy, co-founder and chief technology officer at BigchainDB.
The ability of state channels to interconnect within trustless networks and to perform high-frequency conditional transactions privately paves way for various decentralized yet highly efficient applications. The obvious examples are high-frequency trustless exchanges, instant conditional micropayments, and IoT. State channels can also be employed by services that rely on channeling frequent micro-payments, like streaming platforms.
Another issue solved by Aeternity is that Blockchains virtually exist as insular ecosystems being unable to consistently access the real world data, which cannot be predefined by system developers.
However, what happens when a smart contract execution needs to be triggered by a real world event such as presidential election outcome, natural disaster or weather conditions? This is publicly available information, however, how can we decide on which source of data (a.k.a oracle) is valid? This issue has long been vexing many Ethereum-based projects. For instance, projects dealing with insurance or IOT. It can be said that the problem of communication between real and virtual worlds is among the key challenges of the entire Blockchain industry.
The use of centralized oracles is a bottleneck leading to less fault tolerance and possibly even tyranny of a single authority. There were some attempts to use prediction markets as the aggregated source of the information being the additional layer over the existing Blockchains. Still, this was not very economically efficient before, because in that case we had to pay for two layers of consensus: the first one is the state of the Blockchain itself and the other one is consensus over the state of the world outside the Blockchain.
In Aeternity, the decentralized oracles become a part of on-chain consensus. Every network participant is able to request public data and prediction markets are incentivised to provide this data on the Blockchain. In a way Blockchain itself assumes the role of public arbitrator thus preserving trustlessness of the system. This makes Aeternity’s oracles much more stable and cost efficient than in two-tier Blockchain systems.
“We have developed a separate Blockchain solution, more so it’s not about bandwidth but rather the ability to code smart contracts without taking up network resources to execute them,” explained project’s founder Yanislav Malahov.
As stated by the developers, while Aeternity Core is written in Erlang to ensure superior operational stability and performance, smart contracts will be programmed via an original, easy to master programming language.
Blockchain is a young industry that keeps evolving incessantly. Perhaps Aeternity’s new take on smart contracts and oracles will lead to a new turn in development of Blockchain platforms.
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017
- Japanese Blockchain Startup releases VALU – Social Media Value That Can Be Traded - May 31, 2017
- MetaX and ConsenSys Announce adToken Sale June 26, 2017 - May 31, 2017
- Blockchain Indy Production Start Up to make a TV Series about the Bitcoin Revolution. Fans invest to help tell the story! - May 31, 2017
- Chat Platform Kik to Integrate Kin Token as First Mainstream Adoption of Cryptocurrency - May 31, 2017
- VPN Blockchain Startup Mysterium Network Raises 68,629 ETH ($14,358,975 USD) in under 45 minutes - May 30, 2017
- XinFin Introduces Blockchain-based Institutional Financing Marketplace Alongside Pre-ICO Token Sale - May 30, 2017
- European Energy Companies to Test Peer-to-Peer Trading Over The Blockchain - May 30, 2017