Twenty three European energy trading firms have joined forces in order to conduct peer-to-peer trading in the wholesale energy market using innovative Blockchain technology. Trading will take place on an enhanced Enerchain framework a Blockchain based application developed by PONTON that has already been used to execute the first European energy trade over the Blockchain at last year’s EMART conference in Amsterdam.
The Enerchain software allows trading organisations, using encryption technology, to anonymously send orders to a decentralised orderbook which can be hit by other trading organisations. All this is done “peer-to-peer” without a central marketplace operated by a third party.
The early mover group participants have committed to share the required development costs in order to proof the concept with a full-scale prototype which is integrated into participants existing trading infrastructure and supports a decentralised credit limit solution required for bilateral trading.
The variety of participants is reflected in the broad range of traded products, including forward trades, spot trades, load curves and more exotic trades all with physical delivery as well as the focus on regional markets. Enerchain is going to support a broad range of energy products like dayahead, monthly, quarterly and yearly baseload for power and gas. Find out more about Enerchain here.
During the proof of concept participants will get significant exposure to the Blockchain technology and find out whether a decentralised solution can support the trading volumes and transactional speed known from existing markets. Applying Blockchain technology in energy markets promises more efficient operational processes and reduced transaction cost.
Enerchain is powered by Tendermint, the leading open source Blockchain engine. Partner and provider of the trading screen technology in the project is pdv Financial Software GmbH, a sister company of PONTON, which develops innovative platforms for trading, position keeping and risk management as well as exchange platforms for various types of securities across asset classes, associated derivatives and treasury products.
PONTON is in discussion with further interested companies that consider joining the initiative and anticipates that the number of participants will be enlarged.
The proof of concept will run until the end of 2017. A crucial phase of the project will be during the fourth quarter when participants intend to start live trading on Enerchain. If successful, Enerchain would be the first Blockchain-based P2P trading system for wholesale energy products going live.
Petter Torp, Head of Operations at Alpiq says: “Alpiq is in the forefront of digitalization and as a natural next step the participation in this proof of concept is in line with how Alpiq would like to further evaluate opportunities within our trading processes. By participating in the early mover group, Alpiq will get a first insight into how to increase the level of digitalization which is in line with the strategy of Alpiq to be a market leader in this field”.
“We are verynel we are implementing the Open Innovation approach to tackle the challenges of the current energy scenario and as such we are an active promoter of the Blockchain initiative. This new technology will bring significant value to the industry as long as the energy community acts together.”
“Total is focused on ensuring high security standards for the Gas and Power Trading processes. If successful, this initiative with Enerchain, could enable a leap forward for the whole trade lifecycle. For Total, it offers the opportunity to improve our understanding of the Blockchain technology and its potential applications to support internal processes,” stated Philippe Chauvain , Vice President Risk Control and IT – Total Gas & Power Limited.
“We are working with PONTON to provide the best scalable consensus middleware (Tendermint) so that PONTON can rapidly innovate in the energy Blockchain vertical. We’re excited to see PONTON develop on our platform and contribute to the Tendermint ecosystem,” said Jae Kwon, Founder and CEO Tendermint.
Michael Merz, managing director of PONTON added:
“Blockchain technology is a new way to create disruptive software applications and business models. After having experienced increasing marketing buzz from the FinTech and energy sectors, PONTON has decided to actually implement an own Blockchain stack on top of the Tendermint software. The project practically shows the power of the Blockchain by creating a marketplace that does not require a physically centralised platform. Enerchaindemonstrates what can be expected for the future in related areas of energy trading: P2P wholesale trading, flexibility trading in the regional grid, and synchronising grid management processes between TSOs and DSOs“.
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017