Twenty three European energy trading firms have joined forces in order to conduct peer-to-peer trading in the wholesale energy market using innovative Blockchain technology. Trading will take place on an enhanced Enerchain framework a Blockchain based application developed by PONTON that has already been used to execute the first European energy trade over the Blockchain at last year’s EMART conference in Amsterdam.
The Enerchain software allows trading organisations, using encryption technology, to anonymously send orders to a decentralised orderbook which can be hit by other trading organisations. All this is done “peer-to-peer” without a central marketplace operated by a third party.
The early mover group participants have committed to share the required development costs in order to proof the concept with a full-scale prototype which is integrated into participants existing trading infrastructure and supports a decentralised credit limit solution required for bilateral trading.
The variety of participants is reflected in the broad range of traded products, including forward trades, spot trades, load curves and more exotic trades all with physical delivery as well as the focus on regional markets. Enerchain is going to support a broad range of energy products like dayahead, monthly, quarterly and yearly baseload for power and gas. Find out more about Enerchain here.
During the proof of concept participants will get significant exposure to the Blockchain technology and find out whether a decentralised solution can support the trading volumes and transactional speed known from existing markets. Applying Blockchain technology in energy markets promises more efficient operational processes and reduced transaction cost.
Enerchain is powered by Tendermint, the leading open source Blockchain engine. Partner and provider of the trading screen technology in the project is pdv Financial Software GmbH, a sister company of PONTON, which develops innovative platforms for trading, position keeping and risk management as well as exchange platforms for various types of securities across asset classes, associated derivatives and treasury products.
PONTON is in discussion with further interested companies that consider joining the initiative and anticipates that the number of participants will be enlarged.
The proof of concept will run until the end of 2017. A crucial phase of the project will be during the fourth quarter when participants intend to start live trading on Enerchain. If successful, Enerchain would be the first Blockchain-based P2P trading system for wholesale energy products going live.
Petter Torp, Head of Operations at Alpiq says: “Alpiq is in the forefront of digitalization and as a natural next step the participation in this proof of concept is in line with how Alpiq would like to further evaluate opportunities within our trading processes. By participating in the early mover group, Alpiq will get a first insight into how to increase the level of digitalization which is in line with the strategy of Alpiq to be a market leader in this field”.
“We are verynel we are implementing the Open Innovation approach to tackle the challenges of the current energy scenario and as such we are an active promoter of the Blockchain initiative. This new technology will bring significant value to the industry as long as the energy community acts together.”
“Total is focused on ensuring high security standards for the Gas and Power Trading processes. If successful, this initiative with Enerchain, could enable a leap forward for the whole trade lifecycle. For Total, it offers the opportunity to improve our understanding of the Blockchain technology and its potential applications to support internal processes,” stated Philippe Chauvain , Vice President Risk Control and IT – Total Gas & Power Limited.
“We are working with PONTON to provide the best scalable consensus middleware (Tendermint) so that PONTON can rapidly innovate in the energy Blockchain vertical. We’re excited to see PONTON develop on our platform and contribute to the Tendermint ecosystem,” said Jae Kwon, Founder and CEO Tendermint.
Michael Merz, managing director of PONTON added:
“Blockchain technology is a new way to create disruptive software applications and business models. After having experienced increasing marketing buzz from the FinTech and energy sectors, PONTON has decided to actually implement an own Blockchain stack on top of the Tendermint software. The project practically shows the power of the Blockchain by creating a marketplace that does not require a physically centralised platform. Enerchaindemonstrates what can be expected for the future in related areas of energy trading: P2P wholesale trading, flexibility trading in the regional grid, and synchronising grid management processes between TSOs and DSOs“.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017