Twenty three European energy trading firms have joined forces in order to conduct peer-to-peer trading in the wholesale energy market using innovative Blockchain technology. Trading will take place on an enhanced Enerchain framework a Blockchain based application developed by PONTON that has already been used to execute the first European energy trade over the Blockchain at last year’s EMART conference in Amsterdam.
The Enerchain software allows trading organisations, using encryption technology, to anonymously send orders to a decentralised orderbook which can be hit by other trading organisations. All this is done “peer-to-peer” without a central marketplace operated by a third party.
The early mover group participants have committed to share the required development costs in order to proof the concept with a full-scale prototype which is integrated into participants existing trading infrastructure and supports a decentralised credit limit solution required for bilateral trading.
The variety of participants is reflected in the broad range of traded products, including forward trades, spot trades, load curves and more exotic trades all with physical delivery as well as the focus on regional markets. Enerchain is going to support a broad range of energy products like dayahead, monthly, quarterly and yearly baseload for power and gas. Find out more about Enerchain here.
During the proof of concept participants will get significant exposure to the Blockchain technology and find out whether a decentralised solution can support the trading volumes and transactional speed known from existing markets. Applying Blockchain technology in energy markets promises more efficient operational processes and reduced transaction cost.
Enerchain is powered by Tendermint, the leading open source Blockchain engine. Partner and provider of the trading screen technology in the project is pdv Financial Software GmbH, a sister company of PONTON, which develops innovative platforms for trading, position keeping and risk management as well as exchange platforms for various types of securities across asset classes, associated derivatives and treasury products.
PONTON is in discussion with further interested companies that consider joining the initiative and anticipates that the number of participants will be enlarged.
The proof of concept will run until the end of 2017. A crucial phase of the project will be during the fourth quarter when participants intend to start live trading on Enerchain. If successful, Enerchain would be the first Blockchain-based P2P trading system for wholesale energy products going live.
Petter Torp, Head of Operations at Alpiq says: “Alpiq is in the forefront of digitalization and as a natural next step the participation in this proof of concept is in line with how Alpiq would like to further evaluate opportunities within our trading processes. By participating in the early mover group, Alpiq will get a first insight into how to increase the level of digitalization which is in line with the strategy of Alpiq to be a market leader in this field”.
“We are verynel we are implementing the Open Innovation approach to tackle the challenges of the current energy scenario and as such we are an active promoter of the Blockchain initiative. This new technology will bring significant value to the industry as long as the energy community acts together.”
“Total is focused on ensuring high security standards for the Gas and Power Trading processes. If successful, this initiative with Enerchain, could enable a leap forward for the whole trade lifecycle. For Total, it offers the opportunity to improve our understanding of the Blockchain technology and its potential applications to support internal processes,” stated Philippe Chauvain , Vice President Risk Control and IT – Total Gas & Power Limited.
“We are working with PONTON to provide the best scalable consensus middleware (Tendermint) so that PONTON can rapidly innovate in the energy Blockchain vertical. We’re excited to see PONTON develop on our platform and contribute to the Tendermint ecosystem,” said Jae Kwon, Founder and CEO Tendermint.
Michael Merz, managing director of PONTON added:
“Blockchain technology is a new way to create disruptive software applications and business models. After having experienced increasing marketing buzz from the FinTech and energy sectors, PONTON has decided to actually implement an own Blockchain stack on top of the Tendermint software. The project practically shows the power of the Blockchain by creating a marketplace that does not require a physically centralised platform. Enerchaindemonstrates what can be expected for the future in related areas of energy trading: P2P wholesale trading, flexibility trading in the regional grid, and synchronising grid management processes between TSOs and DSOs“.
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017