Despite massive growth in crypto markets, exchanges remain illiquid, fragmented, costly to trade on, and open to theft by hacking.
Consensys’ latest Blockchain product Omega One claims to solve these problems by providing a decentralized automated execution system that trades across the world’s crypto exchanges, shielding our members from counterparty risk and reducing the costs of trading.
By radically increasing the liquidity of crypto markets, they say they are laying the foundation for their maturation as an asset class, and building the financial system of the future.
From a recent blog post at Consensys:
Why liquidity is important
When a market is liquid, it is cheap to move in and out of positions, so large volumes can be traded without moving the price very much. This is not only good for traders, but good for the market as a whole, as it tends to dampen booms and busts, and encourage market maturity. However, with liquidity costs orders of magnitude higher than in traditional markets ($1m moves the market 10% in BTC/ETH, vs. 0.01% in USD/EUR), the crypto markets will need to mature extremely quickly or risk breaking under the weight of incoming capital.
How Omega One solves the problem
Fortunately, this problem can be solved, and has been solved before in traditional markets, through the intermediation of agency brokers. These entities enable clients to access liquidity more efficiently by breaking down large orders into small pieces, placing them on multiple exchanges over time, and implementing complex game theory to minimize liquidity costs.
Omega One will play this role in crypto markets, with the addition of a trust intermediation layer that protects our clients from exchange risk. The trading engine will be integrated with Ethereum and other Blockchains, allowing funds to be traded trustlessly. When an Omega One member wishes to trade between, say, two Ethereum standard (“ERC20”) tokens on the Ethereum Blockchain, they will lock some of token A in our smart contract and send us an order to trade to token B, within certain constraints of time and price. Omega One will then take on a token B position in the market using our own exchange accounts and funds, then trade directly with the member as an atomic (simultaneous) swap of tokens in the smart contract. This will combine the trading benefit of harvesting liquidity using Omega One’s algorithms with the trust benefit of leaving our member’s funds on the Blockchain, protecting them from the counterparty risk of the exchanges.
The Omega Token
The Omega One trading protocol is mediated through a crypto token, the Omega Token. Members will use tokens to pay fees, get fee discounts, and trade on preferred terms in our private dark pool. Fees will be reinvested into increasing liquidity access, upgrading trading intelligence, and increasing decentralization. Omega One will be a utility for the crypto markets, making trading cheaper, increasing overall liquidity and enabling further market evolution.
The Omega Token will launch later in 2017.
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017