Outlier Ventures , Europe’s leading Blockchain investment group focused on distributed ledger enabled convergence, today announces it has taken a seven-figure stake in IOTA, via the company’s Initial Token Offering (commonly referred to as an ‘ICO’).
IOTA’s distributed ledger platform provides the foundation for cost-neutral exchange of value across the Internet of Things and its recent listing has broken records – reaching over $1.5 Billion in market capitalisation during its first day of trading on the Bitfinex exchange, representing the largest CAPEX of any crypto-currency following listing. [first day of IOTA token trading 13.06.17].
IOTA is gaining significant attention within the IoT community, including leading manufacturers, due to its uniquely designed ‘Tangle’ platform. Tangle brings the benefits of decentralisation to the Internet of Things, enabling every IoT device, sensor and machine to exchange value in real-time, without a transaction fee.
Imagine a connected electric car that needs to re-charge, or a connected server with spare capacity for rent, or an internet gateway with spare bandwidth. IOTA provides the value-exchange mechanism for connected devices to use those resources and to pay for them instantly, with trusted micro-payments between the distributed devices (and the companies that own them).
As David Sønstebø, Founder of IOTA describes:
“The world is poised for a new ‘economy of things’ where connected devices exchange financial value for the resources they need. But there’s been no way for companies to collaborate in practice – the settlement layer has been missing. That’s the problem we’re solving at the IOTA Foundation with a new type of Blockchain that overcomes the scalability and cost problems we’ve seen with both Bitcoin and Ethereum.”
The world’s first ‘blockless Blockchain’ The core innovation of the IOTA protocol is the ability for developers to build applications that don’t suffer from the cost and scaling problems inherent to the first generation of Blockchains.
Unlike Bitcoin or Ethereum there are no IOTA miners, rather each connected device provides the CPU resources needed to process transactions. The incentive for the devices, or users, to do so is their very participation in the network. For each transaction a user device wishes to initiate, say a car that wants to re-charge, it must first validate two other transactions. That’s also why there’s no transaction fee and why even the smallest micropayments are now possible.
“That’s the genius of what David, Dominik, Sergey, Serguei and team have been able to achieve with IOTA. They have resolved the fundamental conflicts in the design of the first iterations of public Blockchains that have have stopped them scaling.” commented Jamie Burke, CEO at Outlier Ventures.
“At first glance the numbers involved with this project might seem shocking but if you consider a token is buying you a stake in the future economy that this protocol unlocks, which is estimated by IDC to reach $1.7 Trillion by 2020, the numbers don’t seem so large. So it’s much bigger than just the IOTA core development team, it’s the community of developers building on top that then go on to use this token as the unit of value within the system.”
The IOTA team brings a wealth of experience amongst its four co-founders who’ve been active in the Bitcoin space since 2010, with Sergey Ivancheglo having invented the ‘full Proof of Stake’ consensus algorithm. The Tangle platform is already being explored by more than 30 major corporates including Bosch, Cisco, Innogy, Microsoft, Canonical/Unbuntu SAP, UBS and, one of the world’s largest automotive manufacturers, to develop a range of prototypes.
Commenting on the atypical nature of how Outlier Ventures made its IOTA investment Burke believes that all Venture Capital firms will need to adjust to the realities of a new funding environment:
“In the last 3 months the VC world has been turned on it’s head. In a world where an open source project can tokenise and fractionalise its ownership and then self-finance millions in literally seconds the VC equity model becomes irrelevant. For now this has been native to Blockchain but it’s about to spread like wildfire to the rest of deep tech and that’s what we want to spearhead. Crypto-economics is an entirely new world for everyone and it is going to require a lot of trial and error but the great thing is you aren’t reliant on any one realisation because these things can fork in many directions and iterations.”
Outlier Ventures will focus its investment strategy on a handful of strategic, long-term, bets in organisations and the associated tokens, it believes harness the benefits of Blockchain technology to enable the potential of other deep technology fields such as IoT, AI and 3D-Printing. The likelihood is that such companies will be in search of network effects and so a token-sale is quickly becoming the firm’s preferred investment mechanism.
Outlier Ventures was set up in 2013 to invest in and build Blockchain startups in the emerging Web 3.0 startup space. Since then having met with over 1,220 startups from around the world and invested in a growing portfolio of companies it has refined its thesis to that of ‘Blockchain enabled convergence’, or just ‘Convergence’ for shorthand, following a whitepaper published in Oct 2016.
This has led to a focus on connecting startups with incumbents and academia to accelerate innovation and grow the industry through content and thought leadership including a global network of events from Silicon Valley to Berlin, Bangalore and Tokyo called Convergence.VC
As the Internet-of-Things keeps expanding the need for interoperability and sharing of resources become a necessity. IOTA enables companies to explore new business-2-business models by making every technological resource a potential service to be traded on an open market in real time, with no fees.
- Bodhi Raised $10M Ahead of ICO Launch - August 22, 2017
- myGeoTracking Teams with Rivetz to Provide State of the Art Device Security for Mobile Field Employees - August 22, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Collaboration With Leading Retailers And Food Companies To Address Worldwide Food Safety - August 22, 2017
- SmartContract.com, Used by SWIFT, Announces Technical Leaders as Advisors, Launches ChainLink to Connect Smart Contracts to Off-chain Data & Payments - August 22, 2017
- Synechron Partners with R3 in One of the Largest Distributed Ledger Consortium Projects of the Year - August 22, 2017
- Hive Raises $8.95 Million to Build Blockchain-Based Invoice Finance Platform - August 22, 2017
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017