A team of developers for eSports industry is seeking to tackle the problem known to millions of gamers worldwide by issuing a single token dubbed Skincoin that they could use to buy and sell skins for popular games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2 or Team Fortress 2.
The project is developing an exchange service with an API for third-party websites that enables Skincoin payments, so that gaming platforms won’t have to create internal stores and keep the stock all the time.
“If Skincoin tokens will be used by at least 10% of the market, the company’s future turnover will comprise $700 million. Various trade platforms and skin-related gaming services will use the tokens,” the developers state.
Skin is a term used for visual appearance of heroes, items, weapons and other objects in online games. Such add-ons make all those items and characters unique without necessarily changing their characteristics. Initially, skins were available only at Steam where one could use it or change it for a different skin from another player. Later on, third-party sites started using skins as means of payment in other games.
As Steam’s license agreement does not prohibit such activities, the industry started booming. There are 125 million users at Steam overall, with Dota 2 alone accounting for 99 million of them. The game is amongst the most popular for those who buy and trade skins.
According to Bloomberg and Eliers & Krejcik Gaming, third-party resources had $7 billion turnover of gaming items, with some skins worth up to $15,000 a piece, in 2016 alone. One can get a skin as a reward in a game, buy it at Steam’s official platform, or at a third-party website. After players became able to transfer items to each other, such services became abundant.
Some of those websites offer players to use their skins as bets in cybersports or gambling. Technically, this allows them to monetize their in-game achievements.
Skincoin, on the other hand, is going to create a platform for instant exchange of skins for a liquid cryptoasset that could be used for further turnover of skins at gaming websites. This makes Skincoin a universal cryptocurrency for settlements at online gaming services.
“We plan to solve the problem of skins turnover at all game websites. This would save all kinds of gaming resources and third-party exchange platforms from claims by Valve and account suspension at Steam. As opposed to fiat money, Skincoin is not a means of payment in most jurisdictions. Third-party resources will be able to perform account transactions with Skincoin users without violating Steam requirements,” says Igor Solomatin, Skincoin co-founder.
In order to develop and promote the project with the online gaming community, the Skincoin team will launch a crowdsale of its tokens to raise at least 5,000 ETH, with the maximum aim being 100,000 ETH. In case the project fails to raise the minimum amount, the investments will be returned to the investors in accordance with the smart contract created by the project.
The crowdsale campaign will last for a month, from June 21st to July 21st, 2017.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017