The 60-hour Pillar Token sale, (which closed at about 9:00 PM UK-time on Monday July 17) has raised 113,674 Ether, valued at $21.21 million with 13,446 transactions, making the average transaction 8.45 Ether (about $1,500).
The Pillar project is the brainchild of David Siegel, whose 2010 book, Pull (Penguin), described a future with no apps and with the personal data locker at the centre of people’s lives.
Speaking following a livestreaming YouTube broadcast, he said:
“This may be the most successful grassroots fundraising in Blockchain history. Most big token sales this year have been snapped up by a small number of “bitcoin whales” with transactions worth millions of dollars, yet ours had almost no large transactions. It was similar to Ethereum’s own crowd sale in 2014.
The funds from the Pillar token sale (http://pillarproject.io), will be used to create the “universal smart wallet.” The Pillar Wallet will hold people’s assets and become their personal digital assistant, powering all of their devices.
David Siegel, a serial entrepreneur who has started 21 previous companies, said:
“I spent years speaking to VCs about the personal data locker. I even wrote a book about it, and nobody was interested in a platform approach. They said it was too big, too hard, too futuristic.”
“Things came together this spring with the Blockchain, tokens, crowdfunding, and an amazing group of volunteers who were attracted to the ideas. The more I talked and wrote about it, the more people came. I don’t manage them – they self-manage, like a hive. We don’t have any board of directors, managers, or formal structure. We financed the three-month effort of more than 60 people by paying them in future tokens – we didn’t spend a dollar of our own money. If people are already having meetups about your future system based on a white paper and a crowdsale, that’s a good sign.”
The campaign received much of its support from people on YouTube. From big YouTube personalities with tens of thousands of viewers to people getting out and making their own Pillar videos in several languages, YouTube was the communication medium of choice. “I was doing YouTube interviews from 8:00AM to midnight,” said Siegel. “We were amazed how effective it was and quickly shifted our focus to video, even live-streaming the launch and close of our token sale event. Crypto-influencers on YouTube included Jake Brukhman from Coin Fund, Avi Mizrahi from Finance Magnates, Joe (JSnip4) from Realist News, Mike B, Austin Angler, Bitcoin Cryptomodenas, Jay Stillman, Sebastian Jago and SleepWoke.
An important part of the project’s appeal is the design of the system, which will give individuals complete ownership and control over their personal data. Data privacy and hacking are becoming increasing concerns, both for large organizations and consumers.
The Pillar wallet will turn the current paradigm around, so individuals own all their data, and the open-source wallet helps them work with it as their personal digital assistant. No company will own or control their data. Consumers are free to choose the services they want without being ‘trapped’ in apps and web sites.
The Pillar system will use its own native utility token, called the pillar (symbol: PLR). David Siegel said:
“Digital tokens are everywhere – they’re in all your digital devices already. Putting them on the Blockchain means you own them, and that gives you the control in your relationship with companies and governments. Blockchain-based tokens will soon be used for everything, from currency to identity to energy to coffee to golf.”
Entrepreneur Richard D Titus, a former Samsung executive, said:
“Pillar will be the new platform for digital natives. It replaces the Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook domination of our devices. This is a world changer.”
To date, Pillar has been entirely staffed by a group of global volunteers, from 13 time-zones who are part of the Twenty Thirty Blockchain community. As well as David Siegel, the founders include Tomer Sofinzon from Israel, Yogesh Gaikwad from India and Vitor Py from Brazil. The team will soon set up London’s first Blockchain innovation centre.
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017