Skywire, a project born from the half decade long project Skycoin, is a peer-to-peer alternative network that takes control from ISPs and gives it back to the users. Peer-to-peer technology doesn’t require you to give up your identity and data to access content. Skywire provides a Blockchain-based decentralized network where you can browse securely and privately. With Skywire, you own your data. You control your own experience. It’s a truly free and open internet, according to the team.
“The internet gives us the illusion of control. We can socialize, consume, and do business instantly through services provided by Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon. Seems convenient, right? It is – until you consider what you’re giving up,” stated Synth, who heads up the team at Skycoin.
“We don’t control our lives online. Large companies and internet service providers (ISPs) collect our data, track our movements, and shape our experiences. Every time we use the internet, we give these companies total power over us. We don’t own our internet lives, they do.”
“It’s getting worse. Corporate and government entities continue to threaten internet freedom. Just this spring, the FCC moved to throw out net neutrality rules. If the move succeeds, the net neutrality protections that provide equal access for all content will be destroyed. ISPs will be able to block content and control connectivity. They’ll choose which content you see, and exactly how you see it.”
Globally, the threat to internet freedom is even more serious. Some governments actively censor sites, or block certain apps and services. Other countries have economically-rooted problems with access. Much of the developing world has no internet access at all, while some have limited access that comes at a high cost due to corporate control and third-party scams that exploit less-experienced users.
“Everywhere we look, governments and corporations exclude disadvantaged groups. Censorship and profit incentives keep the general public from unlocking the web’s full potential. 10% of the US population – about 34 million people – have no reliable internet access. The number is higher in rural areas. These people are disproportionately vulnerable to internet outages. They lack the social, educational, and economic advantages that fair and equal internet access would provide,” added Synth.
“It’s time to take back control. The internet should be a public resource, not a tool for corporate profit or government surveillance. Together with developers and activists, Skywire is leading this fight.”
A free internet has benefits that go beyond user experience. It provides a platform for innovation. Developers can create freely without being smothered by powerful corporations. When all sites are treated equally, the public benefits from increased transparency and information on topics ranging from policy to health. Creativity can flourish. Art becomes accessible to a broader demographic. Diverse perspectives can spread and be heard. Free speech can thrive. Users can choose their own experience and create their own content, rather than consuming a limited set of corporate products.
Peer-to-peer technology provides security benefits, too. It frees up users to act without fear of surveillance. This is a groundbreaking change that would profoundly improve online experience. With anonymous and secure private browsing and transactions, Skywire levels the playing field to empower all users.
In the current internet landscape, companies and government agencies constantly track online transactions. They collect personal data and store it for marketing, or less benign purposes. But data collection also has a more insidious effect: it removes online personhood, turning users into numbers. By putting trust blindly in third parties, we give them the ability to exploit our data for profit. We lose ownership of the content we create and the actions we take. In short, we give up our privacy.
“Think about it. You wouldn’t give away all your private possessions to a faceless organization that could use them however they pleased. So why would you do the same thing online? It’s too big a price to pay for convenience. Unfortunately, many users feel that they have no other choice. That’s the dilemma of the modern internet.”
“Skywire gives users a choice. Better encryption and locally-stored data lets you keep your information to yourself. You won’t be vulnerable to data breaches, hacking, or theft. Your activities online are private. When you regain ownership of your data, you regain your power as a user. It’s that simple. And it all starts with the peer-to-peer networking of Skywire.”
The future of the internet is at risk more now than ever before. With threats of censorship, data theft, user exploitation, and profiteering by ISPs, the need for transformation is urgent. We’re developing Skywire because we understand that urgency. It’s time to unlock the full potential of a free internet.
Skycoin is conducting their Coin Distribution Event, or CDE, is a fixed-price sale of 1,000,000 Skycoin (SKY) for 0.002 BTC. The money raised will be used to continue research on immutable data structures, development of consumer hardware and marketing – all towards the goal of creating a better internet.
The CDE will run from 00:00 GMT on August 8th until August 31st, 2017.
Skycoin is a third-generation cryptocurrency created to solve many of Bitcoin’s speed, security and privacy issues. Founded in 2011 by the world’s top cryptographers, Skycoin serves as the foundations for the next internet. It’s currently trading on two exchanges and real-world applications like VPN and social media are coming to the SkyWire platform soon.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017