Skywire, a project born from the half decade long project Skycoin, is a peer-to-peer alternative network that takes control from ISPs and gives it back to the users. Peer-to-peer technology doesn’t require you to give up your identity and data to access content. Skywire provides a Blockchain-based decentralized network where you can browse securely and privately. With Skywire, you own your data. You control your own experience. It’s a truly free and open internet, according to the team.
“The internet gives us the illusion of control. We can socialize, consume, and do business instantly through services provided by Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon. Seems convenient, right? It is – until you consider what you’re giving up,” stated Synth, who heads up the team at Skycoin.
“We don’t control our lives online. Large companies and internet service providers (ISPs) collect our data, track our movements, and shape our experiences. Every time we use the internet, we give these companies total power over us. We don’t own our internet lives, they do.”
“It’s getting worse. Corporate and government entities continue to threaten internet freedom. Just this spring, the FCC moved to throw out net neutrality rules. If the move succeeds, the net neutrality protections that provide equal access for all content will be destroyed. ISPs will be able to block content and control connectivity. They’ll choose which content you see, and exactly how you see it.”
Globally, the threat to internet freedom is even more serious. Some governments actively censor sites, or block certain apps and services. Other countries have economically-rooted problems with access. Much of the developing world has no internet access at all, while some have limited access that comes at a high cost due to corporate control and third-party scams that exploit less-experienced users.
“Everywhere we look, governments and corporations exclude disadvantaged groups. Censorship and profit incentives keep the general public from unlocking the web’s full potential. 10% of the US population – about 34 million people – have no reliable internet access. The number is higher in rural areas. These people are disproportionately vulnerable to internet outages. They lack the social, educational, and economic advantages that fair and equal internet access would provide,” added Synth.
“It’s time to take back control. The internet should be a public resource, not a tool for corporate profit or government surveillance. Together with developers and activists, Skywire is leading this fight.”
A free internet has benefits that go beyond user experience. It provides a platform for innovation. Developers can create freely without being smothered by powerful corporations. When all sites are treated equally, the public benefits from increased transparency and information on topics ranging from policy to health. Creativity can flourish. Art becomes accessible to a broader demographic. Diverse perspectives can spread and be heard. Free speech can thrive. Users can choose their own experience and create their own content, rather than consuming a limited set of corporate products.
Peer-to-peer technology provides security benefits, too. It frees up users to act without fear of surveillance. This is a groundbreaking change that would profoundly improve online experience. With anonymous and secure private browsing and transactions, Skywire levels the playing field to empower all users.
In the current internet landscape, companies and government agencies constantly track online transactions. They collect personal data and store it for marketing, or less benign purposes. But data collection also has a more insidious effect: it removes online personhood, turning users into numbers. By putting trust blindly in third parties, we give them the ability to exploit our data for profit. We lose ownership of the content we create and the actions we take. In short, we give up our privacy.
“Think about it. You wouldn’t give away all your private possessions to a faceless organization that could use them however they pleased. So why would you do the same thing online? It’s too big a price to pay for convenience. Unfortunately, many users feel that they have no other choice. That’s the dilemma of the modern internet.”
“Skywire gives users a choice. Better encryption and locally-stored data lets you keep your information to yourself. You won’t be vulnerable to data breaches, hacking, or theft. Your activities online are private. When you regain ownership of your data, you regain your power as a user. It’s that simple. And it all starts with the peer-to-peer networking of Skywire.”
The future of the internet is at risk more now than ever before. With threats of censorship, data theft, user exploitation, and profiteering by ISPs, the need for transformation is urgent. We’re developing Skywire because we understand that urgency. It’s time to unlock the full potential of a free internet.
Skycoin is conducting their Coin Distribution Event, or CDE, is a fixed-price sale of 1,000,000 Skycoin (SKY) for 0.002 BTC. The money raised will be used to continue research on immutable data structures, development of consumer hardware and marketing – all towards the goal of creating a better internet.
The CDE will run from 00:00 GMT on August 8th until August 31st, 2017.
Skycoin is a third-generation cryptocurrency created to solve many of Bitcoin’s speed, security and privacy issues. Founded in 2011 by the world’s top cryptographers, Skycoin serves as the foundations for the next internet. It’s currently trading on two exchanges and real-world applications like VPN and social media are coming to the SkyWire platform soon.
- Ex Ethereum, Stripe & Apple Trio Raising $1 million – Skipping ICO – to Crowdfund Blockchain Wallet for Banks - August 21, 2017
- Cindicator Brings AI and Collective Intelligence to Drive 47% Investment Yield Per Annum - August 21, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans ICO Based on Users Request - August 21, 2017
- Kybernetwork To Close Their ICO Whitelist Early Due To Massive Early Registration - August 20, 2017
- VR Startup DECENTRALAND Closes Token Launch with $25 Million Raise in 10 Seconds - August 19, 2017
- Napoleonx Plans DAFs (Decentralized Autonomous Funds) To Bridge The Gap Between Crypto And Real Assets Active Investing, Unboxing The Crypto World - August 19, 2017
- Lampix Image Mining for Augmented Reality - August 19, 2017
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017