Skywire, a project born from the half decade long project Skycoin, is a peer-to-peer alternative network that takes control from ISPs and gives it back to the users. Peer-to-peer technology doesn’t require you to give up your identity and data to access content. Skywire provides a Blockchain-based decentralized network where you can browse securely and privately. With Skywire, you own your data. You control your own experience. It’s a truly free and open internet, according to the team.
“The internet gives us the illusion of control. We can socialize, consume, and do business instantly through services provided by Google, Facebook, Apple, and Amazon. Seems convenient, right? It is – until you consider what you’re giving up,” stated Synth, who heads up the team at Skycoin.
“We don’t control our lives online. Large companies and internet service providers (ISPs) collect our data, track our movements, and shape our experiences. Every time we use the internet, we give these companies total power over us. We don’t own our internet lives, they do.”
“It’s getting worse. Corporate and government entities continue to threaten internet freedom. Just this spring, the FCC moved to throw out net neutrality rules. If the move succeeds, the net neutrality protections that provide equal access for all content will be destroyed. ISPs will be able to block content and control connectivity. They’ll choose which content you see, and exactly how you see it.”
Globally, the threat to internet freedom is even more serious. Some governments actively censor sites, or block certain apps and services. Other countries have economically-rooted problems with access. Much of the developing world has no internet access at all, while some have limited access that comes at a high cost due to corporate control and third-party scams that exploit less-experienced users.
“Everywhere we look, governments and corporations exclude disadvantaged groups. Censorship and profit incentives keep the general public from unlocking the web’s full potential. 10% of the US population – about 34 million people – have no reliable internet access. The number is higher in rural areas. These people are disproportionately vulnerable to internet outages. They lack the social, educational, and economic advantages that fair and equal internet access would provide,” added Synth.
“It’s time to take back control. The internet should be a public resource, not a tool for corporate profit or government surveillance. Together with developers and activists, Skywire is leading this fight.”
A free internet has benefits that go beyond user experience. It provides a platform for innovation. Developers can create freely without being smothered by powerful corporations. When all sites are treated equally, the public benefits from increased transparency and information on topics ranging from policy to health. Creativity can flourish. Art becomes accessible to a broader demographic. Diverse perspectives can spread and be heard. Free speech can thrive. Users can choose their own experience and create their own content, rather than consuming a limited set of corporate products.
Peer-to-peer technology provides security benefits, too. It frees up users to act without fear of surveillance. This is a groundbreaking change that would profoundly improve online experience. With anonymous and secure private browsing and transactions, Skywire levels the playing field to empower all users.
In the current internet landscape, companies and government agencies constantly track online transactions. They collect personal data and store it for marketing, or less benign purposes. But data collection also has a more insidious effect: it removes online personhood, turning users into numbers. By putting trust blindly in third parties, we give them the ability to exploit our data for profit. We lose ownership of the content we create and the actions we take. In short, we give up our privacy.
“Think about it. You wouldn’t give away all your private possessions to a faceless organization that could use them however they pleased. So why would you do the same thing online? It’s too big a price to pay for convenience. Unfortunately, many users feel that they have no other choice. That’s the dilemma of the modern internet.”
“Skywire gives users a choice. Better encryption and locally-stored data lets you keep your information to yourself. You won’t be vulnerable to data breaches, hacking, or theft. Your activities online are private. When you regain ownership of your data, you regain your power as a user. It’s that simple. And it all starts with the peer-to-peer networking of Skywire.”
The future of the internet is at risk more now than ever before. With threats of censorship, data theft, user exploitation, and profiteering by ISPs, the need for transformation is urgent. We’re developing Skywire because we understand that urgency. It’s time to unlock the full potential of a free internet.
Skycoin is conducting their Coin Distribution Event, or CDE, is a fixed-price sale of 1,000,000 Skycoin (SKY) for 0.002 BTC. The money raised will be used to continue research on immutable data structures, development of consumer hardware and marketing – all towards the goal of creating a better internet.
The CDE will run from 00:00 GMT on August 8th until August 31st, 2017.
Skycoin is a third-generation cryptocurrency created to solve many of Bitcoin’s speed, security and privacy issues. Founded in 2011 by the world’s top cryptographers, Skycoin serves as the foundations for the next internet. It’s currently trading on two exchanges and real-world applications like VPN and social media are coming to the SkyWire platform soon.
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017