The data industry today is fraught with a number of fatal flaws from the perspective of those creating the data – the users. Information collected by enterprise-level corporations like Facebook, Apple, and Google is being used to channel advertising and drive profits.
Google, for example, publicly acknowledges utilizing user data to drive advertising revenue. Apple does slightly less, but blocks others from reaching you, and even makes certain that the data it collects is kept for in-house sales purposes. Facebook may be the worst, with new products coming online so that advertisers can cross platforms with user-specified ad controls based on user likes and dislikes.
The reality is that free services, promised by most of these platforms, are anything but free, as users are subjected to huge volumes of advertising. Plus, all the shared data is stored, analyzed, and managed so that future purchasing trends can be manipulated. As Andrew Lewis famously quipped in 2010, “If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.”
What Can Be Done?
Every day, users are creating stunningly large amounts of data, whether from wearables, social media, or communications.
In fact, according to Datum, “Every day we create 2.5 Quintillion bytes of data, and 90% of the world’s data today has been created in the last 2 years alone. Data stored grows 4x faster than the world economy and contributes to a substantial shift in economic power and source of economic value.”
All that data, tracking your likes and dislikes, desires, searches, and life choices, has huge value for advertisers. The difficulty, of course, is how to quantify and monetize the data that consumers produce every day.
As a secure and decentralized marketplace for data, Datum aims to democratize access to this data for users, ensuring that those who produce the data can have their fair share of the value that can be gleaned from it.
The methodology for monetizing the data is built around a Blockchain platform where client data is protected on a decentralized NOSQL database. Users are able to take advantage of the platform by backing up any sort of structured data, whether social media data, wearable device data, or IOT data from smart devices.
That data is stored on nodes by miners across the decentralized ledger. The miners simply provide storage facilities, and are compensated for it. The data is secured by the Blockchain and protected from any service or client having access without specific user permission.
While businesses will certainly continue to need access to data, the platform allows users to choose which businesses will have access, and receive compensation for granting that access. Data can be stored securely and monetized by users rather than be centralized profiteering corporations.
Getting Your Money’s Worth
The difficulty arises in how to monetize user data. However, Datum has engineered an ingenious solution via tokenization. The company will begin its Initial Token Offering in September 12th and run through October 12th, and will offer DATG tokens to buyers. The tokens can be used within the platform. The presale has already begun, with strong results.
Data owners pay a small fee in DATG for storing their data in a private and secure Blockchain platform. This small payment covers the cost of data storage on miner nodes, as miners are compensated in DATG as well. Datum uses a simple and easy to use application for users to allow or disallow access to certain sets of previously stored data.
Companies seeking access to user data must then purchase the data using DATG, and will then have access, based on user permissions, to data that users have agreed to release. Those DATG will then be shared directly to the data owner, thereby monetizing the content and producing a closed system of data use and sales.
As Datum says:
“If every person in the world ends up using Datum, that’s theoretically around 7 billion sources of data points, which businesses can utilize. The good thing is that even users who do not have the resources or bargaining power like Google, FB, etc., can now monetize their own data, wherein businesses can now work on buying such data from users directly.”
Blockchain Data Revolution
Blockchains are about decentralizing control and access. Own your data. Datum’s Blockchain solution is no different, creating a system to decentralize one of the fundamental areas of the internet, data. Datum is ensuring better opportunities for everyone in safeguarding and benefiting from the data they create every day.
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017