I was first intrigued by the Hero token sale due to the social nature of the project and my belief that remittance and banking services in emerging economies is something that will improve the quality of life for millions – and Blockchain has the potential to do that. By empowering people.
This seemed like a solid way for me to participate in a project which has potential social value on a broader scale. My kind of ICO.
But over 200,000 dollars has now gone from the pockets of potential Hero Token investors into the pockets of a scammer, and unfortunately I am one of them who got taken. And I certainly feel unempowered myself.
Somewhat embarrassing yes, particularly as a veteran in the business… I was suckered.
I feel compelled to write about my experience for a few reasons.
One to make sure token sale participants are aware how good these scammers have gotten. Two, to try and make future ICOs organisers aware of how to avoid some of the problems. And three, because the reaction of the community organisers on the project was unprofessional – inferring that those that lost money were stupid and should pay more attention. We are clients, not idiots. We are your community not morons to be fleeced for ETH and ‘tough shit’ if we get burnt.
It’s my opinion that the poorly-architected community design and lack of effective community management are at fault to leaving a gaping hole for the scammers to walk right in and steal people’s hard earned money.
From the start. The whitelist was already a strange experience. Messaging to someone on Slack named David with a half dozen other Davids in the community. Not very clear. Weird. It was not hard for a half dozen scammers to make new David clones accounts and message everyone back with fake ETH addresses. Which happened right away. Obvious. Doh.
For those of us that first signed up for the presale, it was noted on the site and in subsequent emails that September 1, 2017 was the big day. So I jumped in and bought. But it was not postponed and I did not know. I was phished right from Slack by one of the Davids. They community team were not doing a very good job at making sure that scammers were banned from the communities. It appears… and they had a clusterf*ck of their own design on their hands to boot.
Changing that day to an unknown day in the future was simply opening the door wide open for scammers to come in with a new date. And that’s what happened.
Why did Hero choose to change the date? To suck in more presale numbers to drive up sales? Or were they not prepared technologically for the pre-ICO? We will probably never know.
And how about assembling that whitelist somewhere else instead of Slack – therefore blocking the ability for a group a scammers to target known whitelist members and even cull an email list from the Slack group who were de facto on the whitelist by joining the community?
I get it, you wanted to force people to Slack for whitelist to build up your Slack community. But Slack is a veritable playground for phishers and combining your Slack community and a whitelist was not very well thought out.
Slack has public email by default in the profiles. We were ripe for the picking.
So did scores of others who lost, collectively over 200,000 dollars and counting.
Lessons I learned.
- Never use Slack or Telegram for community building in a token sale. And worse, never try to use both. There are other solutions that are better suited like Discord.
- Don’t leave your whitelist open to be copied. Keep it separate from all groups and communities. A smart way for organising a pre-sale whitelist would be to use Blockchain technology and issue a private key to access a predetermined landing page where you could only access with that key. Or even to access a presale or an ICO for that matter. We have the technology folks.
- Use one channel specifically for Token Sale announcements. And stick with it.
- Have a firm date from the beginning. And stick with it. Don’t leave holes where scammers can get in with dates of their own. Changing dates on the fly shows unorganisation or greed. Or both.
- Make sure the community management staff are trained well and are empathetic to those who put their hard earned money into token sales.
Despite the nonchalance of the community team – 200,000 dollars is a lot of money – way too high for an ICO to leak to phishers. That’s almost 700 ETH – about the cost of running an effective ICO campaign in this day and age. If they are this careless with their clients for a presale, I wonder how well they manage as a Blockchain company. Period.
If that many people got ripped off in a token sale I help organise – due to faulty community design, I would have cut those in the community who got taken a deal to keep them onboard. And I would instruct the team to be polite, not belittling.
Discord is an excellent community management option with one click banning of members by moderators and member data private by default (including emails). But really our community needs a bespoke service and rumour has it Mainframe is working towards that in the future.
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency - November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments - November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO - November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs - November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers - November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course - November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO - November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public - November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership - November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale - November 14, 2017
- Revain Announces Release Of The First Test Version Of The Platform - November 13, 2017
- PikcioChain Receives Huge Pre-ICO Boost by Winning a Place on BNP Paribas’ Fintech Accelerator - November 13, 2017
- Fluree PBC Launches FlureeDB — Scalable, Blockchain Cloud Database - November 13, 2017
- CoinTracking – The Personal Portfolio Monitoring Tool and Tax Tracker for Digital Currencies - November 13, 2017
- OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program OTC Exchange Network Announces that DMALINK has Joined their Early Adopter Program - November 13, 2017
- Leondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEOLeondrino Exchange, Issuer of Digital Branded Currencies, Announces Its Own Digital Currency XLEO - November 13, 2017
- Blockchain Executive and Cryptocurrency Investor David Drake joins eSport and Gaming platform Play2Live Advisory Board - November 13, 2017
- UHUB.IO Seeks to Bring Their Decentralized E-commerce Platform to Life - November 13, 2017
- Eidoo Hits 100,000 Downloads As Cryptocurrency Customers Seek A Simpler Way To Store And Use Their Assets - November 13, 2017
- Ethereum Goes to Hollywood – Award-Winning Crypto Film Project Premieres in Hollywood - November 13, 2017
- Santa Claus Is Moving To Blockchain! Bye, Bye Chimney! - November 13, 2017
- Safinus Platform Wants to Unite Investors and Traders in One Place - November 13, 2017
- Exscudo Uses Multisignature Technology To Protect User Accounts - November 13, 2017
- Lykke To Support ERC20 Tokens In Latest Lykke Wallet Release - November 13, 2017
- Can Blockchain Revolutionise The Third Sector? Introducing The World’s First Recycling Intiative - November 13, 2017
- JBOX Announces Initial Coin Offering for Blockchain-Powered Decentralized Video Platform - November 13, 2017
- Perkins Coie Selected as a Founding Steward in Self-Sovereign Identity Network - November 13, 2017
- Waves Claims it Will Become the Fastest Blockchain Platform in the World - November 13, 2017
- Binary.com Announces ICO - November 13, 2017
- Finova Financial Announces The JOBS Crypto Offering (JCO): A Path To A Regulated Public Securities Offering for Non-Accredited Investors Using Cryptocurrency - November 13, 2017
- Dash Transactions Now 215 Times Cheaper Than Bitcoin After New Network Upgrade - November 13, 2017
- Tech Bureau’s mijin Opens Applications for Powerful New Enterprise Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Human Discovery Platform Launches Token Sale to Build the Largest Storage of Human Behavior Powered by Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- CarFix Will Repair Your Vehicle For A Fraction Of The Price, With Help From The Ethereum Blockchain - November 13, 2017
- Neufund, Receives 10M Euro In Funding To Create ‘Equity Token’ - November 13, 2017
- Beenest Begins Decentralized Future For Short-term Housing Rentals - November 13, 2017
- CanYa Wants to Eliminate Crypto Volatility within Online Gig Economy Marketplace - November 13, 2017
- Allianz Pioneers Blockchain Prototype for the Captive Insurance Market - November 13, 2017
- Third Generation Cryptocurrency SkyCoin Aims to Shake up the Market - November 7, 2017
- DAO PlayMarket 2.0 – a New Era of Mobile Applications - November 7, 2017
- The International Scientific and Practical Association Jus Naturale – The first NGO with Blockchain-Based Membership - November 7, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes Lead Investor In Botanic Technologies And Seed Token, To Decentralize Bot Creation And Deployment - November 7, 2017
- TOKIT, Ethereum Blockchain Application Launches - November 6, 2017
- Australian Blockchain Startup HCash Raises $53M in ICO - November 6, 2017
- Publicly Listed Companies on Major Capital Markets to Raise Funds via ICOs? Yes, Says Pegasus Fintech - November 6, 2017
- Quantstamp Announces Partnership with Experty for Smart Contract Auditing Consultations - November 6, 2017
- Internxt Challenges Storj on Blockchain Storage Front - November 6, 2017
- ShoCard Announces Bob Tinker as Board Member - November 6, 2017
- Streamr Announces DATA Tokens Listed on Bitfinex, the Leading Global Exchange - November 6, 2017
- UltraPlay introduces eGold, the ultimate eSports betting cryptocurrency - November 6, 2017