I was first intrigued by the Hero token sale due to the social nature of the project and my belief that remittance and banking services in emerging economies is something that will improve the quality of life for millions – and Blockchain has the potential to do that. By empowering people.
This seemed like a solid way for me to participate in a project which has potential social value on a broader scale. My kind of ICO.
But over 200,000 dollars has now gone from the pockets of potential Hero Token investors into the pockets of a scammer, and unfortunately I am one of them who got taken. And I certainly feel unempowered myself.
Somewhat embarrassing yes, particularly as a veteran in the business… I was suckered.
I feel compelled to write about my experience for a few reasons.
One to make sure token sale participants are aware how good these scammers have gotten. Two, to try and make future ICOs organisers aware of how to avoid some of the problems. And three, because the reaction of the community organisers on the project was unprofessional – inferring that those that lost money were stupid and should pay more attention. We are clients, not idiots. We are your community not morons to be fleeced for ETH and ‘tough shit’ if we get burnt.
It’s my opinion that the poorly-architected community design and lack of effective community management are at fault to leaving a gaping hole for the scammers to walk right in and steal people’s hard earned money.
From the start. The whitelist was already a strange experience. Messaging to someone on Slack named David with a half dozen other Davids in the community. Not very clear. Weird. It was not hard for a half dozen scammers to make new David clones accounts and message everyone back with fake ETH addresses. Which happened right away. Obvious. Doh.
For those of us that first signed up for the presale, it was noted on the site and in subsequent emails that September 1, 2017 was the big day. So I jumped in and bought. But it was not postponed and I did not know. I was phished right from Slack by one of the Davids. They community team were not doing a very good job at making sure that scammers were banned from the communities. It appears… and they had a clusterf*ck of their own design on their hands to boot.
Changing that day to an unknown day in the future was simply opening the door wide open for scammers to come in with a new date. And that’s what happened.
Why did Hero choose to change the date? To suck in more presale numbers to drive up sales? Or were they not prepared technologically for the pre-ICO? We will probably never know.
And how about assembling that whitelist somewhere else instead of Slack – therefore blocking the ability for a group a scammers to target known whitelist members and even cull an email list from the Slack group who were de facto on the whitelist by joining the community?
I get it, you wanted to force people to Slack for whitelist to build up your Slack community. But Slack is a veritable playground for phishers and combining your Slack community and a whitelist was not very well thought out.
Slack has public email by default in the profiles. We were ripe for the picking.
So did scores of others who lost, collectively over 200,000 dollars and counting.
Lessons I learned.
- Never use Slack or Telegram for community building in a token sale. And worse, never try to use both. There are other solutions that are better suited like Discord.
- Don’t leave your whitelist open to be copied. Keep it separate from all groups and communities. A smart way for organising a pre-sale whitelist would be to use Blockchain technology and issue a private key to access a predetermined landing page where you could only access with that key. Or even to access a presale or an ICO for that matter. We have the technology folks.
- Use one channel specifically for Token Sale announcements. And stick with it.
- Have a firm date from the beginning. And stick with it. Don’t leave holes where scammers can get in with dates of their own. Changing dates on the fly shows unorganisation or greed. Or both.
- Make sure the community management staff are trained well and are empathetic to those who put their hard earned money into token sales.
Despite the nonchalance of the community team – 200,000 dollars is a lot of money – way too high for an ICO to leak to phishers. That’s almost 700 ETH – about the cost of running an effective ICO campaign in this day and age. If they are this careless with their clients for a presale, I wonder how well they manage as a Blockchain company. Period.
If that many people got ripped off in a token sale I help organise – due to faulty community design, I would have cut those in the community who got taken a deal to keep them onboard. And I would instruct the team to be polite, not belittling.
Discord is an excellent community management option with one click banning of members by moderators and member data private by default (including emails). But really our community needs a bespoke service and rumour has it Mainframe is working towards that in the future.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017