I was first intrigued by the Hero token sale due to the social nature of the project and my belief that remittance and banking services in emerging economies is something that will improve the quality of life for millions – and Blockchain has the potential to do that. By empowering people.
This seemed like a solid way for me to participate in a project which has potential social value on a broader scale. My kind of ICO.
But over 200,000 dollars has now gone from the pockets of potential Hero Token investors into the pockets of a scammer, and unfortunately I am one of them who got taken. And I certainly feel unempowered myself.
Somewhat embarrassing yes, particularly as a veteran in the business… I was suckered.
I feel compelled to write about my experience for a few reasons.
One to make sure token sale participants are aware how good these scammers have gotten. Two, to try and make future ICOs organisers aware of how to avoid some of the problems. And three, because the reaction of the community organisers on the project was unprofessional – inferring that those that lost money were stupid and should pay more attention. We are clients, not idiots. We are your community not morons to be fleeced for ETH and ‘tough shit’ if we get burnt.
It’s my opinion that the poorly-architected community design and lack of effective community management are at fault to leaving a gaping hole for the scammers to walk right in and steal people’s hard earned money.
From the start. The whitelist was already a strange experience. Messaging to someone on Slack named David with a half dozen other Davids in the community. Not very clear. Weird. It was not hard for a half dozen scammers to make new David clones accounts and message everyone back with fake ETH addresses. Which happened right away. Obvious. Doh.
For those of us that first signed up for the presale, it was noted on the site and in subsequent emails that September 1, 2017 was the big day. So I jumped in and bought. But it was not postponed and I did not know. I was phished right from Slack by one of the Davids. They community team were not doing a very good job at making sure that scammers were banned from the communities. It appears… and they had a clusterf*ck of their own design on their hands to boot.
Changing that day to an unknown day in the future was simply opening the door wide open for scammers to come in with a new date. And that’s what happened.
Why did Hero choose to change the date? To suck in more presale numbers to drive up sales? Or were they not prepared technologically for the pre-ICO? We will probably never know.
And how about assembling that whitelist somewhere else instead of Slack – therefore blocking the ability for a group a scammers to target known whitelist members and even cull an email list from the Slack group who were de facto on the whitelist by joining the community?
I get it, you wanted to force people to Slack for whitelist to build up your Slack community. But Slack is a veritable playground for phishers and combining your Slack community and a whitelist was not very well thought out.
Slack has public email by default in the profiles. We were ripe for the picking.
So did scores of others who lost, collectively over 200,000 dollars and counting.
Lessons I learned.
- Never use Slack or Telegram for community building in a token sale. And worse, never try to use both. There are other solutions that are better suited like Discord.
- Don’t leave your whitelist open to be copied. Keep it separate from all groups and communities. A smart way for organising a pre-sale whitelist would be to use Blockchain technology and issue a private key to access a predetermined landing page where you could only access with that key. Or even to access a presale or an ICO for that matter. We have the technology folks.
- Use one channel specifically for Token Sale announcements. And stick with it.
- Have a firm date from the beginning. And stick with it. Don’t leave holes where scammers can get in with dates of their own. Changing dates on the fly shows unorganisation or greed. Or both.
- Make sure the community management staff are trained well and are empathetic to those who put their hard earned money into token sales.
Despite the nonchalance of the community team – 200,000 dollars is a lot of money – way too high for an ICO to leak to phishers. That’s almost 700 ETH – about the cost of running an effective ICO campaign in this day and age. If they are this careless with their clients for a presale, I wonder how well they manage as a Blockchain company. Period.
If that many people got ripped off in a token sale I help organise – due to faulty community design, I would have cut those in the community who got taken a deal to keep them onboard. And I would instruct the team to be polite, not belittling.
Discord is an excellent community management option with one click banning of members by moderators and member data private by default (including emails). But really our community needs a bespoke service and rumour has it Mainframe is working towards that in the future.
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry - September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin - September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams - September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event - September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally - September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 - September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 - September 21, 2017
- Adel Will Upgrade Its Blockchain Incubator Using Jelurida’s Latest Technology - September 21, 2017
- Etch Foundation Announce Token Sale - September 21, 2017
- Jamie Foxx dives into cryptocurrency – invests in COBINHOOD - September 21, 2017
- New Creditinfo App and Services Utilize Blockchain-Based ShoCard Identity Platform to Maximize User Privacy while Authenticating Credit Report Data - September 21, 2017
- Disruptive Truck-Sharing Company Doft Sells Doftcoins to Truckers, 3PLs and Freight Shippers with 50% discount during Pre-ICO - September 21, 2017
- Carnegie Mellon University and BitClave partner to improve the search experience - September 21, 2017
- Darfchain Successfully Implements Its Distributed Erp System Encompassing Odoo, Bigchaindb And Ethereum Technology - September 21, 2017
- ASX-Listed iCandy Interactive Limited Announces Backing For Independent Blockchain Based Crypto-Currency “Project Nitro” To Support And Democratize Game Development - September 21, 2017
- Ethereum Co-founder Anthony Di Iorio Joins BlockMason as Advisor - September 20, 2017
- Nuggets Announces Token Sale for Revolutionary Blockchain Platform for Secure Private Payments and ID Verification - September 20, 2017
- Preeminent Investor & CNBC Contributor BRIAN KELLY Joins Veridium Labs Board of Advisors - September 20, 2017
- Dragonchain, Originally Developed at Disney, Announces October 2nd Token Sale To Bring The Power Of Blockchain Technology To Business - September 20, 2017
- Social Payments App Moneymailme Announces Development Of A New Blockchain Platform Called Modex Marketplace - September 20, 2017
- Blockchain-Fuelled Public Opinion Poll Startup ClearPoll Announce Presale - September 20, 2017
- SmartOne Launches Legal Solution for Crypto Community – Announce LEGAL Tokens - September 19, 2017
- HydroMiner Announces ICO and First Token Sale Starting September 25th 2017 - September 19, 2017
- LEVERJ AnnouncesFully Functional, Non-Custodial Cryptocurrency Derivatives Trading Platform - September 19, 2017
- DataBroker DAO, a Decentralised Marketplace for IoT Sensor Data, Token Sale Is Live - September 19, 2017
- Poseidon Brings Value To Nature Through Carbon Blockchain Technology - September 19, 2017
- Options and Futures on the Blockchain Board of Derivatives. PRE-SALE begins on 22th September at 8AM GMT. - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain-based Digital Advertising Ecosystem Papyrus to Launch Token Generation Event on 12 October - September 18, 2017
- Propy Raises $15 Million in ICO to Decentralize Real Estate Sales and Attract Foreign Investors - September 18, 2017
- The Financial Commission Issues Certification of the Genesis Vision ICO - September 18, 2017
- Blockchain Industry and Regulatory Leaders Launch Token Alliance - September 18, 2017
- PayPie Challenges Experian, Equifax and TransUnion Status Quo with the World’s First Ethereum Blockchain-Based Credit Risk Assessment - September 18, 2017
- YouNow Announces the PROPS Ecosystem, Brings Cryptocurrency to Mobile Video - September 18, 2017
- Dash Grows in Accessibility; Listed on London Digital Asset Exchange and Broker Dash partners with CEX.IO - September 18, 2017
- Qtum Ignition Tackles Scalability with First Decentralized Governance Protocol - September 18, 2017
- The Grant Hero Foundation Aims to Disrupt the Non-Profit Industry with the GIVE Coin Using Ethereum Blockchain Technology - September 18, 2017
- Trippki Announces Hotel Booking and Rewards Platform to Simplify & Monetize Traveling - September 18, 2017
- Democratic Cryptocurrency Exchange Mandarin.top launches ICO - September 18, 2017
- Talla Launches Botchain, a Blockchain-Based Platform for Ensuring Certainty and Security in A.I. Autonomous Agents for Business - September 18, 2017
- NXT Blockchain Announces Big Changes for Voting, Money Transfer and More - September 17, 2017
- Swirlds Raises $3M Seed Round to Bring Improved Performance, Security to Distributed Ledger Applications - September 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Sale Tops 3933 BTC For New and Existing ICOs - September 17, 2017
- 21 Thousand People Contribute To Kybernetwork As Company Reports ‘Smooth’ ICO - September 16, 2017
- Arna Genomics Introduces A Revolutionary Solution For Cancer Diagnostics And Treatment Biotechnologies – Blockchain Ecosystem Arna Panacea. - September 14, 2017
- Vietnam’s largest smart vending machine operator Dropfoods plans to raise US$9 mil through Initial Coin Offering (ICO) - September 13, 2017
- The City of Boise and ULedger Enter Into Agreement - September 13, 2017
- DigitalTown Introduces Blockchain Platform for Smart Cities - September 13, 2017
- BlueCoin 2.0 Incorporates Bluetooth Transactions & Cold Staking on Bitcoin Code - September 13, 2017
- Algebraix Data, The Company Enabling Consumers to Own and Monetize Their Own Data, Announces SAFT for ALX Tokens, a New Cryptocurrency - September 13, 2017