DigitalTown (OTC PINK:DGTW), a leading provider of smart city portal solutions, has announced the launch of a Blockchain-based Distributed Ledger for managing shared ownership of each city in its global network of city portals.
The move, they say, heralds a new era for empowering public-private partnership in the development of thriving local economies.
DigitalTown operates a global network of more than 20,000 city portals such as Nashville.city that make it easy for residents and visitors to search, share and shop local. Each city portal is equipped with SmartSearch, a powerful local search engine that provides locally relevant information tailored to personal preferences. Registered merchants are provided with an online storefront with which they can sell locally and globally, paying only transaction fees. All legal residents are provided with a free SmartWallet that includes a verified online identity with which they can securely engage and transact with services from both the public and private sector.
For cities where the municipality, or its proxy itself does not license the platform for their city, each resident of a city is to be allocated a fractional ownership unit of the city platform. The units may be claimed during a defined subscription period, after which the distributed units become freely traded and accessible to both residents and non-residents.
Rob Monster, CEO of DigitalTown, commented on the launch:
“Since the advent of online search, local and regional institutions such as municipalities, chambers of commerce, convention and visitor bureaus, destination marketing organizations, trade associations, as well as other local institutions have been competing with each other for ranking in search engines. In many cases, they have also experimented with buy local initiatives using directories of local merchants but with no ability to transact. These uncoordinated digital efforts have often resulted in an inconsistent user experience causing both locals and visitors to rely on non-local online tools to find out where to go, what to do, as well as where to stay, shop or eat. Local ownership of a unified city platform provides the organizing framework to regain control over the online economy, achieve self-sustaining economic development, and equip local stakeholders to win in the Digital Age.”
A Breakthrough for City Innovation
The DigitalTown SmartCity platform provides cities with the tools required to compete in the Digital Age:
A Single Verified Login for the City: The DigitalTown single-sign-on SmartWallet provides every registered citizen with a free verified login with which they can securely connect and transact both locally and globally across both public and private services – everything from local shopping, booking a table at a restaurant or signing up for parks and recreation. Community members and businesses can also securely transmit funds in real-time without fees using their SmartWallets.
A storefront for every business: DigitalTown provides integrated solutions for local commerce across retailers, service providers, dining, and lodging. Registered businesses can secure a free storefront with which to begin transacting immediately. Merchants pay only transaction fees, often far below the fees to which merchants are subjected to when consumers don’t buy local, e.g. paying up to 40% for a hotel booking.
A secure platform for local innovation: Software developers in a city can use DigitalTown’s Application Program Interface (API) at no cost. During London Tech Week in June 2017, attended by more than 50,000 delegates from both London and abroad, nearly 400 developers participated in the Smart.London global Hackathon sponsored by DigitalTown in cooperation with our London-based partners.
Shared Local Ownership for Aligned Incentives and Local Innovation
Across the global network of more than 20,000 cities, DigitalTown has reserved 80% ownership interest of each city portal for local and regional institutions who are committed to local online economic development. Local owners who enter partnership agreements with DigitalTown are also granted ‘Right of First Refusal’ for each city portal, thereby securing a path to consolidating full local ownership. Centralized payment processing by leading global payment processors provides a seamless path for the municipality, or its proxy, to become the Merchant of Record.
A Scalable Model for Local City Platform Ownership
To bring about such an important change, DigitalTown is partnering locally and globally. In the US, DigitalTown is working in cooperation with long-standing institutions such as local Chambers of Commerce, Trade Associations and the Municipalities themselves. Individuals from around the world are encouraged to sign up at DigitalTown.com to secure their ownership interest in their local city platform, and to be eligible to participate in future auctions for unclaimed units for their city. A copy of the Blockchain whitepaper describing the fractional ownership distributed ledger can be obtained at DigitalTown.com/blockchain.
As part of the worldwide rollout of the DigitalTown SmartCity platform, DigitalTown is scheduled to exhibit at the following events: World Chambers Federation in Sydney from September 19-21, International City Managers Association Expo in San Antonio from October 22-25, and Smart City Expo in Barcelona from November 13-15. Major rollouts are now in progress in London (Smart.London), Miami (Smart.Miami), Nashville (Nashville.city), San Diego (SanDiego.city). New multi-stakeholder city rollouts have now been confirmed for Bavaria, (.bayern), Charleston (Charleston.city), Melbourne (.melbourne), Nordrhein-Westfalen (.nrw), Sydney (.sydney), and Vienna (.wien).
DigitalTown, Inc. (DGTW) powers Smart Cities to succeed in the Digital Age. The company provides turn-key hosted solutions to power “Digital Towns”, which improve Quality of Life for residents and visitors through integrated solutions for economic development, civic engagement and digital inclusion for cities around the world. For more information about the company, please visit www.digitaltown.com.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab - December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs - December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution - December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform - December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience - December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise - December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise - December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants - December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report - November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency - November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency - November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain - November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept - November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO - November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network - November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO - November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction - November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors - November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals - November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses - November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain - November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading - November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO - November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale - November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration - November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange - November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation - November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated - November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform - November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube - November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s - November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security - November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch - November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project - November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution - November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event - November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering - November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event - November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program - November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain - November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games - November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores - November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains - November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round - November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain - November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology - November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries - November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform - November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research - November 20, 2017