Interest in enterprise Blockchains and distributed ledger technology (DLT) has grown significantly in the past few years, with at least 115 DLT start-ups now employing more than 2,000 people and many large corporations and public sector institutions focusing on DLT, says the first Global Blockchain Benchmarking Study by the Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance (CCAF), supported by VISA and professional services firm EY.
At least 25 cryptocurrency-focused companies have pivoted to DLT activities, says the study, which gathered data from more than 200 enterprise DLT start-ups, established companies, central banks and other public sector institutions.
The report by the CCAF, at University of Cambridge Judge Business School, aims to chronicle the rapid growth of the enterprise and public sector DLT ecosystem, while also highlighting governance, technical and economic issues that will need attention to unleash the full potential of Blockchains and related systems. The report was authored by Dr. Garrick Hileman, Research Fellow at CCAF, and Michel Rauchs, Research Assistant at CCAF.
A section of the report is dedicated to investigating DLT activity in the public sector (including central banks), which employs an estimated 500+ staff members who exclusively focus on DLT within their institution. Findings show that 67% of central banks and 86% of other public sector institutions surveyed are directly experimenting with DLT protocols, with 57% of central banks experimenting with versions of the Ethereum codebase – the public Ethereum network, a permissioned version, or both.
“This is the first major empirical DLT study focussed on enterprise and the public sector. The over 100-page report contains new, non-publicly available data on what is actually happening right now in DLT areas such as targeted use cases, emerging revenue models, timing of deployment, and remaining challenges”, said Dr Garrick Hileman.
Among highlights of the study:
- The number of enterprise DLT start-ups has trebled since 2014, from 37 to at least 115.
- About 47 per cent of all enterprise DLT start-ups are based in North America (primarily in the US), followed by Europe (28 per cent) and Asia-Pacific (19 per cent).
- Banking and finance account for 30 per cent of publicly reported DLT use cases, followed by government at 13 per cent, insurance at 12 per cent and healthcare at 8 per cent.
- “Immature” technology is still considered one of the key challenges to broader DLT adoption.
- There is significant public sector DLT activity at the local, regional, national and multilateral institution level.
- 58% of public sector institutions (excluding central banks) have planned advanced DLT trials this year compared to only one quarter of central banks; 42% of central banks cannot yet predict when trials might begin.
- Only limited network and application deployment has been observed to date: the vast majority of users are experimenting with small-scale, isolated networks.
“‘Blockchain’ and DLT are beginning to rewire our digital infrastructure and challenge our thinking on how data, information, assets and even governance can be organised and reimagined,” said Bryan Zhang, Co-Founder and Interim Executive Director of the CCAF. “We are grateful for the support offered by VISA and EY to help us research and better understand the rapidly evolving DLT landscape.”
The study was compiled through two online surveys of private and public sector actors between December 2016 and May 2017 through secure web-based questionnaires, supplemented by secondary sources.
The report aims to make Blockchain technology understandable to a wide audience, beginning with a section entitled ‘Blockchain and DLT 101’, which explains that a Blockchain in simple terms is a type of database that is replicated over a peer-to-peer network. Contrary to other distributed databases, Blockchains and DLT can reduce the need for trust among participants and eliminate the need for a central administrator as entities have shared control over data. The section addresses when using a Blockchain is appropriate and debunks a number of common “Blockchain myths”.
Other sections include the DLT Landscape, including how the enterprise DLT ecosystem has evolved and a taxonomy of key ecosystem actors; Use Cases and Business Models exploring investigated applications and business models; Architecture and Governance comparing various DLT software architectures; Challenges and Interoperability examining obstacles to adoption; and Public Sector use of DLT.
Hamish Thomas, Partner, Financial Services Advisory, EY, said:
“Distributed Ledger Technology promises increased speed and efficiency, greater transparency and improved trust across transaction value chains. However, while the future looks exciting, there is still work to be done in areas such as legal and regulatory frameworks, industry standards, governance and security. This global benchmarking study will be a rich source of information, helping leaders across all sectors better understand current areas of focus, attitudes towards the technology and the types of questions that still need to be addressed.”
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry - October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale - October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development - October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017