It took just half a year for the team of National Settlement Depository (NSD), Russia’s central securities depository, to find a solution for the challenge of maintaining confidentiality when verifying distributed ledger transactions. The achievement has become a cornerstone in Blockchain-based corporate solutions for the financial sector in which financial privacy, in terms of client account balances, is a key. What is seen now as a breakthrough had started with the desire to try to create a distributed ledger-based e-voting system for shareholders.
The Global Issue of Confidentiality in Blockchain
Once distributed ledger technology emerged, both developers and businesses proposed a list of applied problems that could be efficiently solved using Blockchain. The list included a challenge of creating an e-voting system for securities owners. NSD accepted the challenge, as the company has long been developing similar solutions, although based on more conventional technology.
Once the solution designed by NSD is implemented, any company will be able to ensure confidential, transparent, and reliable shareholder voting, regardless of the number of shareholders voting or the complexity of the voting process. This is made possible by Blockchain technology which helps reduce costs associated with various corporate disputes. According to the data available to NSD, each year Russian commercial (arbitrazh) courts handle roughly 12,000 corporate dispute cases, of which 20% are disputes relating to decisions made by corporate management bodies, 18% are disputes over ownership of shares, and 14% are cases in which someone is seeking to invalidate a deal.
In the course of prototype implementation, the developers found that it was impossible to ensure complete confidentiality during the voting process on any of the existing Blockchain platforms. That is a global issue relevant to any closed corporate system migrating to distributed ledger technology.
Most centralized IT solutions are isolated, thus preventing external access. External players cannot get information on who voted, how they voted, and how many stocks they used to vote. Any attempt to get such information – either through insiders or through data leakage by the vote counting commission – is a violation of law and subject to penalty. However, if we launch a distributed system, we will be able to derive certain information from the data recorded on a computer of someone involved in maintaining the distributed ledger. Transactions are anonymized; however, as there is some information available regarding market players (such as, who makes most transactions, or who owns an interest in the company), one can interpret such information correctly and, thus, get knowledge of insider information.
That is why NSD decided to invest both in the development of an e-voting system, and in finding a solution to the confidentiality issue in general.
The issue of anonymization in the voting process was dealt with by a team of NSD’s employees, external IT security experts, and many developers from across DataArt offices in St. Petersburg, London, New York, Odessa, Kyiv, and Voronezh. The project also involved consultations with the ZCash protocol developers.
The project team applied special encryption techniques that allowed them to maintain the distributed nature of Blockchain technology, while ensuring complete data confidentiality. Thanks to the joint efforts, a new technology was created which maintains anonymity of participants in the course of transaction verification and allows to control the voting process and to automatically count votes in the distributed ledger.
From the business perspective, the solution makes it impossible to identify, even indirectly, deal parties, voting participants, or wallet owners in open Blockchain networks.
The solution was implemented on the Hyperledger Fabric platform and allows for any digital assets to be issued and dealt with, with any such transaction being protected against forgery through the use of cryptographic tools designed to verify the total balance of the asset in the network.
Creation of a Blockchain-Based Enterprise Platform
As part of the reference implementation of the Hyperledger Fabric platform, the confidentiality issue is solved by removing the network nodes that bear no relation to the particular transaction from the validation process. The remaining network participants are removed from the validation process and cannot see any data irrelevant to them. In addition, in the Hyperledger Fabric network, only a centralized transaction ordering service may, by default, see all data.
To make sure that all of the requirements to the voting process are met, ZK-SNARK algorithms were used. Those algorithms are, in particular, applied for implementation of ZCASH, an anonymous cryptocurrency, and ensure the highest possible level of confidentiality in distributed ledgers at minimum resource costs (as compared to other systems). Technically, the joint use of the ZK-SNARK and Hyperledger Fabric 1.0 algorithms allowed NSD’s team to solve the issue of confidentiality in Blockchain and to create an effective and efficient voting system. The system has been successfully tested throughout the entire process, from the voting initialization through to the voting, vote counting, and vote recording.
Opportunities for Business
The confidentiality solution opens prospects for implementation of Blockchain-based corporate solutions. NSD is in the process of having its rights to the new algorithms registered.
The solution designed by NSD may be used for Blockchain-based distributed recordkeeping of financial instruments and, in the future, adapted to a wide range of business challenges, such as delivery of goods and services, registration and transfers of rights, financial transactions, and quality assurance.
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017