Zilliqa, a Blockchain platform developed by National University of Singapore researchers, recently reached a breakthrough for scalability on its platform by increasing the throughput threshold to 2,488 transactions per second on an internal testnet thanks to their “sharding” technology.
What is often seen as a thorn in the side of Blockchain technology is the issue of how to properly scale the transaction load to meet market-ready standards. Currently both the Ethereum and Bitcoin are vastly inferior at handling large scale transaction loads; on average both Blockchains process between 7-10 TX/sec.
In a live interview with “The Rundown” on CNBC International in Singapore, Dr. Xinshu Dong, CEO of Zilliqa, explained that the concept of sharding has the potential to solve the scalability problem with existing Blockchains using their technology of sharding. He also stated that goal of Zilliqa would be to “at least hit the average throughput of VISA and MasterCard,” which is around 8,000 TX/s.
The breakthrough was made thanks to the Ziliqa team’s coordinated effort that leveraged all available Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 instances in Singapore which met required criteria. A total of 3,600 AWS EC2 instances operated as single nodes and performed tests on the infrastructure of the Blockchain system, providing verifiable results. Testing rounds from a month prior yielded a result of 1,400 TX/s on 2,800 similarly deployed AWS EC2 nodes.
The Ziliqa team estimates that if it had as many nodes as are active in Ethereum, the platform would be able to manage over 15,000 TX/s, nearly twice as many as the VISA network’s average throughput, the largest global electronic payment system in the world.
Dr. Dong leads a the team of researchers and engineers at Zilliqa who are developing the Ziliqa Blockchain platform and achieved the breakthrough. This marks the first time such a “sharding” protocol, introduced in 2015 by Prof. Prateek Saxena’s team, has met with a scalable deployment on a permission-less system. The sharding technique partitions transaction block verification to machines in a network by running parallel subcommittees (shards) that process and then collate the verified data into a final block.
A particular challenge with sharding comes with accounting for bias. Meeting the challenge of secure sharding in an unbiased manner, the Ziliqa team has developed a mechanism that dynamically elects and manages updates to special committees of machines.
In addition Ziliqa is creating a smart contract language that, although non-Turing complete, is instead scalability driven. This language will be perfect for applications like automated auctions, digital advertising, or in shared economies. The language follows a dataflow-like programming style wherein it can be visualized as a directed graph. Nodes on the graph are represented by computations, whereas arcs represent input and output.
Ziliqa’s successful implementation of sharding protocols put it on par with other high frequency transaction projects set to be deployed to Blockchains, such as the Ethereum complementary Raiden Network, an off-chain payment processing platform compatible with ERC-20 tokens, or the Lightning Network, a bitcoin Blockchain-based instant payment system, and Plasma protocol, authored by developer Joseph Poon and Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin.
In December 2017 the Ziliqa team will release the source code for its platform and open a public testnet. The public and developed alike are invited to engage in testing the system’s functionality, robustness and join in the design of the next iteration of dApps that can be integrated with the platform.
- To learn more about Zilliqa visit: https://www.zilliqa.com
- Join their Slack via: https://invite.zilliqa.com/
- Read their Whitepaper:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/zilliqa
- Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/zilliqa/
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! - October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History - October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform - October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign - October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance - October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale - October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain - October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers - October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment - October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions - October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications - October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More - October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors - October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech - October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced - October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 - October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets - October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve - October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets - October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale - October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns - October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency - October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics - October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market - October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO - October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised - October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale - October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology - October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy - October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign - October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens - October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry - October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers - October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced - October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance - October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency - October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response - October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence - October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand - October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs - October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board - October 10, 2017