As concern builds over the regulatory status and responsibilities of initial coin offerings (ICOs), particularly in the US, the Praetorian Group has pre-emptively filed a USD 75 million ICO, backed by property rent income, with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
According to a post by IPO investment advisor, Renaissance Capital, the Praetorian Group, which calls itself a Cryptocurrency Real Estate Investment Vehicle (CREIV) – has filed what appears to be the first ICO to issue tokens with the SEC.
Praetorian’s website states the firm plans to offer 15 million /PAX tokens, which it claims are backed by real properties, unlike other cryptocurrencies. The token sale is currently in a private phase, pending SEC approval.
The company admits that PAX tokens may not constitute a security that needs to be registered with the SEC, but states that regulatory uncertainties led it to preemptively seek the SEC’s approval.Neither is Praetorian’s S-1 filing structured like a typical IPO document with the same level of disclosure.
At USD 5 per coin, 200 million PAX tokens give the company a market value of USD 1 billion at its proposed ICO price. The offering is not underwritten, and no investment banks, law firms or auditors are listed in the prospectus, Renaissance said.
According to Praetorian’s whitepaper, with the ICO proceeds, the company plans to purchase five to seven properties in New York each month, projecting a gross cap rate of 10-18 percent.
A year after the ICO takes place, Praetorian said it will introduce a /PAX debit and credit card, alongside a mobile payment app that can convert a user’s cryptocurrencies. Praetorian expects to go live with a working card and a million potential users by December 25, 2019, rising to five million users by January 2020, and at least 10 million by January 2021, according to a company statement.
Tokens will be sold only on the Praetorian website and can be purchased with Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. The company said it anticipates the /PAX token will be traded on cryptocurrency secondary exchanges, including DEX, Binance, Bittrex, Liqui, Poloniex and Kraken.
- Lloyds Register Foundation Funds Maritime Blockchain Labs Project with BLOC - March 23, 2018
- FT Slams Saga’s New Regulatory-Friendly, Non-Anonymous Crypto - March 23, 2018
- BitRewards Partners With Influencer Marketing Platform AdHive - March 23, 2018
- Making Giving Transparent: Charity Startup Giftcoin Opens Public Sale - March 22, 2018
- Wikipedia Rival Everipedia Sets June Airdrop Date - March 22, 2018
- Kik’s Kin Token Now Powered by Stellar and Ethereum in Parallel for Faster Transactions - March 22, 2018
- Yoo-Mi PHA Uses Tokens as Incentives for Its AI-Powered Wellness Platform - March 21, 2018
- Kyber Launches Public Crypto-Exchange in Beta - March 21, 2018
- New Global Industry Body to Draft Crypto Code of Conduct - March 21, 2018
- News From Crypto Island: Now Malta’s Lawyers are Tokenizing Themselves - March 21, 2018
- UK’s Energi Mine Platform Begins Energy Saving Trials With EMA Members Including Network Rail - March 20, 2018
- Hedera Plans Speedier, Safer, More Democratic Blockchain Alternative: Hashgraph - March 20, 2018
- Academy Blockchain Fuels Expansion Plans With Major Ed-Tech Acquisition - March 19, 2018
- USDX Protocol: Plans for Dencentralized, Crypto-Backed Stablecoin Unveiled - March 19, 2018
- Dash Files Patent Ahead of Heralded Evolution Platform Launch - March 19, 2018
- Key Deals for Estonian Green Energy Trading Platform WePower - March 16, 2018
- Dash Integrates on Payza Online Platform Providing Bitcoin Alternative - March 16, 2018
- Monaco Makes Play for South Korea With GOPAX Exchange Listing - March 16, 2018
- Genomic Platform Shivom Joins With Genetic Technologies to Speed Cancer Prediction - March 16, 2018
- Loom Network Raises $25m, Launches Platform for Large-Scale DApps on Ethereum Blockchain - March 15, 2018
- Dutch Startup Safeguard Partners With Startupbootcamp, Plans ICO for AI Accident Predictor - March 15, 2018
- Telecom & Blockchain Firms Collaborate on PoC for Ultra-Speedy Payment Settlements - March 15, 2018
- SpaceChain Partners With Arch Mission to Preserve Mankind’s Legacy in Space - March 15, 2018
- Private Equity Platform Swarm Goes Live - March 14, 2018
- BLOK Technologies Raising CAD 3 Million in Private Placement - March 14, 2018
- Highly-Anticipated High-Speed Platform, Zilliqa Hires JPMorgan BD Exec Ahead of Release - March 13, 2018
- IMF’s Lagarde Warns of Crypto Peril, Advocates Fighting Fire With Fire - March 13, 2018
- RealBlock Expands Property Title Network in Arizona With Addition of Landmark - March 13, 2018
- Social Media Platform JET8 Names Ex-Amazon China VP Bruce Aitken as CEO - March 13, 2018
- Naviaddress Global Digital Address Platform Launches in Beta - March 13, 2018
- Veris Launches Market-Ready Healthcare Solution Ahead of First US, Non-Profit ICO - March 12, 2018
- Blockchain Dating Platform Viola.AI Weds MegaX Retail Network, Gets Set for ICO - March 12, 2018
- Unchained Capital Approved For Crypto-Backed Loans in California - March 12, 2018
- Leafbuyer Looks to Gain Advantage With Blockchain Verification - March 12, 2018
- Praetorian Group Announces First Ever SEC Registered ICO - March 9, 2018
- EQUI: Strong Early Interest in Baroness’s Blockchain Venture, USD 7 Million Raised in Presale - March 9, 2018
- Netflix for VR? Terra Virtua Launches Platform Ahead of ICO - March 9, 2018
- KickCity Launches in Beta to Reward Event Promotion With KCY Token - March 8, 2018
- Millennium Blockchain Invests $5m in Healthcare Platform BurstIQ - March 8, 2018
- Silicon Valley Veteran Robert Nielson to Lead Bot Decentralization at Seed Vault - March 7, 2018
- VideoCoin Pulls ICO as Presale Nears $50m Hard Cap - March 7, 2018
- A Dirty Coin to Leverage Rap Legend’s Estate and Fund Son’s Music Career - March 6, 2018
- UN-Backed Awards Scheme Seeks Startups in Cross-Border Money Transfer Innovation - March 6, 2018
- Cloud Alliance Partners With Guardtime to Secure Blockchain MOO Store - March 5, 2018
- Bithumb Founder Daesik Kim Joins Bezant to Expand Borderless Payments in SE Asia - March 5, 2018
- Vaultbank Beta Launch Puts Tokens and Funds on One Exchange - March 5, 2018
- COBINHOOD Rolls Out Mobile Apps for High Speed Trading - March 5, 2018
- TrustedHealth Plans ICO to Democratize Access to Medical Specialists - March 2, 2018
- Overstock’s tZERO Rejigs ICO Plans Amid SEC Probe - March 1, 2018
- Harbor Urges ICO Issuers to Embrace R-Token as Standard and Close US Regulatory Gap - March 1, 2018