Launched in London on Monday, Global Digital Finance (GDF), a non-profit industry body of key stakeholders and industry leaders, is to examine best practice with a view to drafting a global Code of Conduct for cryptocurrencies. With cryptoassets being global in nature, the organizers are convinced that a shared understanding of opportunities, risks and practices is needed in order to achieve a positive transformation for financial services, society and the global economy.
With an estimated market size of USD 500 billion, GDF said the visibility of cryptoassets and the potential of continuing innovation appear to offer many new and different opportunities for consumers, businesses and governments. Many professionals in financial markets see tokens and distributed ledger technology bringing significant potential value to create efficient, fair and transparent market structures in the coming decade, the group added.
However, without the timely development of standards and coordination, both industry and regulators could misuse and misrepresent this transformative technology, said the group.
“There have been a number of positive initiatives to bring standards to the cryptocurrency sector around token sales (also known as ICOs) and tokens, and GDF has brought together some of the biggest industry players and influencers to move this agenda forward with global policy makers and regulators”, stated Simon Taylor, former Barclay’s Bank blockchain development lead, who heads up the GDF initiative.
Taylor has enlisted the support of Lawrence Wintermeyer, the former CEO of Innovate Finance and Jeff Bandman, a former FinTech advisor and innovation specialist at the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
GDF said it wants to build a path towards efficient, fair and transparent markets for every type of token, distributed ledger technology (DLT) or cryptoasset. Already engaged with regulators and industry bodies in the US and Europe, GDF said it is committed to further outreach to policymakers, regulators and industry, including working with the OECD to promote a coordinated policy approach from governments.
Greg Medcraft, Director of the Directorate for Financial and Enterprise Affairs at OECD, stated: “Cryptoasset applications, like ICOs, hold clear potential and are global in reach, but are subject to a wide range of regulatory treatments across jurisdictions. This demonstrates the need for international policy coordination, and the first step is to establish a common understanding. We welcome GDF’s initiative to develop a taxonomy and a Code of Conduct, and the OECD looks forward to collaborating with industry on these priorities.”
GDF’s first steps will address ICOs and token markets, estimated to have raised up to USD 6 billion. Urgent challenges include the need for a common understanding on the nature of tokens and how they may be utilized in distributed ledgers and other innovations, as well as the financial stability and market integrity implications of greater exposure to tokens, said the organization. Other key areas are better protection for vulnerable investors and a common approach to Anti Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing.
GDF said it aims to have a draft Code of Conduct available in Q2 2018 for wider industry review, with an adoption goal in the second half of year.
For further information see: https://gdf.io/
- S. Korea’s RecordFarm Eyes Music Industry Disruption with RCD Token - April 26, 2018
- Bottos Launching AI Data Sharing Marketplace for Low Cost Data - April 25, 2018
- Industry Leaders React to European Parliament Vote to Tighten Crypto Regulation - April 24, 2018
- Trade Finance Platform Batavia Completes Live Pilot with Audi Shipment - April 24, 2018
- Sun Exchange Launches SUNEX Token for Solar Venture - April 23, 2018
- Pundi X Announces Token Buyback to Fuel Future Partnerships - April 19, 2018
- Marsh Works With IBM for Blockchain Proof of Commercial Insurance - April 19, 2018
- DNAtix Meets Milestone PoC with DNA Blockchain Transfer - April 17, 2018
- Korea’s Coinone Exchange Sets June Date for Indonesia Launch - April 17, 2018
- AidCoin Launches in Beta, Partners With TokenStars and LastMinute Foundation - April 9, 2018
- Quantum and River Oaks Form JV for Medical Billing Blockchain Initiative - April 9, 2018
- E-Sports Predictions Platform RankingBall to Kick off Token Sale - April 9, 2018
- MintHealth Launches Dual-Token Equity Sale for Healthcare Ecosystem - April 9, 2018
- New Decentralized Crypto Exchange Ethen to Prioritize Accessibility Along With Security - April 6, 2018
- Lykke Exchange Lists Privacy Coin Zcash - April 6, 2018
- Royal Wedding Goes Crypto: Harry and Meghan Charity Token Launched - April 5, 2018
- Coinnup Online/Offline Crypto Platform Prepares for April ICO - April 5, 2018
- Russia’s Starta Ventures Launches $20M Fund for Pre-ICO Startups - April 5, 2018
- Augmented Reality Platform Arcona Readies ICO With Digital Land Giveaway - April 4, 2018
- EnvisionX Launches ICO for Transparent, Programmatic Advertising Platform - April 4, 2018
- Kinguin Launches ICO to Tokenize Award-Winning Gaming Marketplace - April 3, 2018
- PayPal Competitor Request Network Launches Crypto Payment Service - April 3, 2018
- DashBid Launches Non-US Tokensale for PreVUE Advertising Model - April 2, 2018
- TVzavr’s MoviesChain Wins Russian Blockchain Media Award - April 2, 2018
- WISeKey Crypto Solution Lets Connected Objects Pay With WISeCoin - April 2, 2018
- Netflix-Style VR Platform Terra Virtua Launches at London’s BAFTA - March 30, 2018
- Dutch Startup unchain Launches Enterprise-Grade Blockchain Platform, Signs Energy PoC With Vattenfall - March 30, 2018
- Electrify.Asia and Streamr Team Up to Give Users Data Power - March 30, 2018
- Delphy Rebrand Ahead of Predictive Markets App Launch - March 29, 2018
- Tradewind Launches Gold Platform Secured by Royal Canadian Mint - March 28, 2018
- PwC France & Francophone Africa Collaborate to Advance Regional Blockchain Adoption - March 28, 2018
- Blockchain-Based Container Shipping Platform 300cubits to Embark on Token Sale - March 27, 2018
- Polyswarm Raises $26M for Decentralized Anti-Malware Platform - March 27, 2018
- Monopoly’s Crypto Rival, Worldopoly Gets Set for Public Presale - March 26, 2018
- Polymath Taps Crowd Machine to Power Regulatory Compliant Security Tokens - March 26, 2018
- Toronto Stock Exchange Operator TMX and Paycase Launch Crypto Broker Desk - March 26, 2018
- PeerStream Hooks Lon Wong’s ProximaX as First Client - March 26, 2018
- Lloyds Register Foundation Funds Maritime Blockchain Labs Project with BLOC - March 23, 2018
- FT Slams Saga’s New Regulatory-Friendly, Non-Anonymous Crypto - March 23, 2018
- BitRewards Partners With Influencer Marketing Platform AdHive - March 23, 2018
- Making Giving Transparent: Charity Startup Giftcoin Opens Public Sale - March 22, 2018
- Wikipedia Rival Everipedia Sets June Airdrop Date - March 22, 2018
- Kik’s Kin Token Now Powered by Stellar and Ethereum in Parallel for Faster Transactions - March 22, 2018
- Yoo-Mi PHA Uses Tokens as Incentives for Its AI-Powered Wellness Platform - March 21, 2018
- Kyber Launches Public Crypto-Exchange in Beta - March 21, 2018
- New Global Industry Body to Draft Crypto Code of Conduct - March 21, 2018
- News From Crypto Island: Now Malta’s Lawyers are Tokenizing Themselves - March 21, 2018
- UK’s Energi Mine Platform Begins Energy Saving Trials With EMA Members Including Network Rail - March 20, 2018
- Hedera Plans Speedier, Safer, More Democratic Blockchain Alternative: Hashgraph - March 20, 2018
- Academy Blockchain Fuels Expansion Plans With Major Ed-Tech Acquisition - March 19, 2018