Twenty-two European countries signed a declaration Wednesday on the establishment of a European Blockchain Partnership.
Officials expect the partnership to facilitate cooperation among member states in technical and regulatory fields, as well as prepare for the launch of EU-wide blockchain applications throughout the Digital Single Market for the benefit of the public and private sectors.
The partnership is also intended to allow Europe to play a leading role in the development and roll-out of blockchain technologies. It is expected to contribute to the creation of an enabling environment, in full compliance with EU laws and with clear governance models to help services using blockchain technologies grow throughout Europe, officials said.
The countries participating in the declaration are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK. Other members of the EU and of the European Economic Area are invited to join.
Earlier this year, the European Commission launched an EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum and has since invested more than EUR 80 million in projects supporting the use of blockchain in technical and societal areas, according to a statement. About EUR 300 million more is to be allocated to blockchain-based tech by 2020, officials said.
Speaking at EU Digital Day 2018, on Tuesday, Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society Mariya Gabriel (pictured) outlined the potential for blockchain technology:
“In the future, all public services will use blockchain technology. Blockchain is a great opportunity for Europe and member states to rethink their information systems, to promote user trust and the protection of personal data, to help create new business opportunities and to establish new areas of leadership, benefiting citizens, public services and companies.”
- Frankl Launches Airdrop for Scientists and Students - April 25, 2018
- Crypto Exchange and Trading Platform VRBex Launches Presale - April 25, 2018
- Former Google Execs Form New Blockchain Alliance - April 23, 2018
- Blackmoon Launches Asset-Management Platform Services - April 20, 2018
- Malta-Based Decentralized Ventures to Spearhead Crypto Island’s Blockchain Services Provision - April 19, 2018
- Project Aiur Seeks to Verify Academic Research With Blockchain & AI - April 17, 2018
- Decentralized Reality Show Seeks Young Entrepreneurs With an Appetite for Disruption - April 16, 2018
- Santander Launches Blockchain-Powered International Money Transfer Service in Four Countries - April 16, 2018
- NetCents Launches Instant Settlements to Fight Market Volatility - April 13, 2018
- New Reports Highlight Blockchain’s Impact on Manufacturing & Supply Chain Logistics - April 13, 2018
- Distributed Storage Solution Oyster Protocol Readies Friday Airdrop for PRL Token Holders - April 13, 2018
- Millennium BlockChain Announces $3M Investment in ImpactPPA’s Renewable Energy Platform - April 12, 2018
- 22 Countries to Establish European Blockchain Partnership - April 11, 2018