Private equity (PE) blockchain fund Swarm is bringing the FarmCoin pan-African financial and commodities ecosystem to its investment marketplace, allowing investors an entry point into a major, unbanked global market and the opportunity to help subsistence farmers across the poorest parts of Africa.
In a press release Monday, Philipp Pieper, CEO and Co-Founder of Swarm, said the development places the company at ground zero for much of the world’s unbanked population. “Our strategy is based on using our unique ecosystem to create real value to hundreds of millions of people, enabling them to trade responsibly with an objective of increasing income to farmers to deliver economic security across Africa,” he said.
Investors who participate via Swarm’s marketplace will be able to purchase asset-backed /FARM tokens, which represent fractional ownership in FarmCoin infrastructure, according to the statement. /FARM token holders will benefit from a share in the fees and interest paid by the farmers.
FarmCoin has been created by a joint venture between financial and commodities ecosystem FinComEco (a subsidiary of GMEX Group) and fertilizer group Block Commodities (formerly African Potash).
FarmCoin aims to provide financial opportunities for the 700 million unbanked subsistence farmers across Africa who either cannot get loans or are forced to take on loans via moneylenders at uneconomic rates, said the company’s statement. FinComEco is currently engaged with over 20 countries across Africa.
The FarmCoin model allows farmers to bring surplus crops to a warehouse, rather than going to waste, where they will receive immediate payment or get financing via a loan of FarmCoins that can then be used to buy certified seeds, fertilizer or education at discounted rates.
The deposited crops are aggregated and sold via a facilitated commodities exchange, with the farmers getting prices via mobile texts. Once the crops are sold, the warehouse fees and loan interest are paid and the surplus is given to the farmer in more FarmCoins.
The interest rates on FarmCoins will be at a mutually agreed, decentralized rate of interest, expected to be more than 50 percent lower than the current bank lending rate and 75 percent less than the commercial rate, according to the statement.
“Our primary concern is providing needed infrastructure and resources to unbanked farmers in Africa, enabling them to feed their families by providing security of transaction, eliminating corruption, reducing costs of borrowing, and ensuring the liquidity for the purchase of inputs by ensuring the sale of produce,” said Hirander Misra, Co-Chairman and Founder of FinComEco.
“Support from Swarm Fund allows Block Commodities and FinComEco to make real progress on these goals enabled by blockchain technology,” said Chris Cleverly, Executive Chairman of Block Commodities.
“By 2030, the population of Africa will have doubled to 2.5 billion, creating a profound need for a supportive and educational ecosystem that gives farmers a route to improve themselves and take their families away from everlasting cycles of poverty, starvation and dependency. Blockchain and smart contract investments like FarmCoin enable market inefficiencies such as corruption, market access and perception-based debt costs to be removed,” added Pieper.
- FunFair Launches Blockchain Casino Platform in Closed Beta - May 25, 2018
- On GDPR Day, a Blockchain Solution - May 25, 2018
- Ogilvy Hosts Rebranding Contest for Crypto Hopefuls in NYC - May 24, 2018
- MoneyToken Adds BCH, Brings Roger Ver and Mate Tokay on Board - May 24, 2018
- Japan’s Biggest Bank to Roll out Blockchain Payment System by 2020 - May 23, 2018
- Envion Legal Battle Is Latest Swiss Crypto Bust Up - May 22, 2018
- Kontakt.io Teams IoT Platform with IOTA’s Blockchain for Monitoring and Asset Tracking - May 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Launches MyClinic.com Telemedicine Platform - May 22, 2018
- Malta Picks Omnitude to Drive Blockchain Into Public Transport - May 21, 2018
- European Parliament Passes Resolution Supporting Blockchain Technology - May 21, 2018
- Leading Indian Banks Form Blockchain Trade Network with InfoSys - May 18, 2018
- Orbs Raises $118 Million to Fund Consumer Apps Blockchain Platform - May 18, 2018
- WordPress for Blockchain: Superblocks Launches with $1 Million in Funding - May 18, 2018
- Bloq Metronome Token Sale is on for June 18 - May 18, 2018
- Cloud Alternative SONM Connects a Million Devices in Fog Network - May 17, 2018
- Swarm Fund Brings FarmCoin to PE Platform to Help African Farmers - May 16, 2018
- Evident Proof and Swytch Forge Alliance for Energy Production Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- Nasdaq Powered DX.Exchange Launches Easy Trading Platform - May 15, 2018
- Lykke Creates Investment and Advisory Spinoff BVV - May 14, 2018
- EQUI Capital to Extend ICO and Widen Investment Remit - May 14, 2018
- Chinese Government to Publish Monthly Scorecard of Global Crypto Projects - May 14, 2018
- Sportsbook WinFlow Wagers on Hashgraph Ahead of Fundraising - May 14, 2018
- Adult Industry Payment Processor PumaPay Pulls in USD 117 Million in Token Sale - May 11, 2018
- ConsenSys Opens Dublin Innovation Studio - May 10, 2018
- Human Avatar Creator Ubiatar Launches Telepresence Platform and ICO - May 10, 2018
- Bloomberg Launches BGCI Crypto Index with Novogratz’s Galaxy - May 10, 2018
- MovieCoin and BANKEX Open Door to Hollywood Investment Opportunities - May 10, 2018
- Netherlands Delivers National Blockchain Agenda to Stimulate Research - May 9, 2018
- Microsoft Launches Wave of AI Development Services and Blockchain Workbench - May 9, 2018
- IOHK Sizes up Blockchain Applications with Ethiopian Government - May 9, 2018
- Independent Music Platform Choon Beta Launches with NOTES Token Payments - May 8, 2018
- Climate Change Champ Leo DiCaprio Joins Decentralized Solar Platform Kingo - May 7, 2018
- Blockstack and ShapeShift Bounty Offers USD 50k for Best Decentralized Wallet - May 7, 2018
- Origin Protocol Taps Silicon Valley and Blockchain Funds to Raise USD 28.5 Million - May 7, 2018
- ZPER Embeds Trustonic in New Mobile Wallet for Optimized Security - May 2, 2018
- MEW and Kyber Network Commence Token Swap Service - May 1, 2018
- Etherisc Platform to Host Blockchain-Based Hurricane Insurance for Puerto Rico - May 1, 2018
- Litecoin Inventor Charlie Lee Joins DMG Blockchain Advisory Board - April 30, 2018
- San Marino Partners With Polybius to Develop Blockchain Legislative Framework - April 27, 2018
- S. Korea’s RecordFarm Eyes Music Industry Disruption with RCD Token - April 26, 2018
- Bottos Launching AI Data Sharing Marketplace for Low Cost Data - April 25, 2018
- Industry Leaders React to European Parliament Vote to Tighten Crypto Regulation - April 24, 2018
- Trade Finance Platform Batavia Completes Live Pilot with Audi Shipment - April 24, 2018
- Sun Exchange Launches SUNEX Token for Solar Venture - April 23, 2018
- Pundi X Announces Token Buyback to Fuel Future Partnerships - April 19, 2018
- Marsh Works With IBM for Blockchain Proof of Commercial Insurance - April 19, 2018
- DNAtix Meets Milestone PoC with DNA Blockchain Transfer - April 17, 2018
- Korea’s Coinone Exchange Sets June Date for Indonesia Launch - April 17, 2018
- AidCoin Launches in Beta, Partners With TokenStars and LastMinute Foundation - April 9, 2018
- Quantum and River Oaks Form JV for Medical Billing Blockchain Initiative - April 9, 2018