Portland-based startup Chroma announced the launch of Chroma.fund, the nation’s first blockchain-enabled IPO platform, as well as the world’s first “Blockchain IPO.” Chroma.fund uses a Bitcoin-based cryptocurrency similar to technology being used by NASDAQ to issue digital certificates for stocks on bonds issued on its platform — but instead of augmenting Wall St. systems, Chroma.fund is using its blockchain technology to build a new stock exchange for the millions of small businesses that aren’t large enough to be listed on the NYSE or NASDAQ.
“Large corporations have for years benefitted from their ability to raise money directly from the public. But smaller businesses are forced to rack up credit card bills and bank loans in order to get their dream off the ground. As of today, your local coffee roaster may use Chroma.fund to raise investment from their customers and community,” said Marcus Estes, CEO and cofounder of Chroma.fund. “This movement will reshape the entire American economy.”
The first five companies conducting “mini-IPOs” on Chroma.fund are: FUSE Comics, a new digital comics imprint by the Pander Brothers, a cultfamous duo who have created work for Marvel, DC and Dark Horse Comics. Baams Away VR, a colorful, easy to play animated game that is one of the first wave of games designed for next year’s Virtual Reality headsets.
EggDrop, a monthly subscription box for kids who love blind bags, blind boxes, surprise eggs and surprise toys of any kind! Publication Studio, a print-on-demand small press publisher that highlights titles that have been previously censored by the market. The Tannery, an Eastside Portland neighborhood bar offering craft cocktails, a well curated selection of artisanal spirits, beer and wine, completed by a tasty bar menu. While some of these companies are selling shares in exchange for an equity stake in the business, several have opted to use a ChromaCoin™ bond — a new financial instrument instrument invented by Chroma.fund.
These bonds allow investors to own a future percentage of revenue generated by the business. The ChromaCoin bond is designed for the millions of small businesses that don’t rely on startup economics – like fast growth with intent to sell – to serve their customers. Chroma.fund users invest with US dollars, but instead of receiving a paper stock certificate, users are instead issued a ChromaCoin — a tiny fraction of a single Bitcoin, worth less than a penny.
This ChromaCoin serves as a counterfeit-proof record of ownership of the stocks and bonds purchased on Chroma.fund. Chroma.fund is working with the state of Oregon who have granted them permission to faciliate the sale of stocks and bonds issued by Oregon-based companies to Oregon investors. Chroma.fund expects to launch nationwide next year. Chroma.fund is empowering a new class of investors to grow their local economies and take part in a future where small businesses, startups, and creative projects are all able to “go public” — without relying on Wall Street institutions.
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019
- æternity Teams Up with Uruguay Can to Track Cannabis Production on the Blockchain - October 2, 2019
- Streamr Launches Global Pub/Sub Network For Machine Data - October 2, 2019
- SEC Orders Blockone to Pay $24 Million Fine for Unregistered ICO - October 2, 2019