Governor Jack Markell announced today the establishment of the Delaware Blockchain Initiative, a suite of programs that aims to encourage expanded use and development of distributed ledger and smart contract technologies by Delaware-incorporated businesses.
Blockchain technology enables a network of users to make and verify transactions instantaneously and without centralized intermediaries. The technology uses strong encryption to enable network participants to securely and transparently manipulate a shared digital ledger, thereby expediting processing, cutting costs, and decreasing the potential for fraud.
The State of Delaware is working closely with Symbiont, a pioneer in the use of smart contracts on blockchain technology, to develop the technical aspects of the Initiative. Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP, the leading blockchain technology legal team, is developing the legal infrastructure.
“Delaware has long been the jurisdiction of choice for the most innovative companies in the world,” said Governor Markell. “The Delaware Blockchain Initiative demonstrates the state’s commitment to ensuring this remains the case for the growing blockchain technology sector. By creating the opportunity for a broad range of corporations – from Fortune 500 companies to startups – to take advantage of distributed ledger and smart contract applications, we are laying the groundwork for a more modern, secure and transparent business environment for years to come.”
Delaware intends to work closely with its technology and legal ambassadors to ensure smooth implementation of this new suite of programs.
“It is our mission at Symbiont to work with market-leading institutions and we are delighted to work with The State of Delaware,” said Mark Smith, CEO of Symbiont. “Given its leadership position in incorporation services, it’s an ideal proving ground for smart contracts.”
“We are honored to be chosen as Delaware’s legal ambassadors to the Blockchain industry,” said Marco Santori, leader of Pillsbury’s Blockchain Technology focus team. “The Delaware Blockchain initiative presents a tremendous opportunity for our attorneys to apply their deep experience in distributed ledgers to do true social and economic good.”
Governor Markell will unveil the details of this historic initiative at the opening keynote presentation at the Consensus 2016 conference in New York City at 8:25 a.m. on May 2nd.
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019
- Interview: Brock Pierce and Two Prime’s Alexander S. Blum - November 4, 2019
- Samsung Bullish on Blockchain – Pushing for Developers on New Samsung Blockchain Platform SDK - November 1, 2019
- Busted: SEC and CFTC Nail First Global Credit – a Swiss Security-Based Bitcoin Swaps Dealer That Allegedly Aimed at American Investors - November 1, 2019
- Zilliqa and Oxford Women in Computer Science Society Join to Bring Diversity to Blockchain Sector - November 1, 2019