At the recent MIT Sloan CIO Symposium, one of the critical questions brought forward examined “…what use case of Blockchain will become its tipping point?” according to a post at the MIT Sloan School‘s [email protected] Blog.
MIT Professor Christian Catalini, who moderated the CIO Symposium panel, “How Blockchain will Transform the Digital Economy,” described Blockchain as “…bringing together the fields of computer science, market design, and law.”
“In some ways, the opportunities around Blockchain technology seem almost limitless—it can enable trusted micro-transactions, it is inherently auditable, and it addresses what can’t be addressed by traditional distributed databases.”
The panelists (Anders Brownworth of Circle, Peter Nichol of PA Consulting Group, Simon Peffers of Intel, and Matthew Utterback of Rex Mercury, Inc.) provided a wide range of applications where Blockchain technology can make a significant impact, such as:
- Accounting on the fly
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) and tracking usage
- Enabling digital financial transactions in cash-only developing economies
- Reducing fraud associated with U.S. Medicaid and Medicare.
“Blockchain will become a general purpose technology, like the Internet or electricity,” said Catalini.
“The Internet may be the best indicator for what Blockchain may eventually do or become; it has fundamentally changed many aspects of our lives, and it has created new markets and new ways of doing business. Another example is Facebook, which became the “killer app” that drove millions of people to go online and interact in ways far beyond basic email usage. Blockchain is waiting for its Facebook moment.”
“We’ll likely see both private and public Blockchains (similar to intranets and the Internet). We’ll almost certainly see new forms of intellectual property generated by Blockchain technologies. We hope we’ll see vast improvements in how transactions are conducted in developing economies. What we don’t know is what will actually create the tipping point. All we can predict is that the tipping point is coming.”
Read article in full here.
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019
- Canadian Messaging Service Kik Burns $5 Million Fighting SEC Over Utility Tokens, Now Raising $5 Million More to Continue Battle - June 3, 2019
- Salesforce Introduces CRM Blockchain Platform For Selected Clients - June 3, 2019
- Block.one Plans to Tackle Pitfalls of Social Media With New Blockchain Community Called “Voice” - June 3, 2019
- CasperLabs and Ethereum on Proof of Stake Protocol at CryptoChicks in Toronto, family ran Hack-A-Thon for blockchain family - June 3, 2019
- World Economic Forum Inaugurates Global Blockchain Council to Address Lack of Well-Defined Rules for Working with Blockchain - May 29, 2019
- India’s First Blockchain Powered VoD Platform ‘myNK’ Launches At Cannes Film Festival - May 27, 2019
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019