At the recent MIT Sloan CIO Symposium, one of the critical questions brought forward examined “…what use case of Blockchain will become its tipping point?” according to a post at the MIT Sloan School‘s [email protected] Blog.
MIT Professor Christian Catalini, who moderated the CIO Symposium panel, “How Blockchain will Transform the Digital Economy,” described Blockchain as “…bringing together the fields of computer science, market design, and law.”
“In some ways, the opportunities around Blockchain technology seem almost limitless—it can enable trusted micro-transactions, it is inherently auditable, and it addresses what can’t be addressed by traditional distributed databases.”
The panelists (Anders Brownworth of Circle, Peter Nichol of PA Consulting Group, Simon Peffers of Intel, and Matthew Utterback of Rex Mercury, Inc.) provided a wide range of applications where Blockchain technology can make a significant impact, such as:
- Accounting on the fly
- Digital Rights Management (DRM) and tracking usage
- Enabling digital financial transactions in cash-only developing economies
- Reducing fraud associated with U.S. Medicaid and Medicare.
“Blockchain will become a general purpose technology, like the Internet or electricity,” said Catalini.
“The Internet may be the best indicator for what Blockchain may eventually do or become; it has fundamentally changed many aspects of our lives, and it has created new markets and new ways of doing business. Another example is Facebook, which became the “killer app” that drove millions of people to go online and interact in ways far beyond basic email usage. Blockchain is waiting for its Facebook moment.”
“We’ll likely see both private and public Blockchains (similar to intranets and the Internet). We’ll almost certainly see new forms of intellectual property generated by Blockchain technologies. We hope we’ll see vast improvements in how transactions are conducted in developing economies. What we don’t know is what will actually create the tipping point. All we can predict is that the tipping point is coming.”
Read article in full here.
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020