Santander InnoVentures, the fintech venture capital fund of Santander Group, recently announced its strategic investment in Socure – an industry leader focused on real-time digital identity verification solutions.
Socure, headquartered in New York, utilises trusted data from the digital footprint of consumers, including social media, to accurately and efficiently confirm the identity of consumers in real-time. Socure is primarily used within financial institutions for activities such as the opening of new bank accounts or the issuing of credit/debit cards. The technology has further applications across fraud prevention and compliance, ensuring firms meet requirements of directives such as anti-money laundering (AML) regulations. Current Socure customers include Kabbage and StashInvest, and partners Feedzai.
Mariano Belinky, Managing Partner at Santander InnoVentures, said:
“Identity verification is a crucial step in any banking process and is an issue challenging many consumer-facing businesses – there’s a huge opportunity for innovation in this space, in line with the evolution of digital identity and the issues around it, and we believe Socure are at the forefront of it.”
“Socure also has enormous potential for tackling the issue of financial inclusion in emerging markets, where citizens may be excluded from the banking system simply because they lack traditional credit records used for identity verification. In this situation, the Socure ID+ technology goes beyond conventional identity verification methods, opening new possibilities in untapped markets and segments. More broadly, Socure offers us the opportunity to better understand our customers, and better predict their needs.”
Sunil Madhu, Founder and CEO of Socure said:
“With this latest funding announcement, we’re extremely excited to continue our work in tackling the issues associated with identity fraud, while continuing to improve access to the financial system for the un-banked and under-banked, whether in established economies or emerging markets. With the track record and the global capability of Grupo Santander behind them, we felt Mariano and the team were a perfect fit as a VC partner that can help us grow globally.”
Meanwhile, the senior executive vice president of Strategy at Grupo Santander, Víctor Matarranz, explained today that the bank is accelerating its digital transformation through partnerships with technology companies that are global pioneers in several financial solutions that contribute to the progress of people and companies, and make their lives easier.
Matarranz, who participated today in the MoneyConf financial technology conference held in Madrid, highlighted the advantages of combining the agility and disruptive mentality of fintech companies with the international reach of banks such as Santander, which has more than 120 million customers in Europe and America, a robust infrastructure, guaranteed deposits and extensive experience in risk and regulation. “We believe the flexibility of fintech companies, and experience and soundness of banks such as Santander form the perfect partnership, good for startups and good for banks like Santander, as it helps us accelerate our digital transformation,” said Matarranz in his keynote at MoneyConf, sponsored by Banco Santander.
This latest investment is Santander InnoVentures’ ninth since its creation in 2014 – other recent investments include digital wealth advisory platform SigFig, and blockchain intelligence firm Elliptic. For more information on previous Santander InnoVentures investments, and the strategic investment philosophy behind the fund, please visit http://santanderinnoventures.com/
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019
- IBM to Track Fresh Shrimp on the Blockchain - May 8, 2019
- Binance Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked for 7000 BTC (USD $40 million) - May 8, 2019
- Gate.io Reports Success on First Three Successful IEO Projects - May 8, 2019
- Deloitte and RIDDLE&CODE expand partnership to enable the Token Economy - May 8, 2019
- Alprockz Partners with Fusion Foundation to Accelerate Swiss Franc-backed Stablecoin - May 6, 2019
- Major Canadian Banks Choose Blockchain Solution for Identity Verification - May 6, 2019
- Big Pharma Giant Pfizer and Others Join Life Sciences and Healthcare Blockchain Project MediLedger - May 6, 2019
- Craig Wright Pressured to Produce Evidence of Bitcoin and Blind Trust in the Dave Kleiman vs Craig Wright 1.1 Million BTC Court Case - May 6, 2019
- Facebook Kicks Off with their New Cryptocurrency Project Libra - May 6, 2019
- Vanbex Fights Back Against Asset Seizure in Civil Case by Suing Former Contractor for Libel - May 6, 2019
- Philippines’ CEZA Awards ADAX Rights to Open a Security Token Issuance platform and Security Trading Exchange - May 6, 2019
- Bitfinex $1 Billion IEO Details Leaked – Plans To Use Money To Cover Frozen Funds - May 6, 2019