Steemit, the popular social media platform where users get paid to post and vote online, today announced plans to add heavily requested new features to its site, including private messaging, notifications, and follow buttons.
Steemit is fast becoming a blogger’s favorite destination, with thousands of new users signing up every week and a current registered user base of over 70,000. The addition of private messaging, notifications and follow buttons will allow even more connectivity between community members, and also attract users of sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram who are well accustomed to the day-to-day functionality of such universal features.
CEO of Steemit Ned Scott said:
“Enhancing the diversity of our application-specific Blockchain is a natural progression for Steemit. Private messaging is perfectly suited for a decentralized system and will empower users in a similar way to how direct messages empower users on Twitter. The ‘follow’ feature will enable community members to receive notifications as soon as their favorite authors post, and the notifications will work just like Facebook in that users will be alerted immediately upon a new post or upvote from their favorite contributors. These features are the pillars of current social media giants and we look forward to integrating them into Steemit over the coming weeks.”
In the meantime, other entrepreneurs are answering the call, with over 60 third-party applications based off Steem (steemtools.com) built in the last two months. Promising applications running off the Steem Blockchain include Steemy, a mobile app in development for Android and iOS, and radiosteem.com, a consensus-based online jukebox. Steemit is currently recording unprecedented levels of traffic, with over 70,000 votes and over 21,000 posts per day; as a result, the platform is already drawing comparisons to the early days of Facebook and Reddit.
“We hope to offer people much more than Reddit and Facebook,” added Scott. “By simply elevating the user experience and rewarding users for their time, Steemit has a fighting chance to compete with the largest social networks. We still have a lot of work to do and we have a lot of room to grow, but on the whole we see this system as more than a new social network, but as the bedrock for an online social economy. Developers and entrepreneurs are recognizing they can go straight to the Steem Blockchain to leverage its data, identities, posts and other content. It’s very inspiring to see so much activity on the Steem Blockchain.”
In July, Steemit implemented the first Partner Enabled Account Recovery security protocol across a decentralized network. Users can now choose an Account Recovery Partner on the Steem Blockchain who can vouch for a person’s rightful ownership of an account up to 30 days after the account’s ownership key is changed. Steem currently sits in fifth place on the most valuable list of cryptocurrencies behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019
- Celsius Hits over $4 Billion in Crypto Loans – Leading the Industry - November 12, 2019
- Coinbase Introduces Staking Rewards on Tezos - November 6, 2019
- Volvo Cars to implement blockchain traceability of cobalt used in electric car batteries - November 6, 2019
- EU-Funded Acceleration Project, LEDGER, Offering Support Services and Up to €200k Equity-Free for Blockchain Data Governance Projects - November 6, 2019
- Global Financial System Regulators – the Financial Action Task Force – Issue Draft Guidance on Digital Identity - November 5, 2019
- David Chaum Releases XX Alpha Messenger Promising Unprecedented User Privacy - November 5, 2019
- Æternity Blockchain Developers Plan to Take On Ethereum With Final Hardfork – Handing over Governance to the Community - November 5, 2019
- Researchers Claim Cross-border B2B Blockchain Transactions set to Explode to $4.4 Trillion by 2024 - November 5, 2019
- Global Companies Unite to Unveil Comprehensive Framework for Tokenization – It’s About Time - November 5, 2019
- Microsoft Kicks Off Enterprise-ready Crypto Token Platform On Azure – Predicts Tokenization Is A Pillar Of The Coming Revolution In Multi-Party Applications That Blockchain Technology Ushered In - November 5, 2019
- Polish-British Blockchain Company Billon to Digitise Euro in Deal with Raiffeisen Bank International - November 5, 2019
- 500.com Limited Releases Intel on Blockchain Technology for China’s Lottery Industry - November 4, 2019
- Oxfam, Etherisc, and Aon Find Success with First Blockchain-Based Agricultural Insurance Policies for Smallholder Farmers in Sri Lanka - November 4, 2019