Steemit, the popular social media platform where users get paid to post and vote online, today announced plans to add heavily requested new features to its site, including private messaging, notifications, and follow buttons.
Steemit is fast becoming a blogger’s favorite destination, with thousands of new users signing up every week and a current registered user base of over 70,000. The addition of private messaging, notifications and follow buttons will allow even more connectivity between community members, and also attract users of sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram who are well accustomed to the day-to-day functionality of such universal features.
CEO of Steemit Ned Scott said:
“Enhancing the diversity of our application-specific Blockchain is a natural progression for Steemit. Private messaging is perfectly suited for a decentralized system and will empower users in a similar way to how direct messages empower users on Twitter. The ‘follow’ feature will enable community members to receive notifications as soon as their favorite authors post, and the notifications will work just like Facebook in that users will be alerted immediately upon a new post or upvote from their favorite contributors. These features are the pillars of current social media giants and we look forward to integrating them into Steemit over the coming weeks.”
In the meantime, other entrepreneurs are answering the call, with over 60 third-party applications based off Steem (steemtools.com) built in the last two months. Promising applications running off the Steem Blockchain include Steemy, a mobile app in development for Android and iOS, and radiosteem.com, a consensus-based online jukebox. Steemit is currently recording unprecedented levels of traffic, with over 70,000 votes and over 21,000 posts per day; as a result, the platform is already drawing comparisons to the early days of Facebook and Reddit.
“We hope to offer people much more than Reddit and Facebook,” added Scott. “By simply elevating the user experience and rewarding users for their time, Steemit has a fighting chance to compete with the largest social networks. We still have a lot of work to do and we have a lot of room to grow, but on the whole we see this system as more than a new social network, but as the bedrock for an online social economy. Developers and entrepreneurs are recognizing they can go straight to the Steem Blockchain to leverage its data, identities, posts and other content. It’s very inspiring to see so much activity on the Steem Blockchain.”
In July, Steemit implemented the first Partner Enabled Account Recovery security protocol across a decentralized network. Users can now choose an Account Recovery Partner on the Steem Blockchain who can vouch for a person’s rightful ownership of an account up to 30 days after the account’s ownership key is changed. Steem currently sits in fifth place on the most valuable list of cryptocurrencies behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- Indian Central Bankers Excludes Cryptocurrency Projects from it’s New Startup Fintech Sandbox - April 19, 2019
- Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Plans to Launch New Token Taxonomi Initiative - April 19, 2019
- Social Blockchain Project BitGive Signs Deal with Uphold - April 19, 2019
- Crypto Wars Continue – Bitcoin’s Self Proclaimed Founder Craig Wright Threatens to Sue Ethereum’s Vitalik Buterin - April 19, 2019
- Gate.io Exchange Releases IEO Startup Platform and Launches First Project with CNNS - April 18, 2019
- Telegram Cuts Deal With Wirecard to Build Blockchain Shared Payment and Banking Solutions For TON - April 17, 2019
- Token-as-a-Service (TaaS) Shuts Down – Distributes Assets to Token Owners - April 17, 2019
- eToroX Launches 8 Stablecoins on New Cryptocurrency Exchange - April 17, 2019
- Powerhouse Production Company Endemol Shine International Partners with Blockchain Startup BitMovio - April 17, 2019
- Huobi Prime’s Second EO Launch – Two Billion NEW Tokens Sold in Six Seconds - April 17, 2019
- Panxora safeguards ICO assets with crypto treasury management service - April 17, 2019
- Turing Award Winner and MIT Cryptographer, Dr. Silvio Micali, Publicly Opens TestNet at VC-backed Algorand Blockchain - April 16, 2019
- Gibraltar Stock Exchange Opens the Doors to Secondary Market for Security Tokens - April 15, 2019
- Bittreo Releases Crypto Brokerage SAAS - April 14, 2019
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) Head Says Cryptocurrency is Shaking the System – Wary Eye on Silicon Valley Data Collectors - April 14, 2019
- US Regulator SEC Issues First ‘No Action’ Letter for Unregistered ICO - April 13, 2019
- Jason Hanania: Architecture of a Technodemocracy – Author Interview - April 12, 2019
- Block.one’s FinLab EOS VC Fund Invests in Moonlighting - April 11, 2019
- Blockstack Files with SEC for Reg A+ Token Offering - April 11, 2019
- US Congress Introduces Bipartisan-Supported Token Taxonomy Act - April 10, 2019