Steemit, the popular social media platform where users get paid to post and vote online, today announced plans to add heavily requested new features to its site, including private messaging, notifications, and follow buttons.
Steemit is fast becoming a blogger’s favorite destination, with thousands of new users signing up every week and a current registered user base of over 70,000. The addition of private messaging, notifications and follow buttons will allow even more connectivity between community members, and also attract users of sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram who are well accustomed to the day-to-day functionality of such universal features.
CEO of Steemit Ned Scott said:
“Enhancing the diversity of our application-specific Blockchain is a natural progression for Steemit. Private messaging is perfectly suited for a decentralized system and will empower users in a similar way to how direct messages empower users on Twitter. The ‘follow’ feature will enable community members to receive notifications as soon as their favorite authors post, and the notifications will work just like Facebook in that users will be alerted immediately upon a new post or upvote from their favorite contributors. These features are the pillars of current social media giants and we look forward to integrating them into Steemit over the coming weeks.”
In the meantime, other entrepreneurs are answering the call, with over 60 third-party applications based off Steem (steemtools.com) built in the last two months. Promising applications running off the Steem Blockchain include Steemy, a mobile app in development for Android and iOS, and radiosteem.com, a consensus-based online jukebox. Steemit is currently recording unprecedented levels of traffic, with over 70,000 votes and over 21,000 posts per day; as a result, the platform is already drawing comparisons to the early days of Facebook and Reddit.
“We hope to offer people much more than Reddit and Facebook,” added Scott. “By simply elevating the user experience and rewarding users for their time, Steemit has a fighting chance to compete with the largest social networks. We still have a lot of work to do and we have a lot of room to grow, but on the whole we see this system as more than a new social network, but as the bedrock for an online social economy. Developers and entrepreneurs are recognizing they can go straight to the Steem Blockchain to leverage its data, identities, posts and other content. It’s very inspiring to see so much activity on the Steem Blockchain.”
In July, Steemit implemented the first Partner Enabled Account Recovery security protocol across a decentralized network. Users can now choose an Account Recovery Partner on the Steem Blockchain who can vouch for a person’s rightful ownership of an account up to 30 days after the account’s ownership key is changed. Steem currently sits in fifth place on the most valuable list of cryptocurrencies behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018
- Enjin Smart Wallet Update Will Allow Users To Melt & Send ERC-1155 Tokens - October 26, 2018
- Crypto-Friendly Gallery HOFA Launches in Los Angeles With Qvantum Exhibition - October 26, 2018
- Blockchain Company WePower Announces Plans to Tokenize Estonian Power Grid - October 25, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures, Buys into Crypto Social Network, Minds - October 24, 2018
- Xfinite to release new Blockchain content platform - October 24, 2018
- Omnitude set to transform enterprise business with the move of its ECOM token to Stellar and the introduction of micropayments to users - October 24, 2018
- Nem, Proximax, And Pundi X Join Growing List Of Sportsfix Sponsor Partners - October 23, 2018
- NEM Foundation’s Founder Lon Wong Becomes SportsFix Chief Technology Advisor - October 10, 2018
- Medici Ventures Backs Wine Blockchain Project VinX - October 4, 2018
- Lithuanian Members of European Parliament Say Blockchain is Here to Stay – Hands Off Regulation! - October 4, 2018
- New Open Source Blockchain Project To Challenge Experian And Equifax - October 2, 2018
- IOHK Launches Cardano Rust Project - October 2, 2018
- Hyperledger and Enterprise Ethereum Alliance Cut Deal to Advance the Global Blockchain Business Ecosystem - October 2, 2018
- Binance Labs Supports Decentralized Global Content Ecosystem Contentos - October 2, 2018
- Nexus Partners with Jeff Garzik’s SpaceChain – Planning Spacenet - September 27, 2018