Steemit, the popular social media platform where users get paid to post and vote online, today announced plans to add heavily requested new features to its site, including private messaging, notifications, and follow buttons.
Steemit is fast becoming a blogger’s favorite destination, with thousands of new users signing up every week and a current registered user base of over 70,000. The addition of private messaging, notifications and follow buttons will allow even more connectivity between community members, and also attract users of sites like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram who are well accustomed to the day-to-day functionality of such universal features.
CEO of Steemit Ned Scott said:
“Enhancing the diversity of our application-specific Blockchain is a natural progression for Steemit. Private messaging is perfectly suited for a decentralized system and will empower users in a similar way to how direct messages empower users on Twitter. The ‘follow’ feature will enable community members to receive notifications as soon as their favorite authors post, and the notifications will work just like Facebook in that users will be alerted immediately upon a new post or upvote from their favorite contributors. These features are the pillars of current social media giants and we look forward to integrating them into Steemit over the coming weeks.”
In the meantime, other entrepreneurs are answering the call, with over 60 third-party applications based off Steem (steemtools.com) built in the last two months. Promising applications running off the Steem Blockchain include Steemy, a mobile app in development for Android and iOS, and radiosteem.com, a consensus-based online jukebox. Steemit is currently recording unprecedented levels of traffic, with over 70,000 votes and over 21,000 posts per day; as a result, the platform is already drawing comparisons to the early days of Facebook and Reddit.
“We hope to offer people much more than Reddit and Facebook,” added Scott. “By simply elevating the user experience and rewarding users for their time, Steemit has a fighting chance to compete with the largest social networks. We still have a lot of work to do and we have a lot of room to grow, but on the whole we see this system as more than a new social network, but as the bedrock for an online social economy. Developers and entrepreneurs are recognizing they can go straight to the Steem Blockchain to leverage its data, identities, posts and other content. It’s very inspiring to see so much activity on the Steem Blockchain.”
In July, Steemit implemented the first Partner Enabled Account Recovery security protocol across a decentralized network. Users can now choose an Account Recovery Partner on the Steem Blockchain who can vouch for a person’s rightful ownership of an account up to 30 days after the account’s ownership key is changed. Steem currently sits in fifth place on the most valuable list of cryptocurrencies behind Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple and Litecoin.
To sign up or learn more about Steemit, visit Steemit.com
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019