Chinese electric car manufacturer Wanxiang has unveiled that it will invest $30 billion into the project over the next seven years to drive its smart cities initiative using Blockchain technology. The business revealed its plans at the recent Global Blockchain Summit in China.
Wanxiang said they also want to support Blockchain entrepreneurs pursuing work that aligns with its objectives.
Feng Xiao, the executive director and vice chairman of Wanxiang, told CoinDesk:
“We can’t tackle all the use cases that might arise from the smart city project. That’s why we’re opening it up to use cases from all over the world.”
The purpose of the smart cities initiative is to promote innovative technologies, including smart cars. Wanxiang will purchase 83 million square feet of land in Hangzhou for the project where it is headquartered. It will bring its own Blockchain resources—such as the $500,000 of ether, the native cryptocurrency of the public ethereum Blockchain, and the $50M Blockchain-focused venture fund Fenbushi Capital—to the table.
This recent move is one of several Blockchain deals that has segued Wanxiang into a global leader in the adoption of Blockchain technology. The company has said that it is in talks with Microsoft and IBM on how they can support the initiative.
Wanxiang also announced details about using Blockchain in their product lines at the summit. The company plans to use Blockchain technology to cut costs, enforce property rights, and manage IoT and inter-device interactions. Wanxiang also intends to register and track batteries through their life cycles on a Blockchain to monitor when they need to be returned; in this way they hope to reduce the purchase cost of their cars.
Feng also told CoinDesk that the company may someday be able to improve its cash flow and develop new financial products using Blockchain.
“There could be a way for us to securitize the battery and make it into some sort of financial product, to sell it out to financial institutions in order to get more cash flow,” he added, concluding that the company had no doubt that Blockchain would at least do what they need it to do for the initiative and perhaps much more. “Even if you fail, the cost is minimal.”
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019