Fundchain, the Luxembourg-based Blockchain consortium initiated during the summer of 2016, is now ready to unveil its first outcomes following 6 months of collaborative work and a hackathon to push the project over the line to a PoC.
After several workshop sessions, the group decided to initially focus its research on the fund distribution value chain. The aim was to introduce an easy to replicate Proof-of-Concept to the fund ecosystem.
With the support of the University of Luxembourg, almost 80 people from every participating organization, came together to finalize the prototype during a 2-day hackathon. The event mixed fund industry professionals with business and technical backgrounds with Blockchain academic researchers and Blockchain specialists from Scorechain. For 2 days, business and technical teams worked alongside to finalize the ready-to-use PoC.
For Laurent Kratz, Scorechain co-founder:
“It’s exciting to see how this initiative built up a real synergy between major financial institutions, not only with Scorechain but also between all of them. What is also promising, is that the group is always improving the PoC with the use of our collaborative platform.”
The fully decentralized Smart TA finally unveiled internally, is running on an Ethereum private Blockchain.
The collaborative and inclusive approach to the Hackathon, led to the presentation of the Smart TA prototype.
Overcoming the main challenge of replicating the fund distribution value chain specifications through a Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) infrastructure, the Smart TA is a Blockchain-based platform enabling digital share transactions. Different roles were assigned to connect and act within the private Blockchain.
An investor has access to Fundstore, while an asset manager, or fund administrator can interact with the subscription process.
The Smart TA prototype shows how the DLT can facilitate and automate procedures while reducing operational inefficiencies and errors. Interactions between intermediaries are decentralized, faster, and more transparent.
Ethereum (the selected technology), has been turned into a private Blockchain. In this peer-to-peer environment, each user connects via their unique Blockchain node for real-time synchronization between all members.
This approach proves the technology is operational and ready to target the fund industry’s needs. Fundchain’s efforts may be considered as a major step forward for the Luxembourg investment fund ecosystem, especially now that market leaders agree that DLT is an opportunity to confirm the country’s leading position in Europe.
The next step will be to assess the regulatory challenges of the Smart TA business model. Fundchain intends on presenting the Smart TA over the coming weeks to the regulator.
The Fundchain initiative was launched in the summer with 10 key market players of the fund industry — BIL, BNP Paribas Securities Services, CACEIS, European Fund Administration (EFA), HSBC, ING Luxembourg, Pictet, RBC Investor & Treasury Services, Société Générale Bank & Trust, and Professional Services firm PwC Luxembourg —, the University of Luxembourg (SnT) and the Blockchain startup Scorechain.
The aim is to develop solutions using Distributed Ledger Technology and smart-contracts to act as innovation pioneers for the fund distribution value chain in Luxembourg.
- Token Taxonomy Workshop – - January 24, 2020
- Deloitte Bullish on Libra Project in New Report - January 22, 2020
- Busted: SEC Charges Blockchain Marketplace Founder Sergii “Sergey” Grybniak for Fraudulent ICO 2017 - January 22, 2020
- DC Blockchain Advocacy Group US Chamber of Digital Commerce Supports Telegram Vs. SEC Case - January 22, 2020
- BIS Forms New Central Bank Think Tank to Assess National Cryptocurrencies - January 22, 2020
- Bank of England Pondering National Cryptocurrency - January 22, 2020
- Infamous Online Gaming Community Clanbase to Relaunch With Blockchain Technology in 2021 - January 21, 2020
- Chainalysis: 2019 Saw More Cryptocurrency Hacks – Total Amount Stolen From Exchanges Dropped To $283 Million - January 21, 2020
- J. Christopher Giancarlo, former Chairman of the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission - January 21, 2020
- Ethereum Classic Labs Donates $1 Million to UNICEF Innovation Ventures - January 20, 2020
- Busted: SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey Files Lawsuits Against Fraudulent ICO that raised $30 million - January 17, 2020
- Kenya Issues Second ICO Warning After Investors Lose €24+ Million Euro - January 17, 2020
- Neufund Wraps Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding Series B with Greyp Bikes raising €1.4m EUR - January 17, 2020
- U.S. Lawmakers Pondering “Crypto-Currency Act of 2020” - January 17, 2020
- New Blockchain-based Visa Token Service Set To Launch in 2020 – Set to Reach $1 Trillion - January 17, 2020
- Germany’s New Shore Invest Launches STO Ship Financing Platform – Tokenised Fractional Ownership - January 16, 2020
- Open Source Luminary Marc Fleury Enters Crypto Arena with Announcement of New Crypto Asset Class and Continuous Token Offering Sale - January 16, 2020
- UN Warns Public Not To Attend North Korea Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference 2020 - January 16, 2020
- Fiat-to-Crypto Gateway Solution, Banxa, Raises $2 Million USD Series A Round Led By NGC Ventures - January 15, 2020
- United Africa Blockchain Association Plans to Fire Up Blockchain Adoption - January 14, 2020