UK-based Blockchain startup Tramonex has been granted a restricted registration as a Small Electronic Money Institution by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) – and this is the first time this kind of financial services provider has been granted this kind of permission to issue electronic money.
In 2011, the FCA released the Electronic Money Regulations to provide certain financial service providers and institutions the ability to operate as a money transmission firm and payment facilitator. To be approved by the FCA and obtain an EMI authorization, a company must be fully compliant with local regulations, security requirements and reporting and notification requirements.
In order to remain as an EMI-authorized company within the UK, a startup needs to allocate a significant amount of resources and capital to ensure none of its operations are in conflict with the regulations imposed by the FCA.
Once an EMI authorization is granted, a startup can begin to issue, distribute and redeem e-money. That means a Blockchain startup like Tramonex can issue a legal Blockchain-based currency, facilitate payments, launch applications or service on top of its infrastructure.
Marc Avedissian, co-founder of Tramonex Labs, commented:
“Automation of payments using the blockchain and smart contracts will reduce costs of transactions, allowing for the adaptation of this solution across many different fields such as insurance, real estate and government, to name only a few. Previously the missing link was lack of regulation – Tramonex Labs is very proud to provide a regulated environment where digital payments can be executed in a secure and transparent way.”
Tramonex sees this opportunity as the first step in revolutionising payments on the blockchain. They say that with the reduction in cost and execution via smart contracts will come the elimination of the middlemen. One of the most significant outcomes will be ‘banking the unbanked’: enabling international payments for those who do not enjoy access to the traditional banking and financial infrastructure.
- European Commission Releases New Support Paper on Blockchain – Further Funding for Startups Encouraged - September 19, 2019
- Bitpay Opens Up Doors For Ethereum Payments - September 16, 2019
- Neufund Launches Blockchain-Driven Equity Token Sale for Retail Investors Out of Lichtenstein - September 16, 2019
- London Blockchain Accelerator Academy Looking for Partners - September 13, 2019
- Blockchain Startup Blockstack Raises a Whopping $23 Million In SEC-Qualified Reg A+ Token Offering - September 12, 2019
- France Vows to Block Facebook Libra Cryptocurrency in Europe - September 12, 2019
- R3 and Mastercard Team Up Mastercard to Build Overseas Payments System Build on Blockchain - September 12, 2019
- ConsenSys Officially Joins Hyperledger Project – Adding Public Blockchain Capability to Hyperledger - September 11, 2019
- Telegram Open Network Labs Releases Development Suite for TON Blockchain - September 11, 2019
- Whale Alert: USD One Billion+ BTC Was Transferred in One Transaction Last Week - September 11, 2019
- New Professional API Trading Program AlgoX Prime API Launched by eToroX - September 11, 2019
- Bitcoin.com’s Roger Ver Steps in to Operate Node on Cryptographer David Chaum’s New Elixxer Project - September 11, 2019
- Seychelles Heats Up With a First for a National Stock Exchange – MERJ Exchange Goes Live with Tokenized IPO - September 10, 2019
- Computing Legend Steve Wozniak To Launch Blockchain Energy Project – EFFORCE - September 10, 2019
- Hollywood Star Wesley Snipes To Tokenize $25 Million USD Movie Fund with Liechtenstein Blockchain Innovator LCX - September 9, 2019
- Netki Extends TransactID Solution For FATF “Travel Rule” Compliance - September 9, 2019
- Market Demand For Sophisticated Crypto Trading Methods Drives Singapore’s Broctagon Fintech Group To New Heights – Pushing Them Past $5 million - September 5, 2019
- London-based Custodian For Digital Assets, Copper, Reach $500m In Transactions In Just Three Months - September 5, 2019
- UN Meeting: Gibraltar Lawyers Call For A Global Regulatory Framework For Cryptocurrencies - September 4, 2019
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Investor Network Partners with Bitcoin Bay to Expand Blockchain Investment Ecosystem in Toronto, Canada - September 3, 2019