iExec, the world’s first distributed cloud platform, reached its crowdfund target of $12 million within three hours on Wednesday making it the 5th largest Initial Coin Offering (ICO) in history. More than 1200 individuals contributed the equivalent of 10,000 BTC in return for RLC tokens. RLC tokens (‘Runs on Lots of Computers’) are the sole means of paying for services on the iExec platform, granting holders payment and access rights to the first distributed cloud network.
Headquartered in Lyon, France, the iExec team will now start work on building a distributed computing network that will allow anyone anywhere in the world to provision computing resources through the cloud. Current cloud services are struggling to meet the demand for resource intensive business practices and their centralised design creates a bottleneck for data. iExec proposes a completely new model that pools computing resources from participants on the network making them available to everyone.
The distributed design of iExec is suited to an emerging class merging distributed business models that includes blockchain-based enterprise, Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI). iExec will provide distributed applications running on the blockchain with scalable, secure and easy access to the services, the data-sets and the computing resources they need. It’s technology relies on Ethereum smart contracts to manage a virtual Cloud infrastructure and enable high-performance computing services on demand.
‘At iExec, we can now organize decentralized infrastructures and market places, where everyone will be able to rent its computing resources, where the innovative SMEs which design Big Data and HPC applications will be able to sell them online immediately with the needed resources to run them, and where highly valued data-sets will be rentable with a fine-grain business model’ Gilles Fedak, CEO, iExec
The team is lead by CEO Dr. Gilles Fedak and Chief Scientist Dr. Haiwu He, two well respected researchers in distributed and cloud computing. Together they have co-authored over 120 papers in their respective specialisms. They will now lead the team on a four year plan with the first milestone scheduled for release at Devcon 3 in October 2017, a highly anticipated mainnet with off-chain computing for DApps.
For more information about iExec visit http://iex.ec
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019