Mozilla co-founder Brendan Eich’s project Brave, a Blockchain-based web browser ripped through their initial coin offering (ICO) today that has redefined the concept of speed in terms of token sales.
The ERC-20 compliant coin called the Basic Attention Token (BAT) sucked in $35 million in less than a few blocks… the ICO started funding at block 3798640 and accepted its last deposit at 3798642. They raised $36 million and it was all over in under 30 seconds.
Allegedly only 184 were able to buy in with a few people dropping in significant ETH to hit the cap within seconds. With less than 200 wallets controlling the supply, including a small number whales who purchased over 5 percent of the total supply each according to reports at Reddit.
Remember that while events like these may be exciting (and highly profitable for the 192 investors that got in), it brings increased regulatory pressure.
Example: A U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission OFFICIAL SAID ON TUESDAY, “If you want this industry to flourish, protection of investors should be at the forefront … At the SEC, we like to facilitate capital-raising, but at the same time, we want to ensure a fair market”
Objectively, speaking this was the furthest thing from a fair and balanced market. Yes, everyone had the opportunity to attempt investing at the same time, but people with large amounts of ETH (think: 3,000+) purchasing significant percentages of the supply and selling out one of the largest crowdfunding campaigns in history within seconds is in no way balanced.
Building community is a key part of successful post-ICO projects and with so few buyers this could actually be problematic rather than beneficial, if they want people to use the browser.
Commenters at Bitcoin talk were complaining about a influx of Bitcoin whales accusing that four people bought 40 percent of the supply and they started to sell off immediatly as it become tradeable on the exchanges for 10x ICO price.
It appears that some shelled out thousands of dollars in transaction fees to cut the line, according to Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin on Twitter:
https://t.co/oiFGyh1iju This is a $2220 tx fee, used to cut in line in BAT ICO. “Ethereum avg txfee $1” statistics include stuff like this.
— Vitalik Buterin (@VitalikButerin) May 31, 2017
Well it’s not going to get easier for the ‘small guy’ to get a piece of the action as it did 24 hours ago. And what lies in the future for ICOs when the Whales and the incoming institutional investors come in with deep pockets and simply cut the cue remains to be seen. There’s some irony in cryptoanarchists (who make up a fair size of the cryptocommunity) complaining about lack of rules when it comes down to letting the free markets freely enriching the rich.
- US FDA Looks to Blockchain Technology to Secure Drug Supply Chain - February 15, 2019
- Nexo Lending to Offer Crypto-Backed Loans with Blockport Exchange - February 12, 2019
- Chainalysis Secures $30M Investment Led by Accel to Pave Way for Next Wave of Cryptocurrency Growth - February 12, 2019
- EUIPO Launches Forum on Using Blockchain for Counterfeiting - February 12, 2019
- Singapore’s NodeSwap Teams up with NY’s NODE40 - February 12, 2019
- New Release: Oracle Adds New Features to their Enterprise Blockchain - February 12, 2019
- Fetch.AI joins the IoT Alliance With Bosch, Cisco and Others to Accelerate IoT - February 7, 2019
- Dr. Bernard Lietaer – Monetary Visionary, Futurist, Author, RIP - February 5, 2019
- Fetch.AI To Launch Token Sale on Binance Launchpad to Build Intelligent Machine-to-Machine Economy - February 1, 2019
- Philippines Introduces New Rules for ICOs, STOs and Cryptocurrencies - January 31, 2019
- Evernym Cuts Deal with Red Cross and other Nonprofits Who Will Work with their Self-Sovereign Digital ID Solution - January 30, 2019
- Evident Proof Receives ‘Highly Commended’ Listing at the UK Innovation and Entrepreneurship Award Category at the 2018 UK IT Industry Awards - January 30, 2019
- Plato Technologies and Blackmoon Team Up to Expedite Launching of New ‘On-the-fly’ ETx’s - January 30, 2019
- Amnis Ventures backs CloseCross Raises $3 Million USD to Transform Financial Derivatives Market - January 30, 2019
- Distilled Identity and Emerge Announce Technology Partnership to Solve Global Identity Crisis for Refugees - January 22, 2019
- Satellite Project SpaceChain Concludes the First Qtum Blockchain Transaction in Space - January 22, 2019
- AAX Digital Asset Exchange to be Powered by London Stock Exchange Group Technology - January 22, 2019
- Amsterdam’s Blockport Launches Full Featured Trading Platform - January 22, 2019
- Swarm Offers Free Issuance of Security Tokens - January 21, 2019
- London’s Blockchain Conference; Blockchain Expo Global Exhibition announces expert speakers - January 21, 2019