Zepplin Solutions has just announced they are working on zeppelinOS – an open-source, distributed platform of tools and services on top of the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM) to develop and manage smart contract applications securely.
What does an EVM operating system look like? The Zepplein team thought about three main components, but other functions may arise in the future, as the industry evolves:
- zeppelinOS Kernel: an upgradeable and community-governed core of functionality provided by an on-chain smart contract library that developers can call for standard and common functions in their applications. The initial version of this is the current OpenZeppelin framework, migrated to library form. Shared code for smart contract applications to use, with curated opt-in security updates based on the proxy library pattern.
- zeppelinOS Scheduler: Every transaction on the Ethereum network is initiated and paid by a user. This places a limitation on the kinds of things a smart contract can do and sometimes creates unfair situations. For example, when executing a transaction via a standard multisig contract, the last owner to confirm it will trigger the actual call and pay for its gas costs. Or, if a crowdsale has some finalization logic when the cap is reached, the last token buyer will pay the gas cost of executing that. The zeppelinOS Scheduler will enable async execution on the EVM where a contract can request asynchronous execution of a function and anyone can pay the gas costs and be rewarded for it.
- zeppelinOS Marketplace: To catalyze exponential growth among decentralized applications, smart contracts must be able to interact with each other in a standard way. Imagine if Augur could talk to 0x to enable prediction market forecasting in any currency, all done using an Aragon company. This kind of interoperability would accelerate progress across the space, helping developers take the ecosystem mainstream, faster. Our proposed solution is to build a marketplace of inter-contract services natively inside the OS.
- zeppelinOS off-chain tools: As an addition to the on-chain services offered by zeppelinOS, the platform will provide a set of off-chain tools aimed at simplifying the development, debugging, testing, deployment, and monitoring of decentralized applications.
At Zeppelin Solutions, all of our efforts are focused on solving the technical challenges of smart contract application development. We’ve worked with dozens of projects on security audits, smart contract upgradability, contributed to improve and test development tools, and enabled interoperability through our OpenZeppelin standards and security patterns. We are developers ourselves. We believe we know how to make the smart contract development process better, easier and more robust.
We invite you to help us make this happen.
- Archax Opts for R3’s Corda for Digital Exchange DLT Infrastructure - October 18, 2019
- Dubai Property Giant Emaar to Launch Blockchain-Based Rewards and Loyalty Ecosystem - October 17, 2019
- World’s Largest Cryptocurrency-Fueled Darknet Child Pornography Website Hammered – 300+Busted - October 17, 2019
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019