DOVU, a Blockchain-powered market for transport data, has taken steps to ensure its token sale will be conducted to the highest standards – including crime risk management measures – collaborating with global accountancy firm KPMG on its company and financial structure.
Monday’s announcement that Chinese authorities are banning fundraising through Blockchain crowd sales for Chinese operators for Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs) sent shockwaves through the crypto markets. Since the beginning of 2017, well over $1 billion, mainly in bitcoin and ether, has flowed into such token sales. Blockchain has established itself as a powerful tool for crowdfunding new tech platforms, but still the growing token sale industry also has brought with it the risk of scams, hacks, pump-and-dump schemes, and a general lack of corporate governance and accountability.
DOVU: raising standards
Now DOVU, which is backed by Jaguar Land Rover’s innovation arm InMotion Ventures, is establishing a new benchmark. DOVU aims to provide the mobility industry with large and high-quality data sets, sourced from a wide range of stakeholders including grassroots users. Businesses will pay for access to this data using Ethereum-based DOV tokens, which are offered through a crowd sale on 3 October.
The DOVU team has spent the last 12 months ensuring that they are structured correctly for a properly managed token integration, working with Blockchain legal experts Ramparts to create a distinct corporate entity.
‘We are pleased to welcome KPMG, one of the top 4 global accountancy firms, as our advisors, working with us on our company and financial structure,’ said Irfon Watkins, Founder and CEO of DOVU.
DOVU’s most recent adviser is Andrew Hodgson, Senior Partner at KPMG Corporate Finance. Hodgson joins a highly professional team of transport industry and Blockchain experts. The project’s token sale includes wallet risk profiling and high value customer due diligence processes (using a risk-based approach) to better deal with the risk of crime. With the industry under scrutiny, many will find DOVU’s token sale precautions reassuring.
The news that China’s regulators will prevent Chinese entrepreneurs from raising funds via token sales is likely to bring further focus on this sector in other jurisdictions. Whilst there is some speculation that this is strongly related to concerns about capital flight by Chinese residents, whatever the reasons for the new prohibition in China, it highlights the need for organisations in this sector to carefully structure their sales, consider the risks of crime and the potential applicability of crowdfunding and securities law restrictions.
- Government Committee Wants Total Ban on Cryptocurrencies in India - July 23, 2019
- Judge Refuses to Dismiss Historic $224 Million SIM Swap Lawsuit by Crypto Luminary Michael Terpin Against Telco Giant AT&T Mobility - July 23, 2019
- RENBDO: First ICO Approved by European Commission – 70 Percent Funding From EU - July 22, 2019
- Chinese Government Blockchain Standardized Certification Received by Lenovo, Alipay, and Aelf - July 22, 2019
- KPMG Teams Up With Tomia, Microsoft And R3 To Create A Near Real-time Settlement Network For Telecom Companies - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based ‘Lunar Registry’ Launched - July 22, 2019
- Daimler launches hardware Car Wallet with RIDDLE&CODE - July 22, 2019
- Ugandan President to Explore use of Blockchain to Tackle Counterfeit Drugs - July 22, 2019
- Blockchain-Based Travala.com Teams Up with Dash For Hotel Booking Payments - July 18, 2019
- SEC And FINRA Approves First Reg A+ Token Offerings - July 18, 2019
- Tokinex Tolken Sale Sells out in 35 Seconds - July 18, 2019
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019