The ICON Foundation announced today that the widely anticipated ICX token sale will open on October 20, with a pre-sale starting on September 18.
ICON claims they are the first Blockchain platform in the world that connects independent Blockchains with different governances, allowing them to transact freely, but securely, in real time.
Blockchain for the Real World
From its inception two years ago, ICON has focused on real world applicability. Until now, individual Blockchain communities have been isolated from one another, with no easy way to pass information among them. The interoperability that ICON provides paves over one of the biggest obstacles to Blockchain’s widespread use.
“For Blockchain technology to reach its potential, it must be built to meet the demands of enterprises and institutions. ICON could be the solution,” said Don Tapscott, a leading author and thinker on Blockchain, who has signed on as an advisor. “It has already emerged as the leader in Korea, widely adopted by banks, universities, and hospitals, and is positioned to be a global force in this fast-emerging industry.”
Underlying Technology Thoroughly Proven
ICON Foundation’s aim to hyperconnect the world goes beyond the theoretical. More than 25 financial securities companies, three major universities, six university hospitals and three health insurance companies have formed industry consortiums that are already using the Blockchain engine powering ICX, called theloop, to automate and smooth transactions. ICON is also partnered with Woori Bank, one of the largest banks in Korea.
To understand how ICON works, imagine a patient who goes to a hospital for treatment. Both his hospital and his insurance company are part of the ICON network. The hospital can securely pass relevant information about the patient’s medical condition and treatment to the insurance company. In turn, the insurance company can make the payment directly using ICX. The hospital can use the ICX it receives to make other payments within the ICON network, or convert it to another currency such as Ethereum.
The ICX (“ICON Exchange”) token sale will begin on October 20 and will be used to allocate 400,230,000 ICX, or 50% of the total token supply. The starting price will be set at 2500 ICX per 1 ETH, and Ethereum is the only currency that will be accepted during the token sale.
Prior to the start of the official token sale, eligible individuals can participate in a pre-sale with a lower minimum transaction amount. (Generally, United States and Singaporean nationals and residents cannot participate. All transactions must be made using a personal Ethereum wallet with a private key.) The pre-sale will be tiered with the following transaction caps. All times are UTC+9.
- Sept. 18 (13:00) – 20 (23:59): ETH 30 or less
- Sept. 22 (13:00) – 24 (23:59): ETH 100 or less
- Sept. 26 (13:00) – Oct. 12 (23:59): ETH 1000 or less
Once the official token sale begins on October 20, the minimum transaction amount will be ETH 0.1, with no maximum. The pre-sale may end early if the hard-cap of ETH 150,000 is reached. Participants in both the pre-sale and the token sale will immediately receive ERC20 tokens, guaranteeing their right to ICX tokens once they are available.
More information about ICON Foundation and ICX, including a detailed white paper explaining the underlying technologies and the potential uses, is available at https://icon.foundation/en/.
The ICON Republic is developed by the ICON Foundation, which is registered in Switzerland and operates primarily out of Korea. ICON team members and foundation council members include a number of leading thinkers and technologists in Blockchain and cryptocurrency, as well as people with more traditional finance backgrounds. Council members include EJ Eee (CEO of theloop), JH Kim (CEO of theloop), Jay Kim (CFO of theloop), Hoon Lee (CSO of theloop) and Min Kim (CBDO of theloop).
More than 150 people have contributed to making ICON a reality. In addition to the ICON Foundation council, this also includes members of the teams at theloop, who provide the underlying loopchain technology, and at DAVinCI, a leading AI company whose machine learning algorithms will bolster ICON’s governance.
- Smartlands to Digitise Own Equity; Unveils Plans For Security Token Offering in the US - December 9, 2019
- ShareRing Partners with Thailand’s new E-Visa System: Mainstream Blockchain Adoption - December 9, 2019
- ELEV8CON adds BBVA, Bumble Bee Foods, State Street, Ticketmaster to Lineup for Enterprise Blockchain and Digital Asset Conference - December 9, 2019
- Mintdice – Playing it Fair with Blockchain - December 9, 2019
- Juventus Become The First Football Club In The World To Be Tokenized - December 3, 2019
- London’s Travala.com Teams Up With Amsterdam’s Booking.com In Massive Crypto Travel Deal - November 28, 2019
- High-Powered Group of Legal Experts Determine Cryptoassets and Smart Contracts Legal Under UK Law - November 21, 2019
- Hyperledger Adds Eight New Members – Rolls out Updates - November 21, 2019
- Failed ICO, Token Sale Project SNIPs Acquired by Sonos for $37.5 Million - November 21, 2019
- Algorand Launches Protocol Upgrade, Setting the Stage for the Next Wave of Distributed App Development - November 21, 2019
- ArcBlock Partners with Ride-Sharing Service GoFun to Develop Services and DApps on Blockchain - November 20, 2019
- Hacktivist Phineas Fisher Cracks Cayman National Bank and Trust – Offers $100,000 Bitcoin/Monero Bounty To Other to Hack Banks, Big Companies - November 20, 2019
- Graph Blockchain to Acquire Shroom Street – Cracking Psychedelics Market - November 20, 2019
- OpEd: Burned By Bitwala – Visa Card Money Gone When Wavecrest Wound Down - November 19, 2019
- Chinese Military Eyes Blockchain Technology for Rewards Programme – Boosting Training and Gamifying System - November 18, 2019
- FinCEN Boss: American Regulators to Strictly Enforce AML in Crypto Industry - November 18, 2019
- Visa’s Rolls Out New Blockchain LucidiTEE – Tackles Concerns related to misuse of sensitive user data, when shared with third-parties. - November 18, 2019
- Utrust Joins Forces with Alternative Airlines for Flight Bookings with Crypto - November 13, 2019
- Dark Web Drug Dealer Pleads Guilty To Using Cryptocurrency to Launder More Than $19 Million - November 13, 2019
- Dutch Police Bust CEO of Blockchain Game Firm, Komodore64 – €78 million Gone? - November 13, 2019