BlueCoin, a Blockchain platform with a native cryptocurrency first introduced in 2014, has overhauled its codebase. The ‘BlueCoin 2.0’ client, based on the Bitcoin Core 0.13.0 codebase, includes several important changes, such as the activation of Segregated Witness and the implementation of hybrid Proof-of-Work/Proof-of-Stake-V
As one of the first cryptocurrencies to combine Proof-of-Stake and Proof-of-Work, BlueCoin has bore witness to the torrid pace of change in the Blockchain industry. The open-source Blockchain project believes that, by basing its Blockchain on the Bitcoin Core codebase, it benefits from more than two years of cryptocurrency advancement.
“Instead of remaking all those features on top of our old codebase, we are going to incorporate the breakthroughs we have seen in Blockchain technology over the past several years, including multisignature, block pruning, headers and more,” says BlueCoin core developer Brian Santos. “We have built out BlueCoin 2.0 on a cleaner source code.”
BlueCoin 2.0 will incorporate several key features, including bluetooth transactions, cold staking and, eventually, Litecoin merge mining.
Cold staking refers to the ability to keep coins offline while still earning interest. In Proof-of-Stake systems generally, user wallets must be online for users to earn interest, which entails computers running 24-7. Not so in BlueCoin 2.0
“We want eventually for one half of the network to earn interest for their support of the ecosystem through cold staking; that is, even when their wallet is not online,” explains Santos.
Bluetooth transactions make it easy for friends to send money, even in places with limited Internet connectivity.
“The BlueCoin payment server establishes bluetooth connections between phones, and the receiver sends a signed payment request to the sender,” elucidates Santos. “The sender actually verifies, displays a confirmation and transmits the payment through a Bluetooth socket. The payment is then accepted by the server and payment completed.”
An Independent Blockchain
“The easiest thing to do would have been an ERC20 token on Ethereum and hype it up, and do some marketing,” says Santos. “BlueCoin might have already been at a higher price range by now, but we didn’t do that because we wanted to keep our uniqueness and brand, and keep our network independent. Going onto Ethereum would have forced us to buy gas for transactions. It would have been easy to port balances to ERC20. Instead, we are forking over to an entirely new code base, and transferring over all the balances from the old chain. By doing this, we then preserve our network.”
Get Started Today
Visit the BlueCoin website (http://BlueCoin.io/) today and read their white paper (http://BlueCoin.io/BlueCoin%2
- 18 Organisations Launch The Convergence Alliance To Enable A New Open Data Economy Built On The Decentralized Web - July 9, 2019
- Bittrex Acquires Tradedash - July 3, 2019
- Korea’s Cube Systems Rolls Out New Blockchain eCommerce Platform - July 3, 2019
- Clinlogix Joins ALTEN Calsoft in Launching Blockchain for Clinical Trials - July 3, 2019
- Binance Charity forms alliance with 46 companies to unveil a stablecoin for the alleviation of period poverty - July 3, 2019
- Nestlé Breaks from IBM Food Trust Blockchain Group for New Milk Supply Chain Trial - July 3, 2019
- Tokeny Solutions Digital Asset Platform Gets €5 Million Backing from Euronext - July 3, 2019
- Blockchain Venture Capital Funding Reaches $822 Million in 2019 - July 1, 2019
- Toronto’s Creative Destruction Lab Joins Facebook’s Libra Association - June 19, 2019
- Australia’s Power Ledger to bring P2P Energy Trading to Austria - June 19, 2019
- Litecoin Foundation Teams Up With Bibox And Ternio On Special Edition Litecoin Debitcard - June 19, 2019
- US Legislators Call for Halt to Facebook’s Cryptocurrency Plans – And to Face Congress - June 19, 2019
- Hyperledger Welcomes Diverse Line-up of New Members for Identity Project - June 18, 2019
- Facebook Announces Calibra Digital Wallet and Libra Cryptocurrency - June 18, 2019
- MIT Professor Silvio Micali’s Algorand Project Announces Date for First Auction - June 6, 2019
- SEC sues Canadian Messaging Service Kik Selling Unregistered Securities in its $100 million ICO - June 4, 2019
- CrowdEngine Teams Up With Polymath Adding Security Token Issuance to List of Crowdfunding Services - June 3, 2019
- Bitcoin Inc. CEO Morgan Rockcoon Busted – 21 Months in Prison and Fines - June 3, 2019
- Reshaping a Nation’s Logistics Sector: Singaporean Blockchain Company PLMP Cuts Multimillion Dollar Deal With Indonesia - June 3, 2019
- Swisscom TV Opens Blockchain-based Art Gallery - June 3, 2019