The digital asset exchange OKEX Technology Company Limited (OKEx) announced last week that it is expanding its operations to Malta.
OKEx, explained that it made the decision after company executives met with Maltese government officials to understand the country’s regulatory framework.
“We look forward to working with the Malta government as it is forward-thinking and shares many of our same values, the most important of which are protection of traders and the general public, compliance with anti-money laundering and know-your-customer standards, and recognition of the innovation and importance of continued development in the blockchain ecosystem,” said OKEx CEO Chris Lee, in a statement.
Launched by OK Group – a prominent blockchain technology entity offering next-generation financial services since 2013 – OKEx has raised USD 30 million, and currently provides over 400 token & futures trading pairs for traders.
The company’s decision comes on the heels of another blockchain company, Binance, announcing that it would also be expanding to Malta.
Last month, news emerged that Binance CEO Zhao Changpeng is moving the company there, after regulatory pressure from first Beijing, then Hong Kong and now Tokyo. Changpeng reportedly announced that the company has set up an office in Malta to negotiate with local banks (Binance already has offices in Singapore, Japan and Taiwan). In addition to finding regulatory clarity, the move would also enable Binance to begin accepting deposits in fiat.
Malta has been pushing to become a destination for blockchain companies as other jurisdictions are restricting the new technology – Hong Kong ordered the shutdown of an initial coin offering last month.
Back in September, the island grabbed the headlines by launching a blockchain-based education certification system. Weeks later, a local company, Ledger Projects, launched a blockchain-based tool for notaries handling property transfers.
Malta also aims to become the first European country to introduce a legislative framework for distributed ledger technology.
- Quants, Blockchain & Bots: Gimmer Launches Automated Crypto Platform - July 13, 2018
- Swiss Stock Exchange Building Infrastructure for Digital Assets - July 12, 2018
- HBUS Launches Virtual Currency Platform Open to U.S. Users - July 10, 2018
- Archax Announces Platform that will Cater to Traditional and Crypto Investors - June 29, 2018
- Arsenal FC’s Crypto Partner, CashBet Raises $38 Million - June 22, 2018
- BOX Digital and tZERO Partner for SEC-Regulated Crypto Exchange - June 20, 2018
- Leading Argentine Credit Issuer Naranja Partners with Ripio - June 15, 2018
- Can This Korean Company Trump a President and Launch Peninsula-Wide Satellite Services? - June 14, 2018
- Quebec Moves to Restrict Crypto Mining - June 8, 2018
- Sagewise Using Hashgraph Blockchain to Underpin Smart Contract Resolution - June 7, 2018
- ALTR Releases Blockchain-Based Security Software - June 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Paxos Pivots to a $65 Million Raise - June 5, 2018
- Game Changer? Gaming Veterans Join Forces to Create Ultra Platform - June 1, 2018
- Harvard’s Experfy Launches ICO for Blockchain Education Platform - May 31, 2018
- Am-Ex Brings Blockchain to Membership Rewards - May 29, 2018
- Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets Platform Tari - May 24, 2018
- æternity Launch Blockchain Incubator and Investment Network - May 23, 2018
- CheapAir Now Accepts Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash and Dash - May 22, 2018
- Foxconn Buys Into Cambridge Blockchain with $7 Million Investment - May 21, 2018
- Exscudo Launches EON Mainet for Access to Capital Markets - May 16, 2018
- Poland Becomes First Country to Put Banking Records on Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- AllRites Asian Broadcast Content Platform Looks to Blockchain to Solve Industry Issues - May 11, 2018
- Synereo Partners with the YouTube of China to Decentralize Content Economy - May 11, 2018
- Binance, Medici Ventures Set up in Bermuda as Territory Touts Blockchain-Friendly Status - May 8, 2018
- Blocksquare Launches Real Estate Token Sale and Pilot Program - April 27, 2018
- Blockchain Sports Platform chiliZ Raises $27m - April 25, 2018
- Verv Conducts UK’s First Blockchain Energy Trade - April 20, 2018
- Wanchain Announces First Cohort of Incubating Blockchain Companies - April 20, 2018
- OKEx Announces Expansion to Blockchain-Friendly Malta - April 16, 2018
- AlphaBit Fee-Free Crypto Exchange Launches - April 13, 2018
- Office-Provider Knotel Raises $70m, Readies Blockchain Tech - April 12, 2018
- Proxeus Reaches Major Milestone in Registering Company via Blockchain Tech - April 11, 2018
- Ranieri Partners With Symbiont to Bring Blockchain to Mortgage Market - April 9, 2018
- Securitize Taps Carlos Domingo to Head Operations - April 6, 2018
- Tim Draper’s Dragon Fund Backs OPEN’s App Payment Tech - March 30, 2018
- NEM Launches Catapult Blockchain Platform Update - March 29, 2018
- Outlier Ventures-Backed Seed Vault and Bottish Partner for Blockchain Bot Platform - March 28, 2018
- Blocksquare Gets Set for Blockchain Real Estate Platform Crowdsale - March 26, 2018
- Overledger Wants to Enable DApps to Communicate Cross-Platform, Presale Launched - March 20, 2018
- QuantmRE Plans to Democratize Real Estate With Equity-Backed Tokens - March 19, 2018
- A Multi-Asset Blockchain-Based Exchange, TradeConnect ICO Launches March 27 - March 15, 2018
- Tezos Foundation Funds Obsidian Systems to Develop Security Solutions - March 14, 2018
- Ambisafe’s Orderbook Launches Token to Ensure Regulatory Compliance - March 13, 2018
- Recruitment Platform ShiftPixy Moves Into Blockchain, Sees Share Price Soar - March 9, 2018
- Arctic Blockchain Raises CAD 10m, Acquires Crypto-Miner Hyrdo66 - March 8, 2018
- BLOC Targets Game Console Crypto Mining, Acquires Coinstream - March 7, 2018
- Blockchain-Based Virtual Reality Firm, VRT World Announces March ICO - March 5, 2018
- Encrypted SIKURPhone Claims to Protect Data and Cryptocurrency - February 28, 2018
- BnkToTheFuture Closes $33m Offering, Sells Out in Less Than 15 Hours - February 27, 2018
- BetterBetting Lists on HitBTC Exchange - February 26, 2018