Origin Protocol, the San Francisco-based company focused on the decentralized sharing economy, has raised USD 28.5 million in a strategic financing round from a group of veteran Silicon Valley investors and blockchain funds.
According to an April 25 press release from Origin, investors participating in the funding round include: Foundation Capital, a venture investor in sharing economy companies like Uber, Luxe, and Peerspace; Garry Tan who was formerly a partner at Y Combinator and an initial investor in Coinbase and Instacart, as well as Alexis Ohanian, the founder and former CEO of Reddit.
Oher noteworthy investors included Gil Penchina of AngelList, Kamal Ravikant, an investor in Protocol Labs, plus Uber’s founding advisor Steve Jang, and Randall Kaplan who founded Akamai.
Origin said that a series of cryptocurrency investors also joined in the fundraising, including: BlockTower Capital; Turing Capital; Germany’s 1kx fund and China’s FBG, Danhua Capital, Continue Capital and PreAngel Fund. Other fund participants were located in South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and the Middle East.
“With a strong group of strategic investors behind us, the new capital will be used to continue to build out our world-class engineering, product and business teams as we gear up for a full platform deployment,” said Matthew Liu Co-founder of Origin Protocol in the statement. “We’re also allocating capital to support our developer partners that are building on Origin and to find creative ways to give back to the community.”
Origin added that, since launching in June 2017, it has commitments from over 45 companies to build decentralized sharing economy applications on its blockchain platform. The company said it will be releasing a public beta of its platform, which is currently at the prototype phase, in the coming months.
- Civil Wants to Make News More Ethical - July 23, 2018
- GeTS Links ASEAN and China with Cross Border Trade Blockchain - July 20, 2018
- A SVPER Secure Instant Video Dating Network - July 20, 2018
- Change Launches Mobile App for Fee-Free Crypto Trading - July 20, 2018
- IAB Tech Lab Lifts Veil on Digital Advertising Potential - July 19, 2018
- Grid7 Gets $1 Million DOE Grant for Decentralized Energy Grid - July 19, 2018
- Seth Shapiro’s Blockchain TV Platform Wants to Improve on Netflix with “Proof of Engagement” - July 19, 2018
- Korean Fund Hashed Backs Ad Platform XCHNG - July 18, 2018
- TaTaTu is Giving Away $50 Million in Tokens - July 17, 2018
- CoinFlip Adds Dash to US Crypto ATM Network - July 17, 2018
- UK Can Become Blockchain Leader by 2022: Report - July 17, 2018
- Tezos Offers Innovation Grants for Platform Projects - July 16, 2018
- Content Protection Platform Typerium Files Patents - July 16, 2018
- 4NEW is Mining Crypto with Waste Power - July 16, 2018
- Fujitsu’s Business Analysis Service Offers Speedy Crypto Project Review - July 13, 2018
- Binance Backs Malta’s Decentralized Founders Bank - July 13, 2018
- Self-Regulation is an Option for Crypto Exchanges: AEI - July 12, 2018
- Pundi X Puts POS in Hong Kong Restaurants - July 12, 2018
- TokenPay Strikes Deal With Litecoin to Buy Stake in WEG Bank - July 12, 2018
- ConsenSys Joins Blockchain Consortium to Disrupt Mineral Trading - July 11, 2018