Data from blockchain research startup Chainalysis indicates that Bitcoin whales collectively hold USD 37.5 billion of the cryptocurrency, or close to a third of the available total. The research, reported in the Financial Times (paywall) on Saturday, reveals the extent to which wealth is concentrated in the crypto market.
The data showed that, in April 2018, there were approximately 1,600 bitcoin wallets, with at least 1,000 bitcoin each.
Chainalysis data also revealed that long-term investors sold USD 30 billion to speculative investors between December 2017 and April 2018, with half the transfer happening in December alone.
New speculators (defined by Chainalysis as ‘clusters’ of accounts deduced to be connected to the same user or entity with activity within 10 percent of the current height of the blockchain) have pushed the supply of Bitcoin available for trading up 57 percent since December 2017, and prices will likely struggle to recover until speculators reduce the supply of coins available for trading (by moving funds off of exchanges and out of order books) or new users enter the market and strengthen demand.
Between April 2017 and April 2018, Bitcoin held for investment (defined as coins in account ‘clusters’ that are older than 10 percent of the current height of the blockchain) fell from 72 percent to just 50 percent, suggesting that long-term holders took advantage of December all-time-highs to take profits and transfer BTC to new entrants. Over the same time period, coins held for speculation rose from 14 percent to 35 percent.
Bitcoin’s money supply is thought to be more liquid than that of Bitcoin Cash. The former has over 90 percent held by investors, while the latter currently maintains only 50 percent investor holdings.
The velocity of Bitcoin, excluding assets held by investors, has fallen since January of 2016, with some of the biggest declines coming since the fourth quarter of 2017. Chainalysis reported that the average velocity was 26.4, on average, over 2016 and 2017, but it had fallen to just 8.5 from January to April 2018.
Velocity represents the theoretical average number of times each Bitcoin — from the total supply — is spent in a period, in this case one year.
Including Bitcoin held in investors accounts, velocity has fallen from 8.7 in 2016 to 4.4 in 2018, with about half that decline coming in the first quarter of the year. The decline has been driven by a reduction in transaction volumes, as short-term speculators bet on additional users, and capital flowing in to raise the price. If that inflow doesn’t materialize, many who joined the party in late 2107, hoping to turn around quick gains, may find themselves holding for an investor length term, or accepting deep losses when selling their positions.
- PundiX Signs UTRUST as Liquidity Clearing Provider for Crypto POS Hardware - June 22, 2018
- Blockchain on the Ballot: Indie Party Candidate Joins Texas Senate Race - June 21, 2018
- IONChain Aims to Challenge IOTA on a Chinese Battleground - June 19, 2018
- Takeaways From SEC Director’s Comments on Cryptocurrencies and Securities - June 19, 2018
- Crypto Unsuitable to Replace Fiat for Everyday Transactions: BIS Report - June 19, 2018
- Deep Dive: TRON’s Acquisition of BitTorrent - June 18, 2018
- UK Blockchain Projects Race Against the Clock to Make Brexit Doable - June 15, 2018
- SingularityNET and DeepBrain Chain Partner for AI Dev’t Platform - June 14, 2018
- Accenture Healthcare Report: Blockchain a “Critical Component” - June 13, 2018
- ShelterZoom: Interest in Blockchain Real Estate Solution Ramps Up - June 13, 2018
- Chainalysis Research Reveals Extent to Which Bitcoin Wealth Is Concentrated - June 12, 2018
- Blockchain Startup R3 Could Burn Through $100 Million In Just Two Years, Sources Claim - June 11, 2018
- How Blockchain Will Change Cities: Report - June 11, 2018
- Crypto Developers Respond To Microsoft’s GitHub Acquisition - June 11, 2018
- Morgan Stanley Offers Insight Into Bitcoin, Cryptocurrency and Blockchain - June 7, 2018
- Empower’s Speedy Financial App Integrates Major Crypto Exchanges - June 6, 2018
- Huobi Launches HB10 Crypto Index Tracking Product - June 5, 2018
- Singapore’s DREP and Quarkchain to Accelerate Scaling and Interoperability - June 4, 2018
- Bittrex Rolls out Fiat Currency Trading for Corporate Customers - June 4, 2018
- Deutsche Börse Lays Out Blockchain and Technology Focus in 2020 Strategy - June 1, 2018
- Tezos Prepares Beta Launch - June 1, 2018
- Swytch Announces Crowdsale Dates, Joins Energy Web Foundation - May 31, 2018
- EOS Mainnet Move: 174+ Block Producer Candidates Vie for Election - May 31, 2018
- Swiss Crowdfunding Grows By Leaps And Bounds, Raising 3X Last Year’s Totals - May 29, 2018
- Everipedia Prepares June Airdrop Supported by Multiple Crypto Exchanges - May 25, 2018
- Future of Global Trade: 250 Experts Polled on Tech, Finance & Blockchain - May 22, 2018
- KODAKCoin SAFT Launches Today - May 21, 2018
- Stratis Announces Alpha Release of Smart Contracts in C# - May 21, 2018
- Pan-African FinTech Firm Cellulant Raises $47.5 Million, Scales up Blockchain Division - May 18, 2018
- Deloitte Showcases Blockchain Projects at Consensus 2018 - May 17, 2018
- ConsenSys Teams up with Amazon to Deliver Streamlined Access to Blockchain - May 17, 2018
- Coinify to Broker Funds Raised in Blockshipping ICO - May 17, 2018
- Deloitte Survey Numbers Demonstrate Executive Faith in Blockchain - May 16, 2018
- Flyingcarpet Counts Coconuts in Papua New Guinea in ‘World First’ Demo - May 15, 2018
- Devcash Blockchain Clocks in at 2.5 Million Transactions per Second - May 15, 2018
- Verv Partners with Ocean Protocol for Improved Consumer Energy Data - May 15, 2018
- Energi Mine Launches Beta Version of Energy-Saving Rewards Program - May 15, 2018
- Shyft Whitepaper Outlines New Standards for Regulatory Compliance - May 14, 2018
- Stratis Announces Zero Fee Platform for Launching ICOs - May 11, 2018
- CG Blockchain Closes $31 Million Public Sale for Crypto Terminal - May 11, 2018
- New York Stock Exchange Owners Prepare Bitcoin Trading Platform - May 10, 2018
- QUOINE to Launch ICO Mission Control for Better Token Sales - May 9, 2018
- Pundi X to Accept Michael Owen’s Celebrity Coin at POS Terminals - May 9, 2018
- Bezant Content Sharing Platform Closes $16.8 Million Presale in Under One Hour - May 8, 2018
- Overstock.com and tZERO Refocus Management Positions as Growth Accelerates - May 8, 2018
- World’s Major Automakers Mobilize on Blockchain for New Initiative - May 7, 2018
- Winklevoss’ Gemini Exchange Partners with Nasdaq for Financial Surveillance Tech - May 4, 2018
- CoinList Announces Airdrops with Focus on US Securities Compliance - May 4, 2018
- IBM Announces Cross-Industry Initiative to Track Finished Jewelry - May 3, 2018
- FuzeX To Enable Debit Card Style Payments in Energi Mine Tokens, Fiat Coming Soon - May 1, 2018