Alibaba subsidiary Ant Financial, owned by Chinese billionaire Jack Ma, has raised USD 14 billion in a Series C funding round to boost blockchain development. The news was announced last week. Ant Financial, which owns mobile payments network Alipay, is now valued at around USD 150 billion, making it the world’s largest company with unicorn status.
Ant Financial was originally looking for a USD 9 billion investment ahead of its initial product offering (IPO). The investment achieved comes from both US and foreign investors. USD 11 billion was raised in dollars while the remaining USD 3 billion was in Chinese Yuan (/CNY), according to reports. The lowest investment made was USD 200 million and the highest USD 500 million.
The company, formed out of e-commerce giant Alibaba, is based in Hangzhou, China and is one of China’s largest non-bank lenders. It is planning to run an IPO as soon as this year, following Alibaba’s IPO in 2014 which raised USD 25 billion. Ant Financial’s previous funding round was in April 2016 when it raised USD 4.5 billion from investors in China.
In a statement, it said: “The Company will continue to invest in developing its blockchain, AI, security, IoT, and computing capabilities to upgrade its global technology platform for the next generation.”
Executive chairman of Ant Financial, Lucy Peng, stepped down last week after six years in the job. She will now turn her attention to a Southeast Asian e-commerce subsidiary of Alibaba in a bid to increase their sales. CEO Eric Jing has stepped in to fill the role.
Alipay, a subsidiary of Ant Financial, attempted to acquire Dallas-based Moneygram International last year. Moneygram is working with Ripple in a cross-border payments trial. The deal fell through due to opposition from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). Forbes recently highlighted the dominance of China in the FinTech sector and how it’s targeting the US market.
- Did This One Tweet Curtail John McAfee’s Crypto Career? - June 21, 2018
- Small Crypto Exchanges Likely to Fail: Chinese Research Institute - June 21, 2018
- ATM-Style Machines to Bring Blockchain to the Masses - June 21, 2018
- Lithuania Kicks Off Securitized Token Revolution - June 20, 2018
- Insights Aplenty as Coinbase & Ripple Execs Keynote London Blockchain Conference - June 14, 2018
- Ant Financial Raises $14 Billion to Become World’s Largest Unicorn - June 14, 2018
- Argo Blockchain: First Crypto Miner on the LSE - June 12, 2018
- Crypto Community Responds to Netflix’s Attacks on Bitcoin - June 11, 2018
- EOS Mainnet Launches. ‘Epic Vulnerabilities’ Solved by Bounty Hunters, Say Block Producers - June 9, 2018
- Obelisk Gives Crypto Community ASIC Tools to Take on Bitcoin Farms - June 8, 2018
- Dutch Bank Finds Blockchain ‘Inadequate’ for Financial Markets - June 7, 2018
- Does Juniper’s E-Commerce Forecast Herald Boom Time for Blockchain? - June 6, 2018
- Baidu’s Partnership with NXP Could Link its Super Chain to the IoT - June 6, 2018
- Ripple Launches $50 Million Blockchain Research Initiative - June 4, 2018
- Indian Telecoms Regulator Targets Cold-Calling with Major Blockchain Project - May 31, 2018
- China Set for Large-Scale Blockchain Applications by 2019 - May 31, 2018
- SoftBank Pairs with Cloudminds for Blockchain Authentication Solution - May 30, 2018
- DFINITY and CoinList Launch ‘Largest Airdrop in History’ - May 30, 2018
- Blockchain to Play ‘Major Role’ in Goods Industry: Deloitte Report - May 30, 2018
- UK’s Financial Watchdog Targets Crypto Businesses - May 29, 2018
- Overstock’s tZero Teams with BOX Digital for First Security Token Exchange - May 28, 2018
- Microsoft-Backed Insurwave Showcases Real-World Use - May 25, 2018
- Commerzbank Executes First Corporate FX Deal on Blockchain in Germany - May 24, 2018
- Ben & Jerry’s Backs Poseidon’s Climate Change Initiative - May 24, 2018
- Swachhcoin to Use Blockchain to Mitigate Waste Crisis, Airdrop Tomorrow - May 23, 2018
- Tezos Foundation Backs Blockchain Research by Inria and Tarides - May 23, 2018
- Tezos Expands with Two New R&D Partnerships - May 23, 2018