Major crypto exchange Coinbase is now officially in the asset management business. Its digital asset index fund opened on Wednesday for investments, providing exposure to a predetermined basket of assets listed on its exchange.
According to a statement from the San Francisco based exchange, the Coinbase Index Fund will accept investments starting at USD 250,000 up to USD 20 million from accredited US investors.
“We’ve seen overwhelming interest from investors since we announced the fund earlier this year,” said Reuben Bramanathan, Product Lead of Coinbase Asset Management, in a statement.
“Coinbase Index Fund gives investors exposure to all assets listed on our exchange, weighted by market capitalization. As we announced yesterday, the fund will be rebalanced to include Ethereum Classic, and more assets when they are listed by Coinbase in the future,” he said.
At this stage, Coinbase said its Index Fund is only open to US-resident accredited investors, but it is working on launching more funds which are accessible to all investors and cover a broader range of digital assets.
Clearly targeted at the institutional side of the investment market, Coinbase’s crypto fund is weighted by market capitalization and the company said it will charge a simple 2 percent annual management fee, similar to most hedge funds, but there will be no performance fee.
The current composition of the fund, according to the company’s website, is 61.47 percent Bitcoin, 27.17 percent Ethereum, 8.22 percent Bitcoin Cash and 3.14 percent Litecoin.
It’s notable that Coinbase’s Index Fund has been launched with a fanfare at a time when cryptocurrencies across the board are undergoing a sharp correction downward. However, that might not necessarily put off institutional investors who are looking for options in this area and, at current levels, this fund could be an interesting entry point for exposure to a balanced basket of assets at knockdown prices.
- Canada: a Blockchain Testing Ground for Cannabis Cultivators - June 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Inks Deal with Mayo Clinic to Advance Health Tech - June 21, 2018
- TrustToken Raises $20 Million with Major VC Support - June 21, 2018
- Adents Adds Microsoft AI to NovaTrack Supply Platform - June 20, 2018
- AlphaPoint Raises $15 Million with Galaxy Ventures Funding - June 19, 2018
- Fractional Shares in Robinhood, Ripple and Didi Available From Swarm Fund - June 19, 2018
- WAVES Tokens Take a Ride on OKEX Exchange - June 18, 2018
- Europe’s Leading Parking Services Network Launches ICO - June 18, 2018
- Hdac Scores with World Cup TV Blockchain Advert - June 15, 2018
- Swedish Sports Brand Puts Same-Sex Marriage on the Blockchain - June 15, 2018
- Whale Hunter Spiking Links with AntShares Founder’s Latest Blockchain, Nebulas - June 15, 2018
- Swytch Pilots Clean Energy Rewards in Germany, Launches ICO - June 14, 2018
- Coinbase Opens Index Fund for Investments up to $20 Million - June 14, 2018
- South Africa Reserve Bank Makes Progress with Quorum Blockchain Pilot - June 12, 2018
- Wallets and Exchanges Fail Identity Check Test - June 12, 2018
- Now ‘Ask Juliet’ for Crypto Tips on TokenAI - June 11, 2018
- Iconic Warhol on Slate at Blockchain Auction - June 8, 2018
- “Quasi Unicorn” Hyperchain Seals RMB 1.5 Billion Financing - June 8, 2018
- COBINHOOD Launches DEXON Platform for Faster Processing - June 7, 2018
- Subway Jumps on FoodLogiQ Supply Chain Pilot - June 7, 2018
- RecordFarm Token Lists on Coinbene - June 7, 2018
- Award-Winning Crypto Comedy: KevCoin the Movie Premieres June 28 - June 6, 2018
- SEC Appoints Crypto Securities Czar - June 6, 2018
- FundRequest Platform Rewards Open Source Software Fixes - June 5, 2018
- Cashaa Links to Populous Marketplace, Commences Token Redistribution - June 5, 2018
- Blockchain Expo Europe 2018 Rolls Into Amsterdam - June 4, 2018
- $300 Million Monster ICO Planned by Cables and Headphones Firm - June 4, 2018
- Swissport Explores Blockchain Potential for Airport Services - June 1, 2018
- Odyssey Lists on UpBit and Bitrex Ahead of OCpay System Launch - June 1, 2018
- Hey, Alexa… CREALOGIX Launches Banking Hub with Voice Recognition - May 31, 2018
- Pundi X Inks Deal with American Chamber of Commerce Korea - May 30, 2018
- Japan’s Gumi Games Founder Launches $30M Crypto Fund - May 30, 2018
- Peoplewave Lists HR Blockchain ICO on QUOINE Platform - May 29, 2018
- Five Cryptocurrencies Into One: Bitcoin Origin Launches Penta-Fork Multichain - May 28, 2018
- Singapore Regulator Blocks Unauthorised Security Token Trading - May 28, 2018
- Leading Loyalty Rewards Program Integrates Dash - May 28, 2018
- Seal Network Teams with Deloitte for EU Anti-Counterfeit Effort - May 28, 2018
- FunFair Launches Blockchain Casino Platform in Closed Beta - May 25, 2018
- On GDPR Day, a Blockchain Solution - May 25, 2018
- Ogilvy Hosts Rebranding Contest for Crypto Hopefuls in NYC - May 24, 2018
- MoneyToken Adds BCH, Brings Roger Ver and Mate Tokay on Board - May 24, 2018
- Japan’s Biggest Bank to Roll out Blockchain Payment System by 2020 - May 23, 2018
- Envion Legal Battle Is Latest Swiss Crypto Bust Up - May 22, 2018
- Kontakt.io Teams IoT Platform with IOTA’s Blockchain for Monitoring and Asset Tracking - May 22, 2018
- Medicalchain Launches MyClinic.com Telemedicine Platform - May 22, 2018
- Malta Picks Omnitude to Drive Blockchain Into Public Transport - May 21, 2018
- European Parliament Passes Resolution Supporting Blockchain Technology - May 21, 2018
- Leading Indian Banks Form Blockchain Trade Network with InfoSys - May 18, 2018
- Orbs Raises $118 Million to Fund Consumer Apps Blockchain Platform - May 18, 2018
- WordPress for Blockchain: Superblocks Launches with $1 Million in Funding - May 18, 2018