The United States-based FinTech company tZERO and BOX Digital Markets LLC announced on Tuesday that they have entered into a joint venture, aiming to become the world’s first regulated exchange for trading security tokens.
Security tokens are defined as “securities” under U.S. law. If tZero and BOX Digital’s venture takes shape, investors will have a Securities and Exchange Commission-regulated platform on which to trade crypto assets.
According to the announcement, tZERO will power the technology required to create and operate the joint venture. In addition, tZERO will manage the ongoing technology implementation, administration, maintenance and support. BOX Digital will provide executive leadership and regulatory expertise. Upon obtaining SEC approval, the joint venture will operate as a facility of BOX Options Exchange, an existing registered U.S. securities exchange.
“We will work closely with the SEC to create a framework for the safe and efficient trading of security tokens and our joint venture with tZERO marks a significant step that brings us ever closer to creating the industry’s first regulated exchange for security tokens,” said BOX Digital CEO Lisa Fall. “With BOX’s experience in building and operating a sophisticated equity options marketplace and tZERO’s industry-leading blockchain technology, we have brought together our organizations’ combined expertise to create a more efficient capital market that will benefit traders and issuers.”
BOX Digital is a wholly-owned subsidiary of BOX Holdings Group LLC, which owns and operates BOX Market, an equity options marketplace and a facility of BOX Options Exchange LLC. BOX Digital’s partner, t0.com, Inc. (“tZERO“) is a majority-owned subsidiary of Overstock.com, focusing on the development and commercialization of financial technology based on cryptographically-secured, decentralized ledgers – more commonly known as blockchain technologies.
- Stratis Announces New Blockchain Identity App - July 23, 2018
- SophiaTX and ArkTree Partner to Promote Blockchain in South Africa - July 19, 2018
- Embleema Announces Healthcare Blockchain - July 18, 2018
- Quants, Blockchain & Bots: Gimmer Launches Automated Crypto Platform - July 13, 2018
- Swiss Stock Exchange Building Infrastructure for Digital Assets - July 12, 2018
- HBUS Launches Virtual Currency Platform Open to U.S. Users - July 10, 2018
- Archax Announces Platform that will Cater to Traditional and Crypto Investors - June 29, 2018
- Arsenal FC’s Crypto Partner, CashBet Raises $38 Million - June 22, 2018
- BOX Digital and tZERO Partner for SEC-Regulated Crypto Exchange - June 20, 2018
- Leading Argentine Credit Issuer Naranja Partners with Ripio - June 15, 2018
- Can This Korean Company Trump a President and Launch Peninsula-Wide Satellite Services? - June 14, 2018
- Quebec Moves to Restrict Crypto Mining - June 8, 2018
- Sagewise Using Hashgraph Blockchain to Underpin Smart Contract Resolution - June 7, 2018
- ALTR Releases Blockchain-Based Security Software - June 6, 2018
- Blockchain Startup Paxos Pivots to a $65 Million Raise - June 5, 2018
- Game Changer? Gaming Veterans Join Forces to Create Ultra Platform - June 1, 2018
- Harvard’s Experfy Launches ICO for Blockchain Education Platform - May 31, 2018
- Am-Ex Brings Blockchain to Membership Rewards - May 29, 2018
- Leading SV Funds Back User-Friendly Digital Assets Platform Tari - May 24, 2018
- æternity Launch Blockchain Incubator and Investment Network - May 23, 2018