As the price of bitcoin rises and falls, some are left wondering what would happen if the coveted cryptocurrency crashed. According to a video from CoinTelegraph, a crash for bitcoin would have no impact on the world economy whatsoever.
With a market cap of $137 billion USD and 40 percent of all bitcoin being held by just 1,000 people, according to Bloomberg, the global impact would be minimal if anything. For comparison, the 2008 financial crash resulted in Americans losing $12.8 trillion USD.
That said, bitcoin’s crash would have some impact in the cryptocurrency realm. CoinTelegraph hypothesizes that the rest of the crypto realm — valued at roughly $150 billion USD — would stagnate, leaving only the strongest, real-world utility companies left in the space.
This may not be such a bad thing, though.
CoinTelegraph compares this possibility to the dotcom bubble of 1997 to 2001, in which the strongest companies, such as Amazon and eBay, emerged from the crash stronger than before.
CoinTelegraph concludes: “So, in short, if Bitcoin crashes, many individual investors will lose money; there would be blood, sweat and tears; Twitter would explode; YouTube would cry out in horror; 100 bitcoin whales would have a really bad day, but life would go on and, in the end, would it be a bad thing?”
- Chicago Blockchain Project to Hold First Voice of Blockchain Event - July 31, 2018
- How the .HIVE Gaming App is Buzzing Into the Cryptosphere - July 25, 2018
- What Would Happen if Bitcoin Crashed? Not Much - July 23, 2018
- Venture Capitalist Rumi Morales on the Crypto-Space - July 23, 2018
- Brian Armstrong and Vitalik Buterin Make a Rihanna Sandwich in Fortune’s “40 Under 40” - July 23, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: Barry Silbert, Bernie Sanders and ‘Supine Ignorance’ - July 20, 2018
- What Do Jeremy Renner of ‘The Avengers’ and a $40 Million Bitcoin Heist Have in Common? - July 17, 2018
- Bitcoin Will Reach $20,000 USD by End of 2018, Says Expert - July 16, 2018
- Accenture and Thales Debut Blockchain Technology for the Aerospace Industry at Farnborough - July 16, 2018
- This Week on Crypto Social Media: ‘Burn in hell,’ Facebook Acquiring Coinbase? - July 13, 2018
- Quantum Computing Will Impact Blockchain Technology — Find Out How - July 13, 2018
- Behind the Scenes of Ivan on Tech’s Crypto YouTube Channel - July 13, 2018
- Taking on Alexa and Cortana, Snips Debuts Blockchain-Based AI Assistant - July 13, 2018
- Trump Delivers Executive Order to Establish Crypto Fraud Investigations Task Force - July 13, 2018
- How Vitalik Buterin’s “Burn in Hell” Comment Sparked Discussion on Centralized Exchanges - July 12, 2018
- Google Missed Out on the Blockchain Frontier: Sergey Brin - July 12, 2018
- FinTank Panel: Blockchain Beyond Banking - July 11, 2018
- Bancor Set to Reactivate After $13.5 Million USD Security Breach - July 10, 2018
- Walmart Files Patent to Use Blockchain in Securing Package Deliveries - July 10, 2018
- YouTube Named in Class-Action Lawsuit Against BitConnect - July 10, 2018