Top 100 cryptocurrency Zcoin (XZC) – a popular privacy coin has announced they are the first to implement “Dandelion” to ensure more transactio privacy on the blockchain.
Dandelion – the work of researchers from Carnegie Mellon, MIT and the University of Illinois – Giulia Fanti, Shaileshh Bojja Venkatakrishnan, Surya Bakshi, Bradley Denby, Shruti Bhargava, Andrew Miller and Pramod Viswanath – is a service that provides network privacy which further conceals the IP address of someone broadcasting a transaction on the blockchain.
“We’re excited to be adding yet another layer of privacy to reduce the likelihood of any linkability to personal information like IP addresses to transactions,” said Reuben Yap, COO of Zcoin on the integration of Dandelion to Zcoin.
“There is a lot of sensitive information in people’s financial transactions, so it’s important to ensure that their data can’t be exploited by malicious agents, especially given the public nature of cryptocurrencies. Dandelion protects users from adversaries who might try to link their cryptocurrency transactions to an IP address,” said Giulia Fanti, assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Carnegie Mellon University.
Zcoin are the the pioneers of the Zerocoin protocol which ensures private financial transactions using zero-knowledge cryptographic proofs. To protect the anonymity of transactions, users are able to destroy their Zcoins and mint new ‘clean’ coins with no transaction history tied to it.
Although Zcoin has Tor integration which helps users hide their IP addresses, Dandelion adds an additional layer of protection. What’s more, it also protects those who do not want to use Tor for performance reasons.
“Unlike using Tor, Dandelion is implemented within the existing cryptocurrency peer-to-peer network, so it doesn’t rely on (or impose costs on) an external service. It’s also lightweight and fairly easy to implement on top of existing cryptocurrency gossip networks because it does not use encryption,” said Andrew Miller, one of the researchers of Dandelion and Assistant Professor at the University of Illinois.
Dandelion does not make it impossible to link a user’s transaction to their IP address but it currently offers the best possible protection over transactions without resorting to encryption.
“Dandelion is an elegant and lightweight solution to further conceal IP addresses and we are proud to be the first to implement it in a cryptocurrency. Having an IP address connected to a transaction can give information as private as your physical location, name and account balance – the exposure of this can have very far reaching ramifications,” said Yap.
There have been several high profile cases where people have become targets because people are aware that they hold a lot of cryptocurrencies.
Some noteworthy cases include managing director of Ukranian cryptocurrency exchange EXMO who was kidnapped in Ukraine and released after paying a ransom of $1 million in Bitcoin and creator of cryptocurrency PRIZM who was robbed of 300 Bitcoins in Moscow.
Zcoin (XZC) is an open source, decentralised privacy coin that focuses on achieving privacy and anonymity for its users while transacting on the blockchain. It is the first full implementation of the Zerocoin Protocol, which allows users to have complete privacy over their transactions via zero-knowledge cryptographic proofs. Zcoin does not use the same cryptography and is not related to other cryptocurrencies utilizing the Zerocash Protocol.
Dandelion provides network privacy that further conceals the IP address of someone broadcasting a transaction. Dandelion is the result of the research work of Giulia Fanti, Shaileshh Bojja Venkatakrishnan, Surya Bakshi, Bradley Denby, Shruti Bhargava, Andrew Miller and Pramod Viswanath.
- Blythe Masters Resigns as CEO of Digital Asset - December 18, 2018
- Overstock’s Medici Ventures Uses Ravencoin Blockchain for Equity Purchase in Chainstone Labs – Completes $3.6 Million Securities Token Transfer - December 18, 2018
- Despite Market Downturn – eToro Survey Reveals Strong Interest in Cryptoasset Education - December 18, 2018
- BlockIMMO brings Blockchain Technology Platform to Tokenize Fractional Real Estate Investment - December 17, 2018
- Algorand Appoints Dual Ph.D. Rock Star Pablo Azar as Chief Economist - December 17, 2018
- Dascoin – Anatomy of Multilevel Marketing Crypto Scam – Coinmarketcap Zero - December 17, 2018
- Dutch Blockchain Company Tymlez Group Starts Trading on Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) - December 13, 2018
- DNAtix Releases Live Demo of its Blockchain based Genetic Infrastructure Platform - December 11, 2018
- IOHK Launches Secure Smart Contracts Technology for Cardano blockchain - December 11, 2018
- XYO Network to Launch of Blockchain Satellite on SpaceX Falcon 9 - December 11, 2018
- Algo Capital to Invest In Promising Companies Built on Algorand Platform – Announces $100 Million Blockchain Fund - December 11, 2018
- Stackr Taps into AI For Investment Solutions to Power a New Savings Solution - December 11, 2018
- Walt Disney Company Cuts Deal with Blockchain-fueled PlayGame.com to Bring Games to Southeast Asian Fans - December 11, 2018
- Huobi Releases New Derivative Market On Huobi Global - December 11, 2018
- Ledger Expands to New York City - November 26, 2018
- Genetics Prof. David Haymer Joins DNAtix Advisory Board - November 12, 2018
- Libra Announces Commitment to Support Circle Trade’s Financial Reporting Requirements - November 10, 2018
- Evident Proof, Leading Blockchain Immutable Proof Platform Accept Dash & XRP As Business Adoption Soars - November 10, 2018
- Ethereum Now On Hyperledger Fabric - October 28, 2018
- 8000+ Expected – Blockchain Expo North America Exhibition Announces Expert Speakers - October 26, 2018