Volkswagen and blockchain startup Minespider are setting up a pilot project to achieve transparency in the global supply chain for lead. Blockchain technology makes it possible to trace the raw material back to the point of origin by means of digital certificates and the Volkswagen Group plans to use this technology for further raw materials and their supply chains.
Supply chain transparency is a major issue in many industries, including the automotive sector. Responsible raw material procurement is fundamental for sustainable mobility. Going forward, Volkswagen will be using blockchain, the technology behind various cryptocurrencies, to ensure more transparency and security in the supply chain. Starting in April, Volkswagen will be collaborating with Minespider to trace the supply chain for lead from the point of origin to the factory. The point of origin will be either the mine or the recycling source. The pilot project will involve suppliers and sub-suppliers that deliver more than two-thirds of the Group’s total lead starter battery requirements.
The collaboration Between Volkswagen and Minespider is the outcome of a “Hackathon for Supply Chain Transparency” held in 2018, where Minespider came out on top. During the event that is one element of the Volkswagen Group’s corporate citizenship, some 100 experts from various disciplines worked together to further develop innovative, digital solutions for more supply chain transparency. The hackathon series continues in 2019.
Head of Strategy Group Procurement Philippi:
“We will use this technology to make our processes more transparent and secure.”
- Optimizing supply chains
- Eliminating sources of error
- Guaranteeing social and ecological standards
- New Zealand’s Cryptopia Exchange Packs It In – Announces Liquidation - May 15, 2019
- Canadian Blockchain Expert Alex Tapscott and NextBlock Global Limited to Pay $1M for Misleading Investors - May 15, 2019
- ObEN Launches AI Newscaster With 3D “Satoshi” Avatar to Deliver Content via PAI News App - May 14, 2019
- Leading Freelance Platform Moonlighting Announces First Blockchain Integration Partner – Teams with HireVibes For EOSIO Solution - May 14, 2019
- Polish-UK Blockchain Company Billon awarded €2 million euro from EU to build DLT Document System - May 14, 2019
- City of Belfast and Colu Team up to Create City Loyalty Token to Boost Local Economy and Environment - May 8, 2019
- Fidelity Investments – to Launch Cryptocurrency Trading Desk Soon – Recent Report Shows Clients Want To Trade Digital Assets - May 8, 2019
- Consensys Accelerates Blockchain Investment Portfolio, Consolidates Investment Arms - May 8, 2019
- IBM to Track Fresh Shrimp on the Blockchain - May 8, 2019
- Binance Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked for 7000 BTC (USD $40 million) - May 8, 2019
- Gate.io Reports Success on First Three Successful IEO Projects - May 8, 2019
- Deloitte and RIDDLE&CODE expand partnership to enable the Token Economy - May 8, 2019
- Alprockz Partners with Fusion Foundation to Accelerate Swiss Franc-backed Stablecoin - May 6, 2019
- Major Canadian Banks Choose Blockchain Solution for Identity Verification - May 6, 2019
- Big Pharma Giant Pfizer and Others Join Life Sciences and Healthcare Blockchain Project MediLedger - May 6, 2019
- Craig Wright Pressured to Produce Evidence of Bitcoin and Blind Trust in the Dave Kleiman vs Craig Wright 1.1 Million BTC Court Case - May 6, 2019
- Facebook Kicks Off with their New Cryptocurrency Project Libra - May 6, 2019
- Vanbex Fights Back Against Asset Seizure in Civil Case by Suing Former Contractor for Libel - May 6, 2019
- Philippines’ CEZA Awards ADAX Rights to Open a Security Token Issuance platform and Security Trading Exchange - May 6, 2019
- Bitfinex $1 Billion IEO Details Leaked – Plans To Use Money To Cover Frozen Funds - May 6, 2019
Also published on Medium.