nWay, multiplatform developers of hit action games such as Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Power Rangers: Legacy Wars and ChronoBlade, today announced a major new addition to their eagerly anticipated nWayPlay game development platform. In addition to enabling the fast and easy development and scalability of crossplay, real-time multiplayer games, nWayPlay will now offer a new frictionless prizing solution that uses blockchain technology to unlock new monetization models for developers of competitive online multiplayer games.
“Our goal is to create a game development platform that not only takes care of traditional backend needs but also provide a platform to easily adopt blockchain-based technologies to their games to make their games be more aligned with what competitive gamers want,” said Taehoon Kim, co-founder and CEO of nWay.
The new blockchain integration is comprised of three components:
nWayPlay Tokens (NPTs) and Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs): nWayPlay will support NPTs as a new blockchain-based currency for nWayPlay games. Players will be able to earn NPTs in-game, as well as buy and sell with other players. nWayPlay will also enable developers to easily create NFTs as prizes for their games. These NFTs are in-game items and characters that are unique, discrete and verifiable through blockchain technology and can be bought and sold outside the game.
The nWayPlay Wallet: All nWayPlay accounts will come with a blockchain-supported wallet. This wallet will hold NPTs and NFTs that players have gathered from all nWayPlay games. Players will also be able to use the wallet to transact outside the game. Currently, most wallet systems in the market have a lot of friction. nWay is working on innovations to reduce friction and make wallets more user-friendly.
nWayPlay Marketplace: nWayPlay will support a single marketplace for nWayPlay games. The marketplace will allow players to sell and buy NPTs and NFTs from various games on nWayPlay and where players can invest on buying certain items or liquidate winnings from a tournament played on one of the nWayPlay games.
The new features solve two major challenges faced by developers of competitive online games: monetization and prizing. As competitive games must be fair, competitive gamers are particularly sensitive to the traditional pay-to-win revenue model. Blockchain technology can reshape the way competitive games are monetized. , For instance, instead of publishers only transacting with the players, nWayPlay gives developers the tools to easily create a token system and marketplace where prizes can be bought and sold, allowing players to transact directly with each other in a peer-to-peer manner and unlocking new ways for developers to monetize free-to-play games. Moreover, competitive gamers are drawn to games with in-game tournaments that payout, but fulfilling prizes on a global basis is loaded with friction and is difficult to scale. By adding a token system and NFTs, nWayPlay makes it much easier for developers to develop and service in-game tournament features that are frictionless for players to receive prizing.
“We believe this will allow games developed on nWayPlay platform to run game economies in a far more flexible way, where value can flow many ways instead of the only player-to-publisher as it has been in the past,” Kim continued. “We think it fits extremely well with the competitive gaming ecosystem, and incentives are well aligned. Players will want to invest more time and money to become good at the games that are on nWayPlay, which in turn will help nWayPlay developers to become successful.”
nWayPlay is the recently announced backend technology platform that allows game developers to easily create crossplay, real-time multiplayer games. The platform gives development teams a firm foundation on which to build their game backend and delivers everything developers need to launch a stable, scalable backend stack with support for real-time multiplayer and live data. nWayPlay’s features set, which will continuously be updated and improved, can be fully customized to match a developer’s game.
nWayPlay will launch towards the end of this year and is currently accepting alpha partners. More information on nWayPlay can be found at http://nway.com.
nWay is a San Francisco based developer, publisher & tech platform for competitive multiplayer games across mobile, PC, and consoles. nWay’s proprietary backend tech platform nWayPlay enables fast development, prototyping, and operations of cross-play, real-time multiplayer games. The company has a strong track record of developing AAA quality games on mobile and on a console such as recently launched Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid, Power Rangers: Legacy Wars, and ChronoBlade. nWay is comprised of leading developers and senior executives from Sony, Electronic Arts, WB Games, LucasArts, Kabam, Nexon and NCSoft. Collectively, the team has contributed to over a dozen hit the mobile, console, and online games, including Marvel Contest of Champions, Injustice, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Dominations, FIFA, Battlefield Online, Lineage II, and Warhammer.
For more information about nWay and nWayPlay visit http://nway.com.
- Wanxiang Blockchain and PlatON Launch Consortium Blockchain Infrastructure in China - October 7, 2019
- PayPal Quits Facebook Cryptocurrency Project Libra - October 7, 2019
- Walmart To Use Blockchain For Shrimp - October 7, 2019
- Channel Tools adds Blockchain-Driven Verification Service Evident Proof To It’s Kit - October 7, 2019
- Zuckerberg Under Intense Pressure to Testify to US Congress about Libra - October 4, 2019
- Report: Canadian Blockchain Industry Has Some of The Highest Paid Workers in the Country - October 4, 2019
- Bavarian Company RISE Wealth Technologies with Houston-based Entoro, Launching Largest European STO to Date at USD$120 million - October 4, 2019
- October Launch Confirmation for Telegram Open Network (TON) - October 4, 2019
- Liechtenstein Parliament Passes Blockchain Act - October 4, 2019
- Pioneer of Blockchain Certification For The Visual Arts Verisart, Raises $2.5 million in Series Seed Funding - October 4, 2019
- Uruguayan Digital Party to Embrace Æternity Blockchain Technology For Member Voting - October 3, 2019
- Decentralized Trading Technology Startup Vega Raises $5 Million Seed – Pantera Capital Leads Oversubscribed Round - October 3, 2019
- Malta-Based OKEx Kicks Off Global Compliance Standards Initiative for Cryptocurrency Exchanges - October 3, 2019
- Dama Financial and Helix TCS Establish First Blockchain-Fueled, Complaint Cannabis Marketplace - October 3, 2019
- New Digital Rights Law Enacted in Russia – Establishes Basic Definition Of Tokens And Governs Smart Contracts - October 2, 2019
- Six major Japanese Brokerage Firms Establish Japan Security Token Offering Association - October 2, 2019
- Vancouver’s BIGG Digital Assets Cuts Deal with US Federal Government Agency - October 2, 2019
- æternity Teams Up with Uruguay Can to Track Cannabis Production on the Blockchain - October 2, 2019
- Streamr Launches Global Pub/Sub Network For Machine Data - October 2, 2019
- SEC Orders Blockone to Pay $24 Million Fine for Unregistered ICO - October 2, 2019
Also published on Medium.