Blockchain monitoring and intelligence platform, PARSIQ, has opened up the results of its study on the distribution of cryptocurrency wealth across the top five cryptocurrencies, showing clearly that Bitcoin wealth is concentrated in a relatively small number of wallet addresses, and this number hasn’t changed significantly in years.
Andre Kalinowski, Co-founder at PARSIQ, said:
“Right now, just 6,457 individual wallet addresses hold fifty percent of the entire cryptocurrency wealth of all the top five cryptocurrencies. Excluding Bitcoin, that number drops to 1,805. The individuals and organiSations which control these addresses hold a huge amount of influence, and their power goes mostly unchecked because their activities go largely unchecked.
Cryptocurrencies were created with the desire to create a more egalitarian society away from government manipulation and centralised control. However, the latest research from PARSIQ has found that cryptocurrency wealth is controlled by a small number of early adopter and exchange-owned “whale wallets.”
Across the top five cryptocurrencies by market capitalisation, the most concentrated is Ripple, with half of XRP controlled by only 14 wallet addresses, just 0.001% of the total funded wallet addresses3. However, Ethereum isn’t far behind with 346 wallets consisting of 0.003% of wallet addresses1.
“HODLing” leads to increased concentration of wealth
The minimum number of Bitcoins required to enter the elite of the top 50% of Bitcoin wallet addresses is 347 BTC, or around $3.8m equivalent. On average, these wallet addresses have been in existence for just over two years, so much of the accumulated wealth pre-dates the surge of interest in late 2017.
In its first few years, Bitcoin wealth became gradually more distributed, but this accumulation has not changed significantly in two years (see chart below), and to some extent has gone into reverse. Ethereum and Litecoin have also been relatively stable, although far fewer wallets control half the wealth with these cryptocurrencies – 346 and 180 wallet addresses respectively.
Bitcoin Cash is the exception to a stable two years. It has seen a significant concentration of wealth since the hard fork that created it, as large holders of BCH cashed in on their holdings.
The real story is that although mass media interest in 2017-2018 has brought significant interest, very little has changed under the surface. The whales are still holding cryptocurrencies long-term and still have the ability to move the markets.
“The fact is, the transparency that’s part of the DNA of cryptocurrencies has been clouded by the size and complexity involved in analysing these cryptocurrencies. It’s time to open up the blockchain to everyone, to encourage fairer wealth distribution, or at least ensure the whales are more accountable through better monitoring.”
- Bitcoin wallet addresses holding at least $1, currently numbering 20,314,235 wallets. Ethereum wallet addresses with at least $1 number 10,129,112
- Credit Suisse Wealth Report 2017 found 1% of the world’s population own 50.1% of the global wealth (or approximately $140tn) https://www.credit-suisse.com/about-us/en/reports-research/global-wealth-report.html
- Wallets holding at least 20 XRP (approximately $6), currently numbering 1,592,456
PARSIQ is a next-generation blockchain monitoring and intelligence platform. PARSIQ’s solution listens to all blockchain activity and builds a fully indexed representation of what happens in a particular blockchain and when. It goes beyond the current solutions, with new innovations such as mempool monitoring and ParsiQL, a query language to allow complex logic conditions to be created that reacts in real-time to the events or specific transactions on the blockchain. The technology protects against unauthorized blockchain events, it’s market intelligence capability gives new insights into blockchain trading activities and with forensics, it can deep dive into past criminal activity that has taken place on the blockchain.
- Huobi Charity Joins Rally with Blockchain Community in Global Fight Against COVID-19 - April 2, 2020
- Binance Officially Absorbs CoinMarketCap in $400 million deal - April 2, 2020
- RealT Tokenises and Sells USD One Million in Real Estate On Ethereum - March 30, 2020
- IOTA Teams Up with Eclipse Foundation to Work on Decentralised Marketplace and Identity Solutions to Help Fight Pandemic - March 30, 2020
- University of Malta Students Develop and Use Blockchain Voting Application - March 30, 2020
- Japan’s Nomura Securities and BOOSTRY Issue First Blockchain Digital Bond Offering - March 30, 2020
- Opera Rolls out Update and Expansion of its Cryptocurrency-Friendly Browser Blockchain Architecture - March 30, 2020
- Hong Kong Bank Partners with Aegis to Focus On Asset Digitalization Using Blockchain Technology - March 30, 2020
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020
Also published on Medium.