“We will be the first entity anywhere in the world to hold an initial public offering of security tokens,” claimed Edmond Tuohy, CEO of MERJ Exchange. “For this ground-breaking event, it is essential for MERJ to have a partner on board with the right technology, systems and approach to grasp the significance of this milestone for financial markets. Globacap is among the leaders who are really executing in this space and that resonates well with us.”
MERJ Exchange beat rivals to become the first fully-regulated exchange globally to list equity-security tokens in August. Now, the national stock exchange of Seychelles plans an initial public offering of the tokens.
The alliance brings together two companies intent on introducing international governance standards and safety nets to the world of digital assets through fully compliant end-to-end infrastructure. In 2018, Globacap became the first company to issue an equity-security token under the regulatory supervision of the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority.
With 8.7 million of its own shares listed on the Seychelles exchange in tokenized form, MERJ plans to offer 16% of the company’s share capital in its IPO, set for next month. Globacap, which uses distributed ledger technology for issuance and administration of tokenized securities, is a “natural fit” as both companies are applying blockchain technology to highly regulated financial markets, said Tuohy.
“Globacap and MERJ share a sense of mission to bring the efficiency and cost benefits of distributed ledger technology to the regulated financial markets arena,” said Globacap Founder and CEO Myles Milston. “MERJ has demonstrated unquestionable leadership and its IPO will be a landmark event in bridging regulated financial markets and the world of digital assets. We couldn’t be more excited to be a part of this journey.”
MERJ is in active discussions with several companies planning to list their own digital securities on the Seychelles exchange. It is also in talks with some of the largest global tech companies about long-term partnerships in areas including tokenization, custody and key management.
Situated off the coast of East Africa, the Seychelles exchange developed as a result of the IMF and World Bank working with the island’s government to build a financial services sector, while coordinating with agencies like the OECD and FATF to ensure compliance with the highest international standards. An affiliate member of the World Federation of Exchanges, MERJ is licensed by the Seychelles Financial Services Authority, which is an associate member of IOSCO.
MERJ has the unusual benefit that the group’s licenses extend to operating the entire pre- and post-trade infrastructure, which includes clearing, settlement, registry and depository services. This has enabled MERJ to move more quickly than its competitors in adopting a framework necessary to build a digital assets exchange.
By applying distributed ledger technology to streamline processes, MERJ expects to help reduce costs both for issuers and investors. The direct access enabled by MERJ’s infrastructure limits the need for brokers or banks, making it especially attractive in the “mobile-first” ecosystems of many emerging markets.
“We are all about merging the best of the old world with the best of the new to create a new paradigm in financial markets that builds value, trust and accessibility,” said MERJ CEO Tuohy. “We are creating processes that ultimately will democratize access to global capital markets for companies and investors.”
Listings on MERJ represent more than one-fifth of the national GDP of the Republic of Seychelles and include companies from across North America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa.
- Blockchain Project Cashaa Protecting Crypto Companies to Survive Fifth Money Laundering Directive and New FCA Rules in 2020 - February 8, 2020
- US SEC Boss Hester Peirce Suggests Three Year “Safe Harbour Period” For Token Sales - February 6, 2020
- China’s Hyperchain Plans to Take on Coronavirus With Blockchain-Fueled Donation Platform - February 6, 2020
- Blockstack Proposes Using Bitcoin, Novel ‘Proof of Transfer’ To Accelerate A Truly User-Owned Web 3.0 - February 6, 2020
- Hack Blockchain To The MAX! €15.000 Prizepool at MAXathon in Berlin April 18-19, 2020 - February 6, 2020
- Chiliz And Enjin To Launch Blockchain Collectibles Using NFTs For The Likes of Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Atlético de Madrid and West Ham - February 6, 2020
- MIT Researchers Claim to Boost Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Blockchain Transactions By 4x with New ‘Spider’ Routing Scheme - February 4, 2020
- Canada’s Blockchain Intelligence Group Signs USD$540,000 Contract with United States Feds - February 4, 2020
- The United States Marshals Services to Auction 4,040.54069820 Bitcoin – USD$37 Million - February 4, 2020
- OpenLegacy Project Gets $20m Strategic Investment from Japan’s SBI Holdings – Focus on Blockchain - February 4, 2020
- Fastest Growing and Highest Revenue Mobile Messenger App in the World, Japan’s LINE to Launch LINK Cryptocurrency - February 3, 2020
- Insolar to Launch MainNet on February 3, 2020 – Debuts Insolar’s New XNS Token - February 3, 2020
- Blockchain-Based Social Media App Vid with VI Tokens – To Launch April 1, 2020 – After VC $10 million USD Investment in 2019 - February 3, 2020
- UK FCA Licenses BCB Group as First Crypto Company to be Regulated as Authorised Payment Institution - January 31, 2020
- Virgil Griffith Pleads Innocent in Blockchain North Korea Event Case – Faces Up To 20 Years in Prison if Convicted - January 31, 2020
- University College London Centre for Blockchain Technologies Releases New Report on Supply Chains - January 31, 2020
- World’s Leading Research and Advisory Company Gartner Says Blockchain Smart Contracts Can Increase Corporate Overall Data Quality by 50 Percent - January 31, 2020
- Dubai Wants to Clone Crypto Valley in the Desert - January 29, 2020
- The National Bank of Cambodia (NBC) to Launch Blockchain-Based, Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) - January 29, 2020
- Swiss company Overfuture To Offer Tokenised Equity Crowdfunding (Security Token Offering) - January 29, 2020
Also published on Medium.