Some fellow blockchain nerds seem to have helped kickstart what could be a major breakthrough solution to the current coronavirus COVID-19 crisis that has engulfed the globe.
The two noted blockchain industry players fired up a started a media storm followed by a new repository online for medical professionals and scientists to crowdsource intelligence and data to help solve the pandemic.
Last week, a well-known blockchain investor from Blocktown Capital, James Todaro tweeted to a paper he and fellow blockchain aficionado and founder of IKU Founder Gregory Rigano wrote on March 13, 2020 (the original has been taken down by Google), that an 85-year-old malaria drug called chloroquine (and hydroxychloroquine) was a potential treatment and preventative against the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Elon Musk picked up on the tweet on March 16, 2020, and it’s now raging through the media, with US President Donald Trump also echoing that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were both potential solutions during a March 19, 2020 press meeting.
Musk followed up with:
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 17, 2020
To top it off, a French scientist, Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, recently conducted a controlled clinical study has shown that 100 per cent of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.
In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.
Forbes has also reported that Hydroxychloroquine was determined to be effective in killing the deadly bug in laboratory experiments, citing findings published March 9 in the Clinical Infectious Diseases journal.
The has now led to a new website from Todaro and Rigano called CovidTrial.io – An Open Data Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Prevention. The project is set up for an independent group of scientists and physicians working to share data and work on an open-data clinical trial for the prevention of COVID-19, through the use of hydroxychloroquine in combination with other therapeutic agents, for prevention of SARS-COV2 infection in high-risk health care workers.
“Unlike a typical commercial drug trial, our objective is to share trial data with the public* and health-care professionals as close to real-time as possible (with a reasonable level of data quality assurance). Given the rapidly spreading coronavirus pandemic, we’re looking for every possible means to fast-track the effort.”
The project is led by Rigano with consulting from Didier Raoult, MD & Ph.D who ran the successful French trials and Dr. Chandra Duggirala, MD who is also the CEO and founder of blockchain project Portal.
- European Union Looking to Blockchain Technology for Defense? - March 30, 2020
- Tech against Corona (COVID-19) – Dutch Enterprise Blockchain Company TYMLEZ Helps Dutch Government - March 29, 2020
- Microsoft Patents Human Activity Mining for Cryptocurrency Systems – Data Generated Based on Body Activity can be Proof-of-Work - March 27, 2020
- Binance Kicks Off $5 Million Coronavirus Relief Campaign and Donates USD $1 Million - March 27, 2020
- Medici Ventures Keiretsu Companies GrainChain and Symbiont Working Together to Expand Global Operations - March 27, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Entertainment Platform Ficto Launches Premium Interactive Streaming Network - March 27, 2020
- SettleMint – Belgian blockchain startup raises USD $2.09 Million for Expansion - March 27, 2020
- Exclusive Interview: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Leader Michael Terpin Sees Light in The Covid-19 Tunnel - March 26, 2020
- Blockchain Real Estate Project Smartlands Raising Funds on Equity Crowdfunding Platform Seedrs - March 26, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Exchange OKEx Greenlights DEA Trade Token Deapcoin For Its Jobtribe and PlayMining Games - March 26, 2020
- Microasset – The International Blockchain Monetary Reserve Announces $3.48 M In Reserve Funding, New Listing on BiKi Exchange - March 25, 2020
- Social Login – KyberSwap Integrates Torus to Offer Quick and Easy Ethereum Wallet Management - March 25, 2020
- Michael Terpin’s BitAngels Launches Virtual Events to Connect Blockchain Community Amidst Global Coronavirus Pandemic - March 25, 2020
- Blockchain-Fueled Company Mateon Report Positive Results For Multiple Covid-19 Drug Candidates - March 25, 2020
- US Judge Slams Brakes on Telegram Token - March 25, 2020
- Game Development Companies Team Up with Blockchain Operation Forte to Unlock New Business Models for Games - March 24, 2020
- Blockchain Supply Chain Project Envoy teams up with KYC Hub - March 24, 2020
- CoinDCX, India’s Largest Cryptocurrency Exchange, Secures Successful Series A Round Led By Polychain Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, and HDR Group, operator of BitMEX - March 24, 2020
- Cartesi Launches Linux Infrastructure For Developing Blockchain DApps - March 24, 2020
- American Company HashCash Consultants Announce Coronavirus Crypto Relief Fund or CFIX - March 23, 2020
Also published on Medium.