On stage at IBM Edge, Leanne Kemp, the CEO and Founder of London-based Blockchain startup Everledger, unveiled the company’s newly constructed platform to digitally certify diamonds traced through the Kimberley Process certification process.
Built on the IBM Blockchain high-security business network on IBM Bluemix and delivered via the cloud, Everledger has spent the past year developing a global, digital ledger that tracks and protects the world’s luxury goods. IBM’s cloud-based Blockchain solution helps protect against unauthorized access and tampering to meet the stringent security requirements of the diamond industry by fighting against insider threats, protecting data, and securing entry points and the integrity of network, all through the unique advanced security features underpinned by IBM LinuxONE™.
Starting with the polished diamond industry, Everledger created relationships with the major diamond certification houses around the world to digitally encrypt over 1 million diamonds on the Blockchain. Now the company has extended this technology to tackle the trade of rough diamonds certified through the UN-mandated Kimberley Process.
“We have driven the pace of innovation over the past months to engineer the technology necessary for a solution of this scale to be released to market,” says Leanne Kemp, CEO and Founder of Everledger. “Working with IBM Blockchain as the backbone of our operations we’ve been able to move faster than anticipated to build a platform that can solve immediate problems being faced by the diamond industry, in addition to unlocking the potential to transform the way we protect commodities being traded in marketplaces globally.”
An evolution of Everledger’s current system, the new platform will ensure the security and traceability of rough diamonds certified through the Kimberley Process, a 3-step verification system created in 2003 with 81 authorised countries to curb the sale of conflict stones. Fast forward thirteen years: 99% of the world’s diamonds are now from conflict-free zones, but critical problems remain in the industry including insurance fraud, the financing of global pipelines and the tampering of official certification.
Paper based processes continue to cripple the transparency and authenticity required when it comes to the trade of diamonds. Recently, a fraudulent Kimberley Process certificate was reported in a shipment of synthetic stones from Sierra Leone to Hong Kong, and the number of fraudulent insurance claims continues to grow, with no viable way for insurers to guarantee the authentic product has been lost or stolen. All of these problems impact the availability of diamond supply chain finance as banks and financiers remain hesitant to risk more capital where losses continue to rise.
Building a system fueled by Blockchain’s core characteristics – immutability, security, speed and scalability – was Everledger’s first step towards ensuring the goods we’re trading and consuming are sourced by ethical means and can be traced throughout their lifetime journey.
“As a nascent technology, Blockchain holds a great deal of promise in addressing some of the world’s key challenges,” says Ross A. Mauri, general manager, IBM z Systems and LinuxONE. “Everledger’s dedication to applying Hyperledger Project-based Blockchain technology to combat the trade of conflict diamonds shows their commitment to innovating for real impact. The cloud-based high-security business network is helping make their offering ready for business.”
Everledger is committed to its work within the diamond industry and empowering several projects utilising Kimberley Certificates, with a particular focus on addressing the current supply chain finance concerns faced by critical market regions such as India and Israel.
Everledger continues to extend the company’s core capabilities to ensure transparency at every stage of a diamond’s journey from mine to counter.
- BlockMason Announces First SEC-Compliant Public American ICO - August 18, 2017
- Tightened EU Regulations Enabling Blockchain Technology in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain - August 18, 2017
- Mark Cuban Portfolio Company Unikrn Seeks to Sell $100 Million in UnikoinGold tokens - August 18, 2017
- Dash To Host Its First Ever Global Conference - August 17, 2017
- LAToken Tokenized Apple Shares to Sell Them for Cryptocurrencies - August 17, 2017
- Sensay, Groundbreaking AI and Chatbot Company Launches Token Sale - August 17, 2017
- ICOBox Token Presale Attracts $8.3 Million - August 17, 2017
- Indorse, the Decentralized Professional Social Network, Receives Additional Backing From Coinsilium After $5.5 million Pre-Sale - August 16, 2017
- Decentraland Partners With imToken, Connext, and Bitcoin Suisse - August 16, 2017
- Ethereum-based Car Towing Aggregator CarTaxi Plans ICO - August 16, 2017
- Ukraine Government to Allow Foreign Investors to Purchase Real Estate Online with Propy - August 16, 2017
- Cofound.it to Launch Weekly Crowdsales through September - August 15, 2017
- Blockstream Satellite: Broadcasting Bitcoin from Space - August 15, 2017
- Dr. Christian Seberino – Houston Texas Blockchain Course Kicks Off Friday August 18, 2017 - August 14, 2017
- Skycoin – Skywire Miner: Hardware for the Next Internet - August 12, 2017
- NSD and Waves kickstart development of Crypto Assets platform - August 12, 2017
- ICONOMI Introduces Columbus Capital As Its First Asset Management Partner - August 12, 2017
- Siberians to Launch ICO for Decentralized Betting eSports Platform - August 12, 2017
- Decentralized News Network Releases Alpha Update - August 12, 2017
- Gibraltar’s Fintech Sector Moves Forward – Awards Xapo E-money license - August 11, 2017
- AMBROSUS Partners with TREK THERAPEUTICS to Develop a Blockchain-powered Method to Track Quality in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing - August 11, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Becomes First VC To Hire ‘Head of Crypto-Economics’ With Appointment of Eden Dhaliwal - August 11, 2017
- Rivetz Raises $5.5 Million in RvT Token Pre-Sale; Public Token Crowdsale Begins Today, Capped at 200,000 ETH - August 10, 2017
- Leading Japanese VCs, Nippon Technology Venture Partners, FISCO Capitals, and ABBALab Inc all to invest in COMSA ICO tokens and XEM - August 10, 2017
- Binded Launches One Click U.S. Copyright Registrations - August 10, 2017
- Illinois Opens Blockchain Development Partnership with Hashed Health - August 9, 2017
- Jaxx and Cofound.it Partner to Give Best New Cryptocurrencies Immediate Liquidity - August 9, 2017
- GoldMint Project Plans to Provide 100 per cent Gold-Backed Stable Assets - August 9, 2017
- Launching a Blockchain Solution to Make Aviation Safer – Aeron.aero - August 9, 2017
- Blackmoon Financial Group Launches Blockchain-Based Platform for Tokenized Investment Funds - August 9, 2017
- SONM Launches Updated Platform With Discovery Algorithm - August 9, 2017
- AirFox Announces ICO to Make Mobile Data More Accessible and Affordable - August 8, 2017
- Golden Fleece Project To Expand Massive Altcoin Mining Ecosystem With Token Sale - August 8, 2017
- Notorious Lobbyist Jack Abramoff to Coach Bitcoin Activists in New Washington, DC-based Reality Docu-series from Blockchain Entertainment and Ignition Creative - August 8, 2017
- ATMChain’s Project In China With 7,000 Intelligent Media Screens ‘Goes Blockchain’ Through DECENT - August 8, 2017
- NEM.io Foundation Partners with Blockchain Global to Expand International Reach - August 8, 2017
- CFTE working with MAS to help ASEAN finance professionals acquire the skills of Finance 2.0 - August 8, 2017
- Rivetz International Partners with LAToken to Boost Marketplace Security on Mobile Devices - August 8, 2017
- investFeed Finishes Successful Token Generation Event - August 8, 2017
- Zen Protocol Unveils Testnet To Decentralize Finance - August 8, 2017
- Blockchain Startup JAAK Announce Official Pilot With Viacom UK - August 7, 2017
- RefToken Releases Blockchain Affiliate Platform Prototype – Announces Token Generation Event - August 5, 2017
- Dash Employs Elite Cybersecurity Service Bugcrowd to ‘Hack’ Its Blockchain - August 5, 2017
- 144,000 Free Spins up for grabs montly in BitStarz’s new Slot Battles! - August 5, 2017
- Stox Token Sale Raises $33 Million in 34 Hours – The Seventh Biggest of 2017 - August 4, 2017
- Swap Announces AIR Token Launch and AIRSWAP, a Decentralized, Peer-to-Peer Trading Platform - August 4, 2017
- investFeed Showcases First Version of Cryptocurrency-Based Social Investment Platform - August 3, 2017
- WePower Launches Blockchain-Powered Green Energy Platform and Token Sale - August 3, 2017
- DECENT Network introduces ATMChain - August 3, 2017
- Neufund Launches ICO Transparency Monitor to Judge ICOs Based on Smart Contract Design - August 3, 2017