On stage at IBM Edge, Leanne Kemp, the CEO and Founder of London-based Blockchain startup Everledger, unveiled the company’s newly constructed platform to digitally certify diamonds traced through the Kimberley Process certification process.
Built on the IBM Blockchain high-security business network on IBM Bluemix and delivered via the cloud, Everledger has spent the past year developing a global, digital ledger that tracks and protects the world’s luxury goods. IBM’s cloud-based Blockchain solution helps protect against unauthorized access and tampering to meet the stringent security requirements of the diamond industry by fighting against insider threats, protecting data, and securing entry points and the integrity of network, all through the unique advanced security features underpinned by IBM LinuxONE™.
Starting with the polished diamond industry, Everledger created relationships with the major diamond certification houses around the world to digitally encrypt over 1 million diamonds on the Blockchain. Now the company has extended this technology to tackle the trade of rough diamonds certified through the UN-mandated Kimberley Process.
“We have driven the pace of innovation over the past months to engineer the technology necessary for a solution of this scale to be released to market,” says Leanne Kemp, CEO and Founder of Everledger. “Working with IBM Blockchain as the backbone of our operations we’ve been able to move faster than anticipated to build a platform that can solve immediate problems being faced by the diamond industry, in addition to unlocking the potential to transform the way we protect commodities being traded in marketplaces globally.”
An evolution of Everledger’s current system, the new platform will ensure the security and traceability of rough diamonds certified through the Kimberley Process, a 3-step verification system created in 2003 with 81 authorised countries to curb the sale of conflict stones. Fast forward thirteen years: 99% of the world’s diamonds are now from conflict-free zones, but critical problems remain in the industry including insurance fraud, the financing of global pipelines and the tampering of official certification.
Paper based processes continue to cripple the transparency and authenticity required when it comes to the trade of diamonds. Recently, a fraudulent Kimberley Process certificate was reported in a shipment of synthetic stones from Sierra Leone to Hong Kong, and the number of fraudulent insurance claims continues to grow, with no viable way for insurers to guarantee the authentic product has been lost or stolen. All of these problems impact the availability of diamond supply chain finance as banks and financiers remain hesitant to risk more capital where losses continue to rise.
Building a system fueled by Blockchain’s core characteristics – immutability, security, speed and scalability – was Everledger’s first step towards ensuring the goods we’re trading and consuming are sourced by ethical means and can be traced throughout their lifetime journey.
“As a nascent technology, Blockchain holds a great deal of promise in addressing some of the world’s key challenges,” says Ross A. Mauri, general manager, IBM z Systems and LinuxONE. “Everledger’s dedication to applying Hyperledger Project-based Blockchain technology to combat the trade of conflict diamonds shows their commitment to innovating for real impact. The cloud-based high-security business network is helping make their offering ready for business.”
Everledger is committed to its work within the diamond industry and empowering several projects utilising Kimberley Certificates, with a particular focus on addressing the current supply chain finance concerns faced by critical market regions such as India and Israel.
Everledger continues to extend the company’s core capabilities to ensure transparency at every stage of a diamond’s journey from mine to counter.
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain - October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE - October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime - October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor - October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 - October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO - October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action - October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research - October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project - October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups - October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology - October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content - October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System - October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” - October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses - October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets - October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 - October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry - October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale - October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO - October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager - October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! - October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets - October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange - October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise - October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making - October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA - October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange - October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience - October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money - October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack - October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform - October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments - October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway - October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy - October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon - October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects - October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups - October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform - October 18, 2017
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos - October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta - October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token - October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt - October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors - October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale - October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion - October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold - October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale - October 16, 2017