On stage at IBM Edge, Leanne Kemp, the CEO and Founder of London-based Blockchain startup Everledger, unveiled the company’s newly constructed platform to digitally certify diamonds traced through the Kimberley Process certification process.
Built on the IBM Blockchain high-security business network on IBM Bluemix and delivered via the cloud, Everledger has spent the past year developing a global, digital ledger that tracks and protects the world’s luxury goods. IBM’s cloud-based Blockchain solution helps protect against unauthorized access and tampering to meet the stringent security requirements of the diamond industry by fighting against insider threats, protecting data, and securing entry points and the integrity of network, all through the unique advanced security features underpinned by IBM LinuxONE™.
Starting with the polished diamond industry, Everledger created relationships with the major diamond certification houses around the world to digitally encrypt over 1 million diamonds on the Blockchain. Now the company has extended this technology to tackle the trade of rough diamonds certified through the UN-mandated Kimberley Process.
“We have driven the pace of innovation over the past months to engineer the technology necessary for a solution of this scale to be released to market,” says Leanne Kemp, CEO and Founder of Everledger. “Working with IBM Blockchain as the backbone of our operations we’ve been able to move faster than anticipated to build a platform that can solve immediate problems being faced by the diamond industry, in addition to unlocking the potential to transform the way we protect commodities being traded in marketplaces globally.”
An evolution of Everledger’s current system, the new platform will ensure the security and traceability of rough diamonds certified through the Kimberley Process, a 3-step verification system created in 2003 with 81 authorised countries to curb the sale of conflict stones. Fast forward thirteen years: 99% of the world’s diamonds are now from conflict-free zones, but critical problems remain in the industry including insurance fraud, the financing of global pipelines and the tampering of official certification.
Paper based processes continue to cripple the transparency and authenticity required when it comes to the trade of diamonds. Recently, a fraudulent Kimberley Process certificate was reported in a shipment of synthetic stones from Sierra Leone to Hong Kong, and the number of fraudulent insurance claims continues to grow, with no viable way for insurers to guarantee the authentic product has been lost or stolen. All of these problems impact the availability of diamond supply chain finance as banks and financiers remain hesitant to risk more capital where losses continue to rise.
Building a system fueled by Blockchain’s core characteristics – immutability, security, speed and scalability – was Everledger’s first step towards ensuring the goods we’re trading and consuming are sourced by ethical means and can be traced throughout their lifetime journey.
“As a nascent technology, Blockchain holds a great deal of promise in addressing some of the world’s key challenges,” says Ross A. Mauri, general manager, IBM z Systems and LinuxONE. “Everledger’s dedication to applying Hyperledger Project-based Blockchain technology to combat the trade of conflict diamonds shows their commitment to innovating for real impact. The cloud-based high-security business network is helping make their offering ready for business.”
Everledger is committed to its work within the diamond industry and empowering several projects utilising Kimberley Certificates, with a particular focus on addressing the current supply chain finance concerns faced by critical market regions such as India and Israel.
Everledger continues to extend the company’s core capabilities to ensure transparency at every stage of a diamond’s journey from mine to counter.
- Dash Unveils Evolution Roadmap and Three-Year Plan - June 27, 2017
- Seven Major European Banks Select IBM to Bring Blockchain-Based Trade Finance to Small and Medium Enterprises - June 27, 2017
- EOS Blockchain Operating System Unveils Year-Long Token Distribution - June 27, 2017
- Blockchain Application Platform Lisk Announces First Major Release, Lisk Nano 1.0 - June 27, 2017
- Blockchain Startup AdEx, a Decentralized Ad Platform Developer to Launch a Token Sale - June 27, 2017
- First Ever Real Estate Project on Blockchain Launches in Amsterdam – ICO Today - June 26, 2017
- World’s first decentralized speech recognition platform plan to raising up to $3M on ICO - June 26, 2017
- A2B Direct to Launch a Blockchain Platform and Hold an ICO - June 24, 2017
- The ‘under the radar’ ICO, Populous. A platform tackling the Multi-Trillion Dollar international billings industry. - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TrueFlip Reinvents Business with 600 Year Long History of Fails - June 23, 2017
- EXMO exchange lists WAVES Blockchain Project - June 23, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Launch Date Announced - June 23, 2017
- Adex, A Decentralized Ad Network, Taps WINGS Platform For Community Engagement, Token Sale Value Discovery And Social Promotion - June 23, 2017
- Comcast’s Advanced Advertising Group And Participants Announce Blockchain-based Technology Platform - June 22, 2017
- Online Platform for Gamers to Release a Cryptocurrency for In-game Skins Trading; Launches an ICO - June 22, 2017
- Colu Launches Digital “Local Pound, East London” Currency to Empower Local Economies - June 21, 2017
- bitJob.io is Building a Student Employment Program on the Ethereum Blockchain – Launching ICO - June 21, 2017
- Blockchain Project Waves launches landmark USD gateway - June 21, 2017
- Status.im Raises $270m in Three Hours – Shattering Token Raise Record - June 21, 2017
- World’s First Mobile Data Exchange DENT Seeks to Disrupt Telco Market with Blockchain - June 20, 2017
- Financial Inclusion Company Everex Takes Home RemTECH Award For Ethereum Apps - June 18, 2017
- SONM Raises $42 Million in Token Raise - June 18, 2017
- WISeKey partners with the Blockchain Interface company RIDDLE&CODE to develop innovative solutions for securing IoT via Blockchain technology and crypto-hardware - June 17, 2017
- Bancor Announces $153 Million Raise, Largest Token Generation Event in History - June 17, 2017
- CORION Announces Final Coin Sale Details to Build its Revolutionary Platform & Stable-Rate Currency - June 17, 2017
- Enhancing the value of history with ZenDao – ICO announcement - June 16, 2017
- FunFair Announces Token Creation Event on June 22 for World’s Fastest Blockchain Casino Platform - June 15, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Venture Nimiq Announces Token Sale - June 14, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Makes Multi-Million Dollar Investment in Distributed IoT Marketplace ‘IOTA’ Through Major Token Purchase - June 14, 2017
- Bancor Token Allocation Event Smashes Record – Raises over $150 Million - June 13, 2017
- Consensys Introduces Omega One - June 12, 2017
- MetaX and DMA Join Forces to Launch adChain: a Blockchain Solution to Digital Advertising Fraud - June 12, 2017
- Aeternity Raises $24 million Over Phase Two of Token Sale - June 12, 2017
- HyperChain Capital announces Collaboration and Investment in CoinDash - June 12, 2017
- Community-Driven Cryptocurrency Credits Announces First Public Release - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Announces New Partners Before Upcoming Token Allocation Event - June 12, 2017
- Investors from Russia are launching a venture fund formed on blockchain - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Adds Heavyweight Advisory Team to their Foundation – Token Allocation Event Kicks off Today - June 12, 2017
- Bancor Protocol Foundation Adds Author and Euro Designer Bernard Lietaer as Chief Monetary Architect - June 10, 2017
- Russian Billionaire Announces Business Incubator on Waves Platform - June 9, 2017
- Bancor Launches Crowdfunding Valuation And Promotion Via Wings Dao On Ethereum - June 9, 2017
- Coinsilium invests in Indorse.io Decentralised Professional Network - June 8, 2017
- Cofound.it Breaks Pre-Sale Record, Selling Out With Priority Pass Before Public Token Sale - June 7, 2017
- Cofound.it Token Pre-Sale Reaches $5 Million Threshold Within Three Hours, Announces First Three Projects - June 5, 2017
- Blockchain Startup DECENT Testnet #2 Launched! - June 4, 2017
- Blockchain Challenge Dubai Announces Winners- Awarded $45,000 - June 4, 2017
- Waves Ceo Sasha Ivanov: Blockchain Will Lead To Rapid Progress Not Only In State Administration, But Also In Business - June 4, 2017
- Exscudo ICO Successfully Concluded – $5M Dollars Raised - June 1, 2017
- Aventus launches Ethereum-based Event Ticketing Solution - June 1, 2017
- Brave Token Sale Blasts Records With $35 Million in 30 Seconds - June 1, 2017