On stage at IBM Edge, Leanne Kemp, the CEO and Founder of London-based Blockchain startup Everledger, unveiled the company’s newly constructed platform to digitally certify diamonds traced through the Kimberley Process certification process.
Built on the IBM Blockchain high-security business network on IBM Bluemix and delivered via the cloud, Everledger has spent the past year developing a global, digital ledger that tracks and protects the world’s luxury goods. IBM’s cloud-based Blockchain solution helps protect against unauthorized access and tampering to meet the stringent security requirements of the diamond industry by fighting against insider threats, protecting data, and securing entry points and the integrity of network, all through the unique advanced security features underpinned by IBM LinuxONE™.
Starting with the polished diamond industry, Everledger created relationships with the major diamond certification houses around the world to digitally encrypt over 1 million diamonds on the Blockchain. Now the company has extended this technology to tackle the trade of rough diamonds certified through the UN-mandated Kimberley Process.
“We have driven the pace of innovation over the past months to engineer the technology necessary for a solution of this scale to be released to market,” says Leanne Kemp, CEO and Founder of Everledger. “Working with IBM Blockchain as the backbone of our operations we’ve been able to move faster than anticipated to build a platform that can solve immediate problems being faced by the diamond industry, in addition to unlocking the potential to transform the way we protect commodities being traded in marketplaces globally.”
An evolution of Everledger’s current system, the new platform will ensure the security and traceability of rough diamonds certified through the Kimberley Process, a 3-step verification system created in 2003 with 81 authorised countries to curb the sale of conflict stones. Fast forward thirteen years: 99% of the world’s diamonds are now from conflict-free zones, but critical problems remain in the industry including insurance fraud, the financing of global pipelines and the tampering of official certification.
Paper based processes continue to cripple the transparency and authenticity required when it comes to the trade of diamonds. Recently, a fraudulent Kimberley Process certificate was reported in a shipment of synthetic stones from Sierra Leone to Hong Kong, and the number of fraudulent insurance claims continues to grow, with no viable way for insurers to guarantee the authentic product has been lost or stolen. All of these problems impact the availability of diamond supply chain finance as banks and financiers remain hesitant to risk more capital where losses continue to rise.
Building a system fueled by Blockchain’s core characteristics – immutability, security, speed and scalability – was Everledger’s first step towards ensuring the goods we’re trading and consuming are sourced by ethical means and can be traced throughout their lifetime journey.
“As a nascent technology, Blockchain holds a great deal of promise in addressing some of the world’s key challenges,” says Ross A. Mauri, general manager, IBM z Systems and LinuxONE. “Everledger’s dedication to applying Hyperledger Project-based Blockchain technology to combat the trade of conflict diamonds shows their commitment to innovating for real impact. The cloud-based high-security business network is helping make their offering ready for business.”
Everledger is committed to its work within the diamond industry and empowering several projects utilising Kimberley Certificates, with a particular focus on addressing the current supply chain finance concerns faced by critical market regions such as India and Israel.
Everledger continues to extend the company’s core capabilities to ensure transparency at every stage of a diamond’s journey from mine to counter.
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017
- World’s First Cryptocurrency Fund Listed on Exchange - December 25, 2016
- Dubai Future Accelerators Program Invests US$33m In Pilot Projects Including Blockchain - December 23, 2016
- IC3 Publishes Research on Blockchain Utilization of Intel Software Guard Extensions Offering Enhanced Protection - December 23, 2016