IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for humanity, and the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA), today announced the world’s first Advancing HealthTech for Humanity virtual Blockchain workshop, designed to enhance participants’ knowledge of Blockchain technology and platforms.
The virtual workshop, which launched on 22 September and runs through 21 October 2016, will help demystify Blockchain technology and give participants a better understanding of its capabilities, with an improved ability to address key challenges in healthcare today relating to privacy and security.
“This is a great opportunity to make a real impact and we are excited to be a part of it. By having experts involved, we decrease the time to possibly solve identified problems while increasing relevant and in-demand field skillsets”
IEEE-SA has partnered with precision medicine and patient-centric experts and platform providers to bring the first ever virtual Blockchain workshop, which welcomes healthcare practitioners, researchers, scientists, patient advocates, incentive designers, developers, students, and entrepreneurs interested in making an impact toward some of the real challenges in healthcare today.
“As a unifying force and a catalyst for advancing technology innovation and implementation, IEEE is ideally positioned to bring diverse stakeholders in the Blockchain ecosystem together to build consensus, support the standardization process, focus on education, and help advance Blockchain technologies,” said Greg Adamson, chair, IEEE Blockchain Special Interest Group, and president of the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology.
“This event is perfectly timed as it seeks to advance the understanding, via real world usage, of the potential of distributed ledger technologies precisely when healthcare and life sciences industries are actively assessing the massive value of longitudinal health data exchange. If all goes to plan, outcomes and learnings from this collaborative event will make a real impact on the efficacy of its adoption curve,” said Michael Dillhyon, CEO of YouBase, Inc., creator of a Personal Health Information eXchange Layer (PIXL) that utilizes distributed ledger technologies.
“We’re delighted to participate in the IEEE Virtual Blockchain Workshop for HealthTech. We see Blockchain as a valuable general purpose technology, whose applications go far beyond the current focus in the finance sector,’ said Dr. Gideon Greenspan, Founder and CEO, Coin Sciences Ltd. “Blockchain is suitable for creating shared immutable databases in any field, and healthcare is undoubtedly an area with deep potential.”
Participants in the IEEE-SA’s Advancing HealthTech for Humanity virtual Blockchain workshop will gain a better understanding of several of the key challenges related to healthcare, develop a base level understanding of Blockchain technologies, and receive support to leverage participating Blockchain platforms available on the market today. Workshop challenges focus on areas such as patient anonymity, addressing the problem of counterfeit medicines, and patient-driven interoperability. Specific challenges for the first virtual workshop include:
- How can we use Blockchain-related technologies to drive patient-driven interoperability?
- Can Blockchain technology facilitate incentivization of data sharing between patients and researchers?
- Exploring the use of Blockchain technology to secure the drug supply chain against counterfeit medicines
- Can the healthcare Blockchain be used as a platform to aggregate the many different data stores patient data may live on?
“This is an innovative event that increases both awareness of a potentially game-changing technology in the context of real issues that the industry faces,” said Professor Kevin Clauson, PharmD and Associate Professor at the College of Pharmacy at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN.
“This is a great opportunity to make a real impact and we are excited to be a part of it. By having experts involved, we decrease the time to possibly solve identified problems while increasing relevant and in-demand field skillsets,” added Professor Timothy Mackey, PhD, Director of GHPi and an Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Global Public Health at University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.
Selected submissions demonstrating progress toward achieving challenge statements will be recognized at the IEEE Computer Society’s Rock Stars of Emerging Technology event taking place on 2 November 2016 in El Segundo, CA.
To join, sponsor or learn more about this innovative event, visit Blockchain.ieee.org
Individuals interested in IEEE Collabratec™ Blockchain learning more about the IEEE’s Blockchain Special Interest Group, can visit: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/102/activities
The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting body within IEEE, develops consensus standards through an open process that engages industry and brings together a broad stakeholder community. IEEE standards set specifications and best practices based on current scientific and technological knowledge. The IEEE-SA has a portfolio of over 1,100 active standards and more than 500 standards under development. For more information visit http://standards.ieee.org.
IEEE is the largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice in a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers, and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power, and consumer electronics. Learn more at http://www.ieee.org.
- FINRA Seeks Comment on New Report on the Potential Implications of Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- Finlync Designs ERP Integration to Distributed Ledger and Blockchain - January 18, 2017
- European Central Bank Considering Digital Currency – Cryptocash - January 18, 2017
- US Homeland Security Testing Blockchain To Track People, Goods Across Borders - January 17, 2017
- Israeli Tax Authorities Might Go After Bitcoin - January 16, 2017
- Senior US Regulator David Blaszkowsky Joins Canadian Blockchain Intelligence Group (BIG) Advisory Board - January 16, 2017
- Seven European Banks Cut Blockchain Deal to Facilitate Easier Cross-Border SME Commerce - January 16, 2017
- Marketforce to Host 2nd Annual The Blockchain Summit on 28th March 2017 in London - January 15, 2017
- Waves Platform Implements New Blockchain Scalability Approaches - January 14, 2017
- China’s Puerbank Group Launches Global Node for A Standardized Blockchain-Based Digital Currency in the UK - January 14, 2017
- DU and Guardtime Partner with Dubai’s NMC Hospital to Revolutionize Electronic Health Records with Blockchain Technology - January 14, 2017
- Report: Blockchain Slated to Become $8 Billion Global Industry By 2024 - January 14, 2017
- Blockchain Could Save Financial Services $110 billion over Next Three Years - January 14, 2017
- Russia Embraces Bitcoin – No Plans to Ban Cryptocurrencies - January 14, 2017
- Canadian BTL Group Completes Blockchain Pilot With Major Global Energy Company - January 12, 2017
- Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance and NTT DATA Cut Blockchain PoC For Insurance - January 12, 2017
- HfS Research Recognises VirtusaPolaris for Emerging Blockchain Services in BFSI - January 12, 2017
- Deloitte Launches Blockchain Lab in New York - January 12, 2017
- SWIFT launches Blockchain Proof of Concept In Hyperledger - January 12, 2017
- Blockchain VIP’s to Gather for Major Retreat This Month - January 12, 2017
- IBM Watson Health and US FDA Announce Blockchain Healthcare Data Project - January 12, 2017
- Equibit Development Corporation Sets $7 million Funding Target, Crowdsale Date - January 12, 2017
- US National Science Foundation Offers $8.5m in Funding for Blockchain Proposals for Cyberinfrastructure Security - January 11, 2017
- China Poised to Dominate Fintech and Blockchain Markets in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- Respectonomy Social Network To Tackle Censorship Using Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- South Korea Plans to Launch a Full-Scale Pilot Project on Blockchain-powered Financial Services - January 10, 2017
- Postal Savings Bank of China (PSBC) Announces First Blockchain Financial Service - January 10, 2017
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Releases Bullish Report on Blockchain for Clearing, Settlement - January 10, 2017
- Blockchain TV – TED Talk | How the Blockchain will Radically Transform the Economy | Bettina Warburg - January 10, 2017
- Alfa-Bank and S7 Airlines Close Blockchain Deal in Russia - January 10, 2017
- Life.SREDA and the Russian Republic of Tatarstan To Introduce Blockchain Technology For Public Administration System - January 10, 2017
- Union Square Ventures Leads $4M Funding Round for Blockchain Startup Blockstack - January 10, 2017
- US Department of Energy Eyeing Blockchain Solutions for Security – Seeking Proposals - January 10, 2017
- India’s Axis Bank to Use Ripple Blockchain for Cross-Border Remittances - January 10, 2017
- Georgia to Store Real Estate Documents in Blockchain System with Bitfury Group and Hernando de Soto - January 10, 2017
- US Depository Trust & Clearing Corporation Selects IBM, AXONI and R3 to Develop Derivatives Processing On Blockchain - January 10, 2017
- Grantcoin Foundation Expands Board of Directors – Distribution Rescheduled to Late January - January 8, 2017
- UNICEF, UK Home Office and BTCC to speak at London Blockchain Week 2017 - January 6, 2017
- American Company The Seam to Form Cotton Blockchain Consortium with IBM on Hyperledger Fabric - January 5, 2017
- Move over Bitcoin – MIT Cryptographer Silvio Micali and his Public Ledger ALGORAND… The Future of Blockchain? - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain to Play Role in Future of Transportation? UBS Teams up with ZF and innology SE to Make it Happen - January 5, 2017
- Blockchain Group Hyperledger Expands into China - January 5, 2017
- The Evolution Of Casinos – Next Generation Transparent Ethereum Smart Contracts Based Casino “Edgeless” - January 5, 2017
- Healthcare Sector Plans to Move Hard and Fast to Blockchain in 2017 - January 5, 2017
- Russia Eyes Blockchain Potential for National Payment System - January 5, 2017
- Bitfury Group Launches Global Blockchain Business Council - January 4, 2017
- India’s Yes Bank Enlists IBM to Help Build Blockchain Solutions - January 4, 2017
- World’s First Cryptocurrency Fund Listed on Exchange - December 25, 2016
- Dubai Future Accelerators Program Invests US$33m In Pilot Projects Including Blockchain - December 23, 2016
- IC3 Publishes Research on Blockchain Utilization of Intel Software Guard Extensions Offering Enhanced Protection - December 23, 2016