IEEE, the world’s largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for humanity, and the IEEE Standards Association (IEEE-SA), today announced the world’s first Advancing HealthTech for Humanity virtual Blockchain workshop, designed to enhance participants’ knowledge of Blockchain technology and platforms.
The virtual workshop, which launched on 22 September and runs through 21 October 2016, will help demystify Blockchain technology and give participants a better understanding of its capabilities, with an improved ability to address key challenges in healthcare today relating to privacy and security.
“This is a great opportunity to make a real impact and we are excited to be a part of it. By having experts involved, we decrease the time to possibly solve identified problems while increasing relevant and in-demand field skillsets”
IEEE-SA has partnered with precision medicine and patient-centric experts and platform providers to bring the first ever virtual Blockchain workshop, which welcomes healthcare practitioners, researchers, scientists, patient advocates, incentive designers, developers, students, and entrepreneurs interested in making an impact toward some of the real challenges in healthcare today.
“As a unifying force and a catalyst for advancing technology innovation and implementation, IEEE is ideally positioned to bring diverse stakeholders in the Blockchain ecosystem together to build consensus, support the standardization process, focus on education, and help advance Blockchain technologies,” said Greg Adamson, chair, IEEE Blockchain Special Interest Group, and president of the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology.
“This event is perfectly timed as it seeks to advance the understanding, via real world usage, of the potential of distributed ledger technologies precisely when healthcare and life sciences industries are actively assessing the massive value of longitudinal health data exchange. If all goes to plan, outcomes and learnings from this collaborative event will make a real impact on the efficacy of its adoption curve,” said Michael Dillhyon, CEO of YouBase, Inc., creator of a Personal Health Information eXchange Layer (PIXL) that utilizes distributed ledger technologies.
“We’re delighted to participate in the IEEE Virtual Blockchain Workshop for HealthTech. We see Blockchain as a valuable general purpose technology, whose applications go far beyond the current focus in the finance sector,’ said Dr. Gideon Greenspan, Founder and CEO, Coin Sciences Ltd. “Blockchain is suitable for creating shared immutable databases in any field, and healthcare is undoubtedly an area with deep potential.”
Participants in the IEEE-SA’s Advancing HealthTech for Humanity virtual Blockchain workshop will gain a better understanding of several of the key challenges related to healthcare, develop a base level understanding of Blockchain technologies, and receive support to leverage participating Blockchain platforms available on the market today. Workshop challenges focus on areas such as patient anonymity, addressing the problem of counterfeit medicines, and patient-driven interoperability. Specific challenges for the first virtual workshop include:
- How can we use Blockchain-related technologies to drive patient-driven interoperability?
- Can Blockchain technology facilitate incentivization of data sharing between patients and researchers?
- Exploring the use of Blockchain technology to secure the drug supply chain against counterfeit medicines
- Can the healthcare Blockchain be used as a platform to aggregate the many different data stores patient data may live on?
“This is an innovative event that increases both awareness of a potentially game-changing technology in the context of real issues that the industry faces,” said Professor Kevin Clauson, PharmD and Associate Professor at the College of Pharmacy at Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN.
“This is a great opportunity to make a real impact and we are excited to be a part of it. By having experts involved, we decrease the time to possibly solve identified problems while increasing relevant and in-demand field skillsets,” added Professor Timothy Mackey, PhD, Director of GHPi and an Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology and Global Public Health at University of California, San Diego School of Medicine.
Selected submissions demonstrating progress toward achieving challenge statements will be recognized at the IEEE Computer Society’s Rock Stars of Emerging Technology event taking place on 2 November 2016 in El Segundo, CA.
To join, sponsor or learn more about this innovative event, visit Blockchain.ieee.org
Individuals interested in IEEE Collabratec™ Blockchain learning more about the IEEE’s Blockchain Special Interest Group, can visit: https://ieee-collabratec.ieee.org/app/community/102/activities
The IEEE Standards Association, a globally recognized standards-setting body within IEEE, develops consensus standards through an open process that engages industry and brings together a broad stakeholder community. IEEE standards set specifications and best practices based on current scientific and technological knowledge. The IEEE-SA has a portfolio of over 1,100 active standards and more than 500 standards under development. For more information visit http://standards.ieee.org.
IEEE is the largest technical professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Through its highly cited publications, conferences, technology standards, and professional and educational activities, IEEE is the trusted voice in a wide variety of areas ranging from aerospace systems, computers, and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power, and consumer electronics. Learn more at http://www.ieee.org.
- Spotify acquires Blockchain Startup Mediachain Labs - April 29, 2017
- Trusted Identities in Blockchain Apps Shown to Work To Benefit Healthcare and Pharma - April 28, 2017
- Ten More Banks Join Ripple’s Global Payments Network - April 28, 2017
- Token.FM, First Blockchain-Based Direct-to-Fan Music Platform, to Launch Initial Trial in May, Opens Series A Round - April 28, 2017
- Mysterium To Build Blockchain-based VPN for Secure, Anonymous Internet Connection - April 28, 2017
- TaaS token crowdsale concludes with $7.7 million raised - April 28, 2017
- Humaniq Humanitarian Blockchain ICO breaks the $5 million barrier - April 28, 2017
- Exscudo, Blockchain Financial Services Provider Launches ICO - April 27, 2017
- Kibo Platforms’ Beta Version Be Launched in the Beginning of May - April 25, 2017
- Distributed Cloud Platform iEx.ec attracts $12M in Three Hours in ICO - April 25, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Working Group – Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) – The Way Forward - April 25, 2017
- Blockchain App Humaniq’s HMQ Token to be Traded on Six Exchanges - April 24, 2017
- Five days left until Blockchain Startup Exscudo ICO - April 21, 2017
- Apptrade to Reward Crowdsale Participants with Three Percent Bonus - April 21, 2017
- Blockchain Technology Startup Humaniq Raises $3.8M and Signs Contract With Deloitte - April 21, 2017
- Monolith Studio Announces Crowdsale for TokenCard, the First Debit Card Powered by Smart Contracts - April 20, 2017
- Blockchain Co. SingularDTV Recruits Hollywood VP - April 18, 2017
- Factom Closes Extended Series A Round of $8 Million Following Harmony Product Launch - April 18, 2017
- Interview with Back to Earth founder Clay Space - April 18, 2017
- Ethereum Movie Initial Coin Offering Sell Out - April 18, 2017
- Insurtech Startup Etherisc Wins “Blockchain Oscar” for Innovative Insurance Platform - April 14, 2017
- India’s Blockchain Community Launches Digital Asset and Blockchain Foundation - April 14, 2017
- UK EPSRC Supports Seven Blockchain Projects with £3.6 Million - April 14, 2017
- Dutch National Blockchain Coalition Presents Action Agenda - April 14, 2017
- Broadridge, J.P. Morgan, Northern Trust and Banco Santander Successfully Complete Pilot of for Blockchain Voting - April 14, 2017
- Blockgeeks Labs to Hold Blockchain Hackathon in Toronto - April 14, 2017
- Exscudo network EON coins are available for pre-order - April 13, 2017
- One of Big Four accounting firms is now legal adviser of Exscudo - April 12, 2017
- Dash Cryptocurrency Signs on with Kraken - April 12, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Closes ICO – $10 Million in Six Hours Raised in Record Time - April 11, 2017
- Ethereum meets Hyperledger – Burrow Ethereum Smart Contract Machine to Join Hyperledger - April 11, 2017
- Porsche Announces First Blockchain Contest - April 10, 2017
- Fidelity Labs Joins IC3 Blockchain Group - April 10, 2017
- Global Graphchain Project FERMAT Announces Distributed Governance Model Featuring Contribution Contracts - April 10, 2017
- Coinsilium and Oraclize sign MoU to form Strategic Alliance - April 10, 2017
- Industry Thought Leaders Invest With Blockchain Capital in its Ground-Breaking ICO - April 8, 2017
- Novus To Launch Innovative Blockchain Advanced File Index System - April 5, 2017
- Lykke Announces OEM Services – Lykke Accelerator - April 5, 2017
- BitHub.Africa Announces ICO Campaign to Foster Region’s Cryptocurrency Ecosystem - April 5, 2017
- SibCoin: Siberia Down, China to Go - April 4, 2017
- Groundbreaking Blockchain Research to Feature at International Financial Cryptography Conference - April 4, 2017
- Exscudo, The Nextgen Financial System, Announces ICO - April 4, 2017
- A Film by Manuel Stagars – The Blockchain And Us Video Documentary – Released in Full - April 4, 2017
- Genpact Harnesses Blockchain Technology to Transform F&A Operations to Improve Cash Flow and Enhance Customer Experience - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Startup TaaS Partners With Exchange Platforms - April 4, 2017
- Synereo announces Qrator – The First Attention Economy App - April 4, 2017
- Blockchain Capital Releases Offering Memorandum for Its $10 Million Digital Token Offering - April 4, 2017
- Lykke Announces Availability of Blockchain Startup ChronoBank TIME Token - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Workspace Launches Blockchain Education Company in Amsterdam, Netherlands - April 3, 2017
- Blockchain Startup SingularDTV Goes Hollywood - April 1, 2017